Photo
- - - - -

So.....tell me about Raleigh.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

Thinking of applying for a position there with the company that laid me off back in April. I have about 3 more months on worker's comp and then it's desperation time. As much as I despise the company for laying me off under the guise of "poor economy" (the guys in my area have worked steady OT since my throat was cut...obviously there wasn't enough work to keep me employed), it is the field I've worked in my whole adult life and the one I'm most qualified for. So, I have to swallow whatever ill feelings I have for them and hope they'll bring me back.

No positions in my current area and the next closest is Arlington, VA. I won't work based out of there as it's a clusterphuk of humanity rivaling the population density of China. Not to mention an outrageous cost of living.

But back to Raleigh...I've only been there a couple times when I've had service calls to IBM in RTP, so I've not seen much of the area. Supposing this happens...how's living in that end of the triangle. Bear in mind that I would be working all over that area of NC (and down into Charlotte as well on occasion I believe) so I wouldn't have to live in Raleigh-proper...I could place myself between there and Charlotte or on any other suburb of the town. I know enough to stay away from Durham based on a thread I made a year or two ago when I came down to help with a big installation at SunTrust.

#2 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

Live in Cary. That's why it's there.

#3 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

Live in Cary. That's why it's there.

first reply and you gots to take a swipe at me, eh? :)

#4 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

I don't do suburbs but that's where the suburbanites go....and the Yankees.

We were looking up there during the summer. Looked at Carboro, CH, and a few spots in Raleigh. Even parts of Durham are nice, the downtown is awesome but nobody is there yet after they cleaned it up.

#5 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Raleigh is a mess IMO. Unbelievably spread out and boring.

I'd live in Chapel Hill, but then again, I'm not afraid of libruhls.

#6 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

You could live in Zebulon. I hear it's a town.

#7 SMACKDAB

SMACKDAB

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

They have an airport, and the morning and evening traffic sucks donkey balls. When kids have to kid up at 5 in the morning to get to school by 8....well you get the picture. I'm sure that's most cities though.

Not a bad place, I would find somewhere on the outskirts though....but that's just me. If you are looking at buying, Cary has the most over inflated prices of anywhere around for property.

If you decide to do it, let me know. I have a friend that has a couple of empty houses that you could probably rent to start off with, and reasonable.

#8 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I don't do suburbs but that's where the suburbanites go....and the Yankees.

I'm more of a small town person....the town I live in now has a population of about 15,000 (and sometimes that's too many people for me). From what I can tell, Cary is over 100K so I'd sooner look for more of a suburb. Hell, a 90 minute drive from Raleigh would be fine with me.

Raleigh is a mess IMO. Unbelievably spread out and boring.

Boring is good...I don't need the nightlife, I don't like to boogie.

Not a bad place, I would find somewhere on the outskirts though....but that's just me.

absolutely...if the town has a Best Buy, it's probably too big for my liking. I like to drive to those types of towns, get what I need, and get out.

If you decide to do it, let me know. I have a friend that has a couple of empty houses that you could probably rent to start off with, and reasonable.

Will do...right now, if asked me to give a percentage of likelihood that this will happen, I'd have to use a decimal point. It's nothing more than speculation by me right now...I have no idea if the company would even take me back. My feeling is that they dumped me because I got hit by the drunk and now see me as damaged goods.

#9 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

My high school love affair lives their now, if you meet Candra Jordan tell here Nick says hi. haha

#10 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

ok..so you want to live in BFE....well according to the map...Sanford, NC is too big...so let's go a little smaller...to Robbins, NC...

http://www.city-data...h-Carolina.html

Population in July 2008: 1,225.

that's a/b as BFE as you can get

Good Luck

#11 SMACKDAB

SMACKDAB

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

and now see me as damaged goods.

We can rebuild you....we have the technology....come to the South. We'll make you stronger than a locomotive, faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound.

In da SOUTH baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:

#12 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

I was joking at first, but Zebulon sounds like what you described. It's got 5,000 people and it's a half hour from Raleigh.

#13 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

Move to Pinehurst. Join one of the golf courses. And invite me to play for free every weekend.

#14 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

• HUDDLER
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Yes, move to Pinehurst. You and I could be neighbors. My FIL can build you a house. Or you can buy one of his existing homes. We are about an hour from Raleigh.

#15 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

ok..so you want to live in BFE....well according to the map...Sanford, NC is too big...so let's go a little smaller...to Robbins, NC...

Robbins is a little bit extreme BFE...Sanford doesn't look too bad (little more than half the size of Cary and loads smaller than Raleigh).

I was joking at first, but Zebulon sounds like what you described. It's got 5,000 people and it's a half hour from Raleigh.

Hmm.....

Move to Pinehurst. Join one of the golf courses. And invite me to play for free every weekend.

I share Al Czervik's opinion of golf...so no chance of free golf from me unless they turn the courses into an open shooting range.

Yes, move to Pinehurst. You and I could be neighbors. My FIL can build you a house. Or you can buy one of his existing homes. We are about an hour from Raleigh.

Sex cookies! :)

Really....I'm way ahead of myself on this, but still it's good info to have. Thanks, all.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com