22 replies to this topic

#16 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

I don't know much about accounting because I didn't major in it, but she tells me that it's nearly impossible to land a job with any of the big 4 without a masters degree.

Not true, they don't care what you have as long as you able to sit for your CPA exam when they will hire you. Who you think goes for MACC? Its not just for an accounting people but also for Economics, Finance, and other business majors. poo Tensor, you can apply for MACC too if you want too. All you need is a good GPA which you have and good GMAT score. Many MACC people have just as many classes in accounting as an average undergrad (3 more classes). I had bunch of MACC graduate students in my undergrad classes.

#17 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

The additional expense is easily made up in a few years because the average starting salary (and overall career prospects) are much better with a masters. When she worked her internship over the summer, the company she worked for wouldn't even hire you if you didn't have a masters for the Tax department. They hired some auditors with only a CPA, but they made about 20k less than those in the tax department.

MACC might give you little advantage but not a big one tho. You wont make $100,000 with just MACC. CPA gives you big advantage cause you can actually certify. Audit always pays more than tax, I'm not sure what the deal with the company she worked for. Specially with IFRS coming up, trust me, auditors will get paid big.

#18 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

Anyone that gets a MACC and not a CPA is retarded. They'd have the required classes, why not get certified?

#19 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

Anyone that gets a MACC and not a CPA is retarded. They'd have the required classes, why not get certified?

Maybe they tried, failed, and gave up? Only 47% of people pass CPA exam. :(

#20 Sameday

Sameday

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:21 PM

Not true, they don't care what you have as long as you able to sit for your CPA exam when they will hire you. Who you think goes for MACC? Its not just for an accounting people but also for Economics, Finance, and other business majors. poo Tensor, you can apply for MACC too if you want too. All you need is a good GPA which you have and good GMAT score. Many MACC people have just as many classes in accounting as an average undergrad (3 more classes). I had bunch of MACC graduate students in my undergrad classes.

MACC takes 2 years if you don't have an undergraduate degree in accounting. Tensor tell your friend to pass the CPA before finishing college and they won't have any problems getting into a big firm.

#21 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Maybe they tried, failed, and gave up? Only 47% of people pass CPA exam. :(

If 47% of the people at your school fail the test, I'd go to another school.

#22 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

That's the national average, not the rate for Charlotte. A lower % of people pass the CPA exam than the Bar exam. I have no idea what it is for UNCC, so I have no idea how it compares to the national average.

#23 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

That's the national average, not the rate for Charlotte. A lower % of people pass the CPA exam than the Bar exam. I have no idea what it is for UNCC, so I have no idea how it compares to the national average.

I know that one of UNCC alumni got 99% on all 4 parts last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.