• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

This is a team that was 13-20 last year and they played UNC even in the second half. Carolina is going to be good this year but are way overrated at #4. Drew did about what I expected him to do...7 pts, 6 assists, 1 steal, and a couple TOs. The team as a whole had 26 TOs...26. I'm telling you right now, there are a few teams in the ACC that are going to feast on numbers like those.

They are a 22-8 team this year. The losses I have them pegged for are:

@OSU
@UK
vs TEX
@Duke
@MD
@VaTech

Add in 2 wildcard games that nobody ever thinks will happen and you have a 22-8 team. Still good enough to get a 5 seed because they are Carolina. There is a theme with 5 of the 6 teams that I picked to beat UNC...can anyone figure it out?

#2 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

being on the road is going to be tough for this young team to overcome, Texas will also be on the road it is played in Dallas Stadium.......I think you may have something for the first 4 loses. Only objections I have is this

Carolina will continue to develop throughout the season and they will be much better than what they are now

Teams like Ohio St and Duke all depend if the 3 ball is dropping, OSU actually is one of the scariest teams when it comes to the outside shot, because almost everybody on the floor can hit them. Duke however not so much, they aren't quite as young as the Heels, but they are still young. Minus Singler who is really the only real talent with experience they will rely on a lot of younger players.

I think with teams like Kentucky are the ones to watch.....They have depth and are built on speed, just like Carolina last season. I think even though they are young they will blow most teams out with a losses here and there probably against more physical teams

#3 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

A couple things I didn't like from last night:

1. Obviously the 26 turnovers. But coming from a very young team, in their first game, it isn't acceptable, but it is understandable.

2. I did not like the fast breaks, They were sloppy and usually resulted in a turnover. Many times I saw Drew, Strickland, or one of the big guys losing their dribble.

3. How scrony Henson is. He is still very fuggin good, but he needs to put on some frickin weight, send the kid to McDonalds!!

Overall I think this team is very capable of a 25 win season, but I wouldn't disagree with your 22-8 record. I still think that we can win the ACC pretty convincingly, those three games in early December vs MSU, UK, and Texas are going make or break this team.

#4 love2hateroy

love2hateroy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

Minus Singler who is really the only real talent with experience they will rely on a lot of younger players.

Nolan is going to surprise a lot of people.

#5 TyHillPanthers

TyHillPanthers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

A couple things I didn't like from last night:

1. Obviously the 26 turnovers. But coming from a very young team, in their first game, it isn't acceptable, but it is understandable.

2. I did not like the fast breaks, They were sloppy and usually resulted in a turnover. Many times I saw Drew, Strickland, or one of the big guys losing their dribble.

3. How scrony Henson is. He is still very fuggin good, but he needs to put on some frickin weight, send the kid to McDonalds!!

Overall I think this team is very capable of a 25 win season, but I wouldn't disagree with your 22-8 record. I still think that we can win the ACC pretty convincingly, those three games in early December vs MSU, UK, and Texas are going make or break this team.

I agree with most everything but the MSU , UK and Texas games can only help regardless of the outcome..Those 3 will be good test and good prep before the ACC play begins.

Henson is def thin but as you saw he was always out there with either Davis or Thompson (sometimes both) so I think he wont be taking on too many centers although I expect him to continue to build but I think he will be key for us defensively. Offensively hes more of a face to basket type of player..he wont post much I dont think (unless Roy molds him into that).

As for the fast breaks they really need to slow the ball down..I was pissed seeing Thompson try and run the court with the ball. Strickland usually was out of control but Larry Drew, that kid will be a great PG toward the end he was getting good dribble penetration, looking for the open man, and would take the shot if he was open. I dont think the 3 point play will be as bad as we think but the perimeter defense will also be key, cause honestly not many will get points in the paint with ease against UNC. I can also see Drew and Henson/Davis hooking up on a lot of fast break dunks.

You also can definitely tell Ginyard has worked on that shot..his stroke was perfect. 5-7 from the field, 2-4 from 3. 12pts.

The freshman played a lot of mins in that 2nd half which can contribute to the 2nd half result but the experience for them will be great. Thats what ive taken from this game..season is still early but I would agree with the around 23 wins.. I dont think they will lose to OSU.

Edited by TyHillPanthers, 10 November 2009 - 11:12 AM.

#6 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

Singler is the only talent with experience? What about Scheyer, he has some talent right? Don't be surprised to see Duke back off taking some many 3's and try to do some damage inside. This is K's biggest team since early 90's so expect him to take advantage of that. Also expect more zone with the big line up because they won't be able to handle the speed on the perimeter.

#7 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

Nolan is going to surprise a lot of people.

I was going to say that, but I heard that line last year

#8 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,635 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

This year we really mean it.

#9 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

UNC didn't look that great last night. Way too many turnovers. If they don't fix that, then yeah, I could see an 8 loss season. I expect the turnovers to come down once the team gels, but who knows how long that's going to take. Graves needs to get his ass in gear, he's supposed to be our best 3 point shooter and he looks like crap from 3 point land. Ginyard was surprisingly effective shooting 3's though. Looks like he changed up his shot a little bit too. Hopefully he will continue hitting them.

It's going to be up and down for the Heels for a while but I still think they can put it together and be strong in February and March. We'll see.

#10 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

I agree with most everything but the MSU , UK and Texas games can only help regardless of the outcome..Those 3 will be good test and good prep before the ACC play begins.

Henson is def thin but as you saw he was always out there with either Davis or Thompson (sometimes both) so I think he wont be taking on too many centers although I expect him to continue to build but I think he will be key for us defensively. Offensively hes more of a face to basket type of player..he wont post much I dont think (unless Roy molds him into that).

As for the fast breaks they really need to slow the ball down..I was pissed seeing Thompson try and run the court with the ball. Strickland usually was out of control but Larry Drew, that kid will be a great PG toward the end he was getting good dribble penetration, looking for the open man, and would take the shot if he was open. I dont think the 3 point play will be as bad as we think but the perimeter defense will also be key, cause honestly not many will get points in the paint with ease against UNC. I can also see Drew and Henson/Davis hooking up on a lot of fast break dunks.

You also can definitely tell Ginyard has worked on that shot..his stroke was perfect. 5-7 from the field, 2-4 from 3. 12pts.

The freshman played a lot of mins in that 2nd half which can contribute to the 2nd half result but the experience for them will be great. Thats what ive taken from this game..season is still early but I would agree with the around 23 wins.. I dont think they will lose to OSU.

You realize that if UNC doesn't run then they don't score, right? Slowing the ball down is not part of Roy's plan I can assure you of that. Just like Ks philosophy is always going to be perimeter oriented (largely based on making 3-pointers) Roy's is always going to be based on running. Live and die by it...

#11 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

You realize that if UNC doesn't run then they don't score, right? Slowing the ball down is not part of Roy's plan I can assure you of that. Just like Ks philosophy is always going to be perimeter oriented (largely based on making 3-pointers) Roy's is always going to be based on running. Live and die by it...

yeah and I really do not like that when they do not have much experience, I think they need to slow it down especially since they are huge this year and play more physical.....well at least until they develop more.....then run their ass out of the court

#12 TyHillPanthers

TyHillPanthers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

I know thats how UNC runs but probably 90% of those turnovers were from pushing it up too damn hard out of control. Thats why they need to slow it down a bit im not talking about lets jump into a half court set.. im talking about pacing it a bit at least until we control the turnovers then they can run full speed.

#13 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

NC gets a ton of easy baskets by pushing tempo and they always have and will. Every year I hear how they can't play halfcourt, then there are two or three games where teams slow them down and they win 76-65. When you have bigs, you can grind it out in a halfcourt set. Is it something the Heels want to do a lot? NO! But they can do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com