Photo
- - - - -

Hey let's start the new years resolution to get in shape early!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

you're probably sitting there regretting eating more than the entire daily caloric intake of eritrea and have decided that it's really time to start working out and getting in to shape. You've already circle january first as the day you hunker down and get to it.

However, it's far better to do it now instead of waiting for a couple of reasons. The first is that gyms are at their cheapest right now, and as soon as january rolls around they'll jack all their prices up. The second is that you're going to have to train your body to lift weights and exercise. You can't just jump in to it or you'll get hurt/not know what you're doing/waste your time doing curls in the squat rack.

How to buy a gym membership

The first thing you'll probably think about is something like Gold's Gym or LA Fitness. Avoid these places like the plague. Your sign up fee will be something like 200 dollars, then you'll have to pay about 60ish dollars a month, and to cancel you'll have to pay two months up front.

For this you'll get things you'll never use, like 80 elliptical machines, 17 cable curl racks, and a bocce court or something like that. oh and plus they have more gyms than anyone in the world so next time you're on a business trip to sasketchewan you can pop in.

instead of supporting the corporate oligarchy, why not go to a small local gym? All we're going to need here is a squat rack and a flat bench. You don't need much more, and 45 pounds is 45 pounds wherever you are. they're a poo ton cheaper as well, and will let you cancel at any time.

Cool, I got my gym membership, now what do I need?

To go, basically. Don't blow a lot of money buying expensive under armor gear or anything like that. Just about all you need is a pair of gloves, and those cost about 10 dollars. Also a notebook to keep track of what you're doing.

Also, there's really no point in working out if you're not going to eat better. Losing weight involves eating fewer calories (good calories not twinkies) than you expend. Gaining muscle means eating more calories than you burn and eating a poo ton of protein. For our purposes, just don't drink soda, eat fast food, or eat white bread. When shopping at the grocery store, only eat things that are along the edge of the store (stuff that goes bad.)

Cool, no more mcdonalds, now what

If you really want to hit it hard in january and get the body you used to have (you never actually had it you just think you did) then you're going to need to prepare your body to start lifting weights. You can't just jump in to a serious workout routine, especially since all the supporting muscles you'll need are atrophied by now.

the good news is it's very easy to get back into shape, you don't need to put much time in to it, and we can pull it off in about a month. We're going to do three exercises in a 5x5 formation. This means you'll do five repetitions (reps) 5 times, increasing weight every time.

FLAT BACK DEADLIFT

this is the bread and butter. You don't need to stand on any lifts to do this, just do it nice and slow, keep your back straight, and stay controlled at all times.

This is a very simple and easy motion, and works your butt, lower back, calves, quads, shoulder cradle, and lats. It kinda owns.

Flat Bench

The glamor lift. Just because it's the most overrated lift in the world doesn't mean it isn't actually good. The most important thing about the bench press is correct form, and that video is pretty spot on. This is the one where you'll need a spot, but people are always willing to give them. much like with the flat back dead lift, the key is controlling it all the way through. You get just as much from lowering it as you do from lifting it.

The bench works your chest and triceps, and a little bit of your trapezius if you do it right. Also, you'll need your core to keep everything straight and lined up. Plus you can scream and feel awesome.

Squat

Squat is probably the 2nd most important lift and the easiest one to do wrong. You want your feet shoulder width apart, and it's very important to keep your heels on the ground the entire time. Just like with everything else, good form is more important than how much weight you put on.

Squat works out almost everything. Your whole lower body obviously (best butt exercise), your core for stability, your arms for stability, will strengthen joints, and release a ton of endorphins.

How much weight in all these things should I do?

The way the 5x5 is set up is kind of cool. Basically, with your first set of reps, you want to do something easy you won't struggle with. By the last set, you should be struggling to finish it.

Do one specific exercise at once. Don't mix and match. The order you do them in doesn't matter, just that you only do one at a time.

As far as weight progression goes, remember that the bar weighs 45 pounds. It's really up to you how much you go up and what your max is, though you should be able to squat 1.5 times your body weight. It's not that much, I promise.

With the bench and dead lift, a lot of that is genetics. For example, I lift weights about 4 times a week, but I have a pitifully small max for my bench. I have very wide shoulders and very long arms so it makes it harder for me than some, but it still doesn't fully explain it. Just lucky of the draw.

How many times a week do I have to do this?

Just three, and it takes about 30 minutes to do it all. Just increase your first and final rep every single day you do it, and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel and how quickly you'll increase your weight.

But I'm a girl!

You can do the exact same thing. You're not going to get bulky. Those popped out girls you see have stunning genetics, eat perfect diets, and are popping supplements/steroids non stop.

besides, ain't nothing wrong with looking like gina carano

Posted Image

What about crunches to get that flat stomach?

never do crunches, they're worthless. All they'll do is push out the fat around your muscles. Abs are made in the kitchen and on the track.

#2 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

round is a shape

I'm done!

#3 SMACKDAB

SMACKDAB

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

I'm already in shape too.

#4 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,951 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

or we could just stay drunk til New Years and not care about anything else.

#5 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

Fiz I am quite impressed. Tons of good info and not really even a hint of smarmy goodness.

Bravo to you, sir!

#6 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,976 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Nice work. I just walked a few miles awhile ago since no hoops this weekend.
We were members of the Y and my wife was getting the emp discount since she works there PT during the summer when she was teaching but they don't really give the discount anymore. So I'm currently gym shopping.

#7 The Faceless

The Faceless

Seeker of Power

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

Good info here, been lifting off and on for 10 years now. The 3 exercises Fiz mentioned are the bread and butter of bodybuilding. On the Squats and Deadlift especially, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to maintain good form, or you will end up with a hernia or crush/impact a disc in the spinal cord.

Also, it's a good idea if you are trying to build muscle to get some simple carbs(bottle of plain gatorade) and a whey protein shake in you ASAP. Your body has a window of about 30 mins after a workout where it is in an anabolic state, meaning it will use whatever is in your body to repair itself and the muscles. If you're trying to lose weight, it's still a good idea to at least get the protein. go to bodybuilding.com for more info, most of it is on the forums.

#8 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

people that are just working out don't need to worry about protein shakes

doing stuff like that leads to people going nuts and buying 8 cases of myoplex

#9 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

eat less, move more

You're welcome

#10 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

Good advice Fiz.

#11 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

Not as snide as I would have liked, but good nonetheless. My issues has been and always will be football season and beer. Once the season's over, I become an Adonis within 5 weeks.

And seeing as I root for the Huskers and the Panthers, booze is an absolute necessity.

#12 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,475 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

Month 11 of last year's new years resolution is almost complete... Been steady at 17 pounds of muscle gained for a few months now.

<< Can bench press all of you

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,962 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

OK... where'd the real Fiz go?

This is good info for people... my membership at Gold's doesn't cost as much as he mentions, but otherwise, spot on.

#14 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,976 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:36 PM

fiz typically comes above board when it comes to diet/exercise. No shock to me.

#15 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,475 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:20 AM

Plus you can scream and feel awesome.

Never pegged you as a screamer

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com