Photo
- - - - -

The Beatles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#31 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,217 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

How about Nickleback?

#32 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

Know who was one of the lead developers on that game?

#33 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:06 PM

the beatles clearly are the only band that can make this claim :rolleyes:

You're refuting a statement I didn't make. I never said they were the only band that could make that claim. I said they aren't overrated. It's not a coincidence that 40 years after they broke up their music is still relevant.

#34 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

How about Nickleback?

only the fact that it is almost Christmas saves you from being banned right now

#35 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,779 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

Know who was one of the lead developers on that game?

Someone who will get me a free copy for the great publicity i just gave it?

#36 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

The Beatles were great, but I agree with whoever said they were a pop band. Shouldn't take anything away from their songwriting skills though. I grew up listening to The Beatles almost everyday...my dad was a Beatles freak. So I know every song they've ever made by heart. But if I had to choose between listening to The Beatles or Led Zepplin...I'm going with Led Zepplin everytime. And guess what? I couldn't care less if they ripped off all their poo. Another great influential band that probably won't get the true props they deserve are Black Sabbath.

Speaking of Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles...why the fug are all the GREAT rock bands English??? Other than Gun N' Roses and maybe Metallica...I don't think there are any bands from the US that are on the same level as the aforementioned bands. And I didn't even mention Queen, who I think are another GREAT band.

#37 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Page re-made a traditional English folk song and should apologize for it? Really? Ever heard of Whiskey in the Jar (a traditional Irish folk song)? Arguably Thin Lizzy's most well-known song. Did they have to apologize for it? Nope...and I don't think Bert Jansch apologized for his “Blackwaterside” cover of the same English folk song Page recorded as Black Mountain Side.

When the topic is LZ, it's called plagiarism....change the artist to Kid Rock or any number of rappers and it's just "sampling"...which is somehow considered a different "art form".

Yes, they generally call it "plagiarism" when you try to pass the work off as your own and don't pay the original artist (or credit them, of course).

Just like they so unfairly call it "theft" when you don't pay for the item and try to pass it off as your own.

Pathetic.

#38 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

Speaking of Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles...why the fug are all the GREAT rock bands English??? There aren't any bands from the US that are on the same level as the aforementioned bands. And I didn't even mention Queen, who I think are another GREAT band.

fixed

Metallica and Guns N' Roses (as much as I like Gun N' Roses) shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those English bands.

#39 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

Someone who will get me a free copy for the great publicity i just gave it?

http://en.wikipedia..../Dhani_Harrison

#40 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

http://en.wikipedia..../Dhani_Harrison

Harrison told the Chicago Tribune in an interview that he is "working on 'Rock Band 3' and making the controllers more real so people can actually learn how to play music while playing the game".

That's a great idea! I like the Beatle brat already. I can't believe it took the scion of a George Harrison to make that innovative leap (or maybe it makes sense, I don't care). But if they do that, I might actually play this one.

#41 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

What other band that has been around since the early 60s or before can make this claim as well?

I'd say the Rolling Stones, the Who, LZ, etc....they all easily fit the criteria of bands that are "widely loved for going on four generations".

Hell, the Who and the Stones have been making music since then, and the Beatles broke up in 1970, but they didn't just come out with Rock Band: The Who and a remastered Who box set to incredible sales.

So video games are now that standard of what makes a band great?

#42 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

Yes, they generally call it "plagiarism" when you try to pass the work off as your own and don't pay the original artist (or credit them, of course).

Outside of Willie Dixon who sued to be paid royalties and have the writing credit corrected, I don't think any of those examples in the link you posted have a leg to stand on. Considering that no one else has felt they've been ripped off, I'd guess that's true. Ten examples out of 10 albums...yes they certainly never wrote anything of their own and are just a cover band. :rolleyes:

#43 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

Maybe its where I am from,but I never even listened to the beattles or elvis for that matter.So IMO I think they are overrated.

#44 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

You're refuting a statement I didn't make. I never said they were the only band that could make that claim.

That's just the way it comes off when you list it as an accomplishment that sets them apart from everyone else. Quite a few bands have been around for ages and are just as influential. I read of very few guitarists who cite George Harrison as being a great influence on their playing but just about universally the likes of Keith Richards, Townshend, Clapton & yes, even Page are mentioned.

I don't discredit the Beatles influence on today's bands or their songwriting...all I said is they're the best pop band of all-time and for that I got dragged into a Beatles vs Zeppelin argument.

#45 TheSaint

TheSaint

Lengthy Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

Clapton...now that IS overated. So fuging boring.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com