Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Smith Punt Return

43 posts in this topic

Posted

From John Fox.

Q. Why did Steve Smith return a punt yesterday?

"He's a guy who's been pretty adequate at that position before. As we get into this next (post) season, he may or may not be something we look at. We don't want the playoffs to be the first time he did it. He's practiced there, but we want to see him in a game situation."

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/12/foxs-monday-new.html

Well, I like this better than going for the kill that some people said was the reason. But when he went down hard, I nearly had a heart attack.

Posted

It's not an injury concern, it's stamina. Smith would be way too tired for his 4th quarter heroics were used to seeing.

Posted

Yeah, making Jones inactive and using Smith on punt and kick off returns and activating Jarrett and Hackett would be great.

Hell yeah...Steve Smith is not a pussy. He can handle a punt return. Whenever he takes a huge shot on a bad play, he always bounces right back up. No worries.

Posted

Yeah, making Jones inactive and using Smith on punt and kick off returns and activating Jarrett and Hackett would be great.

why would that be a great idea? Jones will pretty much have a greater impact on our game than both of those receivers put together. No offense to either of them, but Jones has been giving us great field position all season. I don't see why we would want to take that away just so we could see 4 wr sets, only to end up passing it to Moose and Smitty as usual.

Posted

Why can't Jones KR and PR?95% of you thought it was a good idea to have Smitty do returns and I'm sure he is capable,but is that worth losing our # 1 weapon,the opponents ST players go running down the field like kamakazies ready to break bones!Yeah,Smitty is tough but poo happens,especially on returns.I cringe everytime I see Smitty doing a return,if he wants more action,throw him the ball more,but Jake also needs to spread the wealth too!Besides,didn't Smitty get well over a 100 yards yesterday?:nonod:

Posted

Why can't Jones KR and PR?95% of you thought it was a good idea to have Smitty do returns and I'm sure he is capable,but is that worth losing our # 1 weapon,the opponents ST players go running down the field like kamakazies ready to break bones!Yeah,Smitty is tough but sh*t happens,especially on returns.I cringe everytime I see Smitty doing a return,if he wants more action,throw him the ball more,but Jake also needs to spread the wealth too!Besides,didn't Smitty get well over a 100 yards yesterday?:nonod:

He never got hurt returning punts his first 3 years but he broke his leg in 2004 at WR he has as much of a chance of getting hurt playing WR as he does returning punts.

You guys are being dumbasses, in the playoffs you don't play afraid to get injured.

Posted

Fox is settin' up his post season options it seems. This gets me excited considering if worse comes to worse, Fox is at least preparing for it. Shouldn't have to resort to this though, if our D could actually play Fence.

Posted

He never got hurt returning punts his first 3 years but he broke his leg in 2004 at WR he has as much of a chance of getting hurt playing WR as he does returning punts.

You guys are being dumbasses, in the playoffs you don't play afraid to get injured.

He still has a better chance of getting hurt doing returns,how many other teams have their #1 receiver doing returns?Besides,why can't Jones do the returns,he's doing a good job!?:confused:

Posted

I don't recall them "warming" up Smitty on KR/PR's in the regular season when we used him vs Seattle in the playoffs in '05. I think it was a choice Smith called. He wanted a way to help and that was a sure shot of him getting the ball.

But, I would like to see Stewart back there some like we used him at the start of the season. He doesn't get as many touches as D-Will now that he's clearly the go-to guy. He's a dangerous weapon that I think could benefit us as a returner now that he's not getting as many touches.

Posted

I figure that as long as it isn't an every punt situation, then it's a good thing to give Smitty a few more touches and an opportunity in the open field. He is smart enough not to expose himself to a hit unless it is while leaping for a long thrown ball down the field and he gives up his body to make a catch. Otherwise, not so much.

Posted

Yeah, he scored a TD in the NFC championship vs Seattle when they decided to put him in on one.

Any Panther fan who doesn't want Steve Smith to return kicks in the playoffs is an idiot.

Posted

If we make the Superbowl, look for Smitty to have punt returns in that game. Nothing to lose