Photo
- - - - -

Steve Smith Punt Return

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#31 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Fox is settin' up his post season options it seems. This gets me excited considering if worse comes to worse, Fox is at least preparing for it. Shouldn't have to resort to this though, if our D could actually play Fence.

#32 2plankingpanther

2plankingpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

He never got hurt returning punts his first 3 years but he broke his leg in 2004 at WR he has as much of a chance of getting hurt playing WR as he does returning punts.
You guys are being dumbasses, in the playoffs you don't play afraid to get injured.

He still has a better chance of getting hurt doing returns,how many other teams have their #1 receiver doing returns?Besides,why can't Jones do the returns,he's doing a good job!?:confused:

Edited by 2plankingpanther, 29 December 2008 - 10:40 PM.

#33 Fright

Fright

The best never rest.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

I don't recall them "warming" up Smitty on KR/PR's in the regular season when we used him vs Seattle in the playoffs in '05. I think it was a choice Smith called. He wanted a way to help and that was a sure shot of him getting the ball.

But, I would like to see Stewart back there some like we used him at the start of the season. He doesn't get as many touches as D-Will now that he's clearly the go-to guy. He's a dangerous weapon that I think could benefit us as a returner now that he's not getting as many touches.

#34 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,719 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

I figure that as long as it isn't an every punt situation, then it's a good thing to give Smitty a few more touches and an opportunity in the open field. He is smart enough not to expose himself to a hit unless it is while leaping for a long thrown ball down the field and he gives up his body to make a catch. Otherwise, not so much.

#35 runrunpass

runrunpass

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:15 PM

Yeah, he scored a TD in the NFC championship vs Seattle when they decided to put him in on one.
Any Panther fan who doesn't want Steve Smith to return kicks in the playoffs is an idiot.

#36 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:50 AM

If we make the Superbowl, look for Smitty to have punt returns in that game. Nothing to lose

#37 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

didn't like the call... jones is fine back there.

We were already in the playoffs and if i remember correctly we had a solid lead at that point... not like we were down and needed a big play.

wasn't worth risking our franchise player IMO

#38 Badbak

Badbak

Official Huddle Recluse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

Showing Smith at PR gives the other teams something else to prepare for going into the playoffs.

#39 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

sticky this thread....if he gets wasted fielding a kick, I want to see the people on the pro side's reaction. I can't believe some think that since we went 2-0 without him (vs a piss-poor Chargers team and a nearly as bad Bears team), it wouldn't be such a big deal losing him on a kick return vs what we could have gotten from him catching the ball.

#40 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, he scored a TD in the NFC championship vs Seattle when they decided to put him in on one.

If I remember right, our offense was pretty much gutted for that game....we're not gutted right now, in fact we have a very good offense and maybe better at RB than we've ever been in the team's entire existence. No need to risk our passing game when we have a very capable returner on the roster.

#41 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

This argument has been made before on many occasions. At first, I was sorely against SS for returning kicks due to health risks. Now, I'm just as adamant that he have the touches at every opportunity. Time changes everything... :rolleyes:

#42 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Why do people always freak out about this stuff? Steve Smith has never gotten hurt doing returns, and that used to be all he did. IMO, it's pretty smart to get him kind of used to it again, because there might come a time when we're behind in the play offs, and need a spark... and nobody can provide a spark like Smitty can.

It's called planning ahead.

#43 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

They are just warming him up for the Superbowl MVP slot ;)

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com