Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

385 posts in this topic

Posted

Read in the Raleigh paper about a new book out, Things We Didn't See Coming by Steven Amsterdam. The review is good, gonna check it out at the library. Also gonna check out The Road mentioned in the review, same author that wrote No Country For Old Men.

http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/books/story/335376.html

Posted

I also can attest to the Wheel of Time series. Robert Jordan (RIP) was an amazingly gifted writer. I just started book 8 and I cant put it down. Also, I recommend The Chronicles of The Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin who happens to be a NC native.

Posted

Read in the Raleigh paper about a new book out, Things We Didn't See Coming by Steven Amsterdam. The review is good, gonna check it out at the library. Also gonna check out The Road mentioned in the review, same author that wrote No Country For Old Men.

The Road will make you want to put your head in an oven. Just be forewarned.

1 person likes this

Posted

David Eddings.

Wheel of Time is horrible. At least to me. I read it up until partway through book seven and realized that the characters were to retarded to continue.

It would have been a great series if it had ended at book three.

Posted

Be patient with "The Road"

It's not an easy read

Posted

David Eddings.

Wheel of Time is horrible. At least to me. I read it up until partway through book seven and realized that the characters were to retarded to continue.

haha thats what i thought of the gun slinger series....

Posted

The Road will make you want to put your head in an oven. Just be forewarned.

Loved the road.

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree with this. The story simply isn't good enough imo to deserve 14 (or whatever) 1000 page books.

Posted

My post got lost in the server thingamaboo.

Ben Bova, Frank Herbert, Philip K Dick, Greg Bear, and William Gibson. They can range from easy reading to more in depth novels.

Posted

My post got lost in the server thingamaboo.

Ben Bova, Frank Herbert, Philip K Dick, Greg Bear, and William Gibson. They can range from easy reading to more in depth novels.

love me some PK Dick.

/whut?

Posted

I agree with this. The story simply isn't good enough imo to deserve 14 (or whatever) 1000 page books.

I disagree with both of you completely. But you might find it interesting that The WOT series was originally intended to be six books, but when Jordan got to the 5th book he realized there was no way he could give the story a proper ending in six books.

Posted

I disagree with both of you completely. But you might find it interesting that The WOT series was originally intended to be six books, but when Jordan got to the 5th book he realized there was no way he could give the story a proper ending in six books.

i don't think they are particularly poorly written (nor particularly well written) or anything, i just stopped caring.