• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Kurb

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

I just finished reading A Game of Thrones. It was a great change of pace after Jordan and Goodkind for sure.

You're what's wrong with America.

It was four years ago but Bova is still putting out great books

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Not going back through the thread but has anyone read any of The Beyonders series? By Brandon Mull.

I just picked it up the first book and just started it. Just wanted some opinions.

NOW READ THEM ALL!!!!!111ONE!!11

If you haven't read the Kingkiller Chronicles (by Patrick Rothfuss - titled The Name of the Wind, The Wise Man's Fear) you ought to check them out too.

Almost finished with ADWD, then I can stop hiding from the internet/spoilers and hang out with the cool kids again.

I've been wondering what to dig into next, I'll check those out.

• Pie 1

I'm currently reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch... Only about 60 pages in but I'm digging it so far... GRRM has a blurb on the cover praising it, and I've heard good reviews of it...

Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archives series is pretty legit. Started reading him after he finished the wheel of time. He did a better job than Jordan did after he figured the characters out imo. Only two books out so far but they are worth the read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I'm currently reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch... Only about 60 pages in but I'm digging it so far... GRRM has a blurb on the cover praising it, and I've heard good reviews of it...

Just finished this book.

Highly recommended! Can't wait to start the next book by Lynch.

Finished up the Beyonders series about a month ago.  I just happen to pick it up on a whim at Costco, and I had never heard of them before, but I like fantasy fiction so decided WTF.

It was meh.  It was a young adult book (which I didn't realize), so was an easy read .  The overall story was pretty decent, or maybe even good, plus Brandon Mull has an amazing imagination.  But, the dialogue was extremely sophomoric and cheesy as was the overall writing.  But then again, that is what you get with YA novels.  The lines of good and evil are clearly drawn in the story, and therefore there was only one character that was truly intriguing because he was the only grey character in the books, and you were never sure where his loyalties were.  Wouldn't really recommend it for anyone on here who seem to like more mature books, but there are certainly worse book series out there.  I didn't love them, but then again I read all 3 books so....

Today I got the FIrst Law trilogy written by Joe Abercrombie.  Going to start "The Blade Itself" today.  I think a couple people have said that they have read this trilogy, I was wondering what people thought of it.  Online reviews seem mostly positive.  I will give my opinion (not that it matters, but whatevs) once I complete the trilogy!!

Edited by teeray

Looking for a dark fantasy series. Think Game of Thrones meets Dark Souls. Anyone help me out?

Also possibly novels like Metal Gear Solid not including Jack Ryan.

Just finished this book.

Highly recommended! Can't wait to start the next book by Lynch.

damnit bronn help me pick out a dark epic adventure for adults.

damnit bronn help me pick out a dark epic adventure for adults.

I'm not too well versed still, besides some of the more popular choices I have found online. I'm not sure what all you've read either...

Maybe Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erickson? It's the first book in the Malazan series, and the only one I've read so far...

It has a lot of people to keep up with, kinda like the ASOIAF stuff, and has some good dark elements. It has a little more magic than ASOIAF so I dunno if that is a turnoff for you... It took me a while to get into it but I think I blew through from the middle to the end.

I can't recommend Patrick Rothfuss' books enough... There are some darker things in there too, and I like his take on magic (he likens it more to something like physics alteration)... Kvothe (the main character) is a younger guy for most of the story, but he goes through some very adult situations (some bow chicka wow wow even)...

The Lies of Locke Lamora was good as poo too... and I would compare that one and Rothfuss' to GRRM as far as storytelling goes...

Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archives series is pretty legit. Started reading him after he finished the wheel of time. He did a better job than Jordan did after he figured the characters out imo. Only two books out so far but they are worth the read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

i had the first book on my nightstand for months... just couldn't get in to it.  the beginning just doddled along forever and couldn't hold my attention

i really like sanderson, so i'm sure i'll give it a go again when i'm really in the mood to read something, but it was hard to get into

I'm not too well versed still, besides some of the more popular choices I have found online. I'm not sure what all you've read either...

Maybe Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erickson? It's the first book in the Malazan series, and the only one I've read so far...

It has a lot of people to keep up with, kinda like the ASOIAF stuff, and has some good dark elements. It has a little more magic than ASOIAF so I dunno if that is a turnoff for you... It took me a while to get into it but I think I blew through from the middle to the end.

I can't recommend Patrick Rothfuss' books enough... There are some darker things in there too, and I like his take on magic (he likens it more to something like physics alteration)... Kvothe (the main character) is a younger guy for most of the story, but he goes through some very adult situations (some bow chicka wow wow even)...

The Lies of Locke Lamora was good as poo too... and I would compare that one and Rothfuss' to GRRM as far as storytelling goes...

Went in today to get Name of the Wind but they didn't have it so I picked up "Hood" http://www.amazon.com/Hood-Raven-King-Book-1/dp/1595540881

• Pie 1