Photo
- - - - -

Lions to show interest in DeAngelo Williams?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#31 Baschski

Baschski

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

A second round pick for a top-five RB? I'd kill myself if we agreed to that garbage.

#32 PantherDude

PantherDude

Best of luck, Coach Fox!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Hell no!! I don't care what rounds we can get. I just feel better keeping Double Trouble. Why get rid of one half of the best RB in the NFL? I rather give them Sutton & Goodson if it make them stay away from DeWill or Stew. We can keep both.

#33 GoreMetalJunkie

GoreMetalJunkie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

Not gonna happen in a eleventy billion years.

well then...we're just going to have to wait and see then.

#34 GoreMetalJunkie

GoreMetalJunkie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

straight up for Calvin Johnson?..hell yeah.

#35 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,422 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

WTF? There is no way we trade Dwill. Def not for a 2nd round pick.

#36 Phinisher

Phinisher

The Huddles Reckoning

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationRain Tree

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

f**k no. anything less than a 1st round pick and your guys owner is f**king retarded.

#37 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

We've got arguably the single best one-two punch at RB in the league, and a very effective weapon in that. And yet a significant portion of the fanbase (if you consider this board representative) really seems to want to cut the power of that weapon in half.

And please don't give me that we have enough depth to keep it going even with the loss of one of the top guys. There is no way anyone can reasonably suggest that any of the other combos (Williams-Goodson, Williams-Sutton, Stewart-Goodson, Stewart-Sutton) is anywhere even close to the quality of Williams-Stewart as a rushing tandem.

There are other teams that have put all their eggs in a single basket with "workhorse" backs, and it's been rough. These days, even when healthy, neither Adrian Peterson nor LaDainian Tomlinson is what they once were, and the decline has been quick (almost sudden). One of the prime reasons for that is their being used as the "workhorse" for their team rather than as part of a 'two-headed monster' like the Panthers and some other teams prefer.

Knowing that it tends to shorten the shelf-life of good runners, I can't understand why on earth people want us to switch to that model.

As far as using a high pick on a RB, no matter how high you go you're still trading a proven commodity for an unproven one.

Exactly. Williams says he is happy here and likes sharing the duty with Stewart. In our run happy offense we need two starting quality runners. Plus we drafted him as the 27th pick in the first round in 2006. Why in the world would we develop into a pro-bowler and then trade him for a 34th pick? His value has risen not fallen. Now if they want to give us their 1st round pick in this draft then maybe we consider although I wouldn't consider it unless they gave their first and second pick. Afterall with their track record, getting a probowler, should be worth at least a first rounder given how many they have wasted over the years.

Edited by panthers55, 16 February 2010 - 09:49 PM.

#38 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

He wont be here after this upcoming season anyway.

#39 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

The Lions can suck it.

#40 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

He wont be here after this upcoming season anyway.

Unless we decide we don't want him I doubt that is true. We have typically paid players well over the years and he seems to be an integral part of the offense. The only way I see him gone is if Fox is gone and we go from a running offense to a more passing one. And even in that case he was our third leading receiver behind Smith and Moose.

#41 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

I could murder someone for that trade......my stuffed bunny will get his head chopped off.

#42 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

Unless we decide we don't want him I doubt that is true. We have typically paid players well over the years and he seems to be an integral part of the offense. The only way I see him gone is if Fox is gone and we go from a running offense to a more passing one. And even in that case he was our third leading receiver behind Smith and Moose.

The problem is Williams will be 28 then. And if he isn't already playing second fiddle to Stewart at this point, he will be by then. So financially it would be dumb as hell to throw a bunch of money at a player simply because the fanbase is attached to him when he's only getting roughly 40% or the carries. We'd be better off rolling with Stewart and Goodson. And anyone who thinks Williams is going to sign a relatively cheap contract because he just gosh golly goodness loves the Panthers so much is being naive. He deserves to get paid, and he will be. If we're smart, it won't be by us.

#43 holmes49er

holmes49er

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

When reading this rumor it was so laughable I can't believe we got 4+ pages of response.

No way we send DeAngelo packing for a second rounder! Like others have said maybe for the second pick in the draft... Even then I would want a trade down and get a few picks and pick up a WR.

#44 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

The problem is Williams will be 28 then. And if he isn't already playing second fiddle to Stewart at this point, he will be by then. So financially it would be dumb as hell to throw a bunch of money at a player simply because the fanbase is attached to him when he's only getting roughly 40% or the carries. We'd be better off rolling with Stewart and Goodson. And anyone who thinks Williams is going to sign a relatively cheap contract because he just gosh golly goodness loves the Panthers so much is being naive. He deserves to get paid, and he will be. If we're smart, it won't be by us.

For Calvin Johnson we would be stupid not to take that deal. What other options do we have? Look at our FO track record. They have tried signing a middle to top tier FA WR in K. Johnson.

They tried signing a mid level WR in FA in DJ Hackett and they have tried mulitple times to pick one high in the draft. And yet look at the results. The one thing they have not tried is to go out and get a big name trade. A guy that has looked good in even on one of the worst teams in the league.

The one thing they have suceeded on is running back and OL talent since Davidsons arrival. So I would be much more content going into next season with a CJ - SS combo and a Stewart - Goodson - Sutton - Draft Pick combo then the way it stands now.

#45 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

Damn you to HELL Meat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.