Photo
- - - - -

Ballantyne wants to keep out mixed-income housing. Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#286 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

What difference does it make? The point is that there are expensive houses very close to shitty houses and those shitty houses don't crush the value of the better ones - if there's intrinsic value in the land.

#287 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

We are not even talking about home ownership. We are taling about families of 4 making less than $20k per year....living in subsidized APARTMENTS.

Very few apartments out here, its kind of rural. Not much around.

#288 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

I think those that are for the housing are not looking big picture and are simply thinking to be fair Bal has to take this on.
Take a step back and look at this as a CFO for the county.
Can the county afford this? No
Could it create some jobs short term? Yes
Is the cost benefit greater than the non build? No, but debatable.
Will infrastructure have to be updated? Yes
Is the current schools at all levels at or near capacity? Not sure. Probably so.
Does this address the current foreclosure issue within the county? not at all
Are we certain those renting can actually afford their rent based on current debt to income? Not sure
Why are we really doing this? Guys from Republic know guys from CHA.
Do we know if anyone on the board lives near this area and is there a conflict of interest with this potential build? Know of one, Mr.Cannon. Not sure on the others.
Do we know if anyone on the board owns land/property in the area and stands to gain financially? How dare you ask but not sure.

#289 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,203 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

if there's intrinsic value in the land.

ay, there's the rub

#290 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

What difference does it make? The point is that there are expensive houses very close to pooty houses and those pooty houses don't crush the value of the better ones - if there's intrinsic value in the land.

My only point is that the people proposed to live in this community couldn't even afford to purchase the foreclosed home that you mention is in such close proximity to the higher value home u mention. BTW, a foreclosure short sell price is HARDLY a credible example of a loe income housing working near to a high value area. It's a foreclosure for a reason!

#291 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. You kind of made the point that affordability isn't the issue, it's actually getting a bank to give them a loan for that small amount. Even still, the houses I mentioned are in a BAD neighborhood, yet somehow people making even less are going to be worse? I'm just not following the logic there.

And some of those nice houses are foreclosures too. A foreclosure doesn't automatically mean someone is poor or a degenerate. With the crashing of the housing market it was the smart thing to do for some people.

#292 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

Let's face it, Ty, some people simply do NOT belong.

#293 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

Apperently Ballantyne has to allow below-market housing as part of it's rezoning agreement which was ratified in 1991.

The essence of the deal was that Ballantyne would receive tax-funded roads (keep in mind, nobody lived there at the time so it wasn't Ballantyne tax money) in exchange for allowing below-market housing.

The city is officially divided into districts (and further into little known NSAs), each district -- with the glaring exception of one -- has below-market housing.

Ballantyne isn't exclusive, it's not special, it's not gated. It's as much a part of Charlotte as Eastland, Myers Park, Grier Heights, University City, or Belmont.

Time to pay the Piper.

Edited by Bobby, 25 February 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#294 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,000 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Apperently Ballantyne has to allow below-market housing as part of it's rezoning agreement which was ratified in 1991.

The rezoning has to do with where the parcel is. Just because below market housing was ratified in 1991, you can't build it on land denoted for commercial use without rezoning the land.

#295 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

Time to pay the Piper.

Freudenschade

#296 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,203 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

piper glen?

#297 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,998 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

OMGZ!! THEYZ BREACHED BLAKENEY!!!

Posted Image

#298 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Freudenschade

Edelweiss, edelweiss....

#299 Go To Girl

Go To Girl

Huddle Mom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

I remember when the planning for Ballantyne originally. I actually bought a house in a development off of what was then Providence Rd West (now Ballantyne Commons Parkway). There was only 3 developments anywhere near there - Williamsburg, Colony Woods and Provincetowne (they are all still there) and I lived in one of them. The closest shopping was Carmel Commons. We had a Matthews address because no one had claimed us yet. Later it changed to Charlotte. We were so far out that it was a year before cable came out there. Nobody came out there.

We were told a lot about I-485 and the planned Ballantyne development when we bought - it was a great selling point. Let's see, I think this was in 1985 when we bought. And yes, Ballantyne was planned to be a development that had all price points - or that's what they said. My husband and I always knew that we'd end up with another house one day, and we actually waited for Ballantyne. I mentioned earlier in the thread that we were invited to the groundbreaking and went on tours and parties for this new property. The first homes were nowhere near affordable for us - and we actually had a pretty decent budget, so that's why we ended up elsewhere.

But anyway, yes, this development was touted as being a mixed use development for a low price point, middle price points, and high price points. That's not what happened.

Edited by Go To Girl, 25 February 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#300 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

Once met a girl on a date in Ballantyne. Everything was going great until a ***** walked by. I immediately placed myself between my date and the obvious intruder, and the cops came minutes later, but it was a scary moment for both of us, let me tell you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com