Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pantherfan81

Panthers Add DT Ed Johnson

78 posts in this topic

So does this mean the end to Damione Lewis and Kemo? It may, id consider it. I know they have been our starters for the last few years but I think we have great depth at the position and I just cant help but love the DT prospects in this years draft.

I hope the signing of Ed Johnson doesnt mean that we arent taking a DT in the draft even early. Great talent at the DT position in this years draft.

Lewis has been solid, consistent and done nothing but improve in his time here. He's a guy I want around. Kemo is as good as gone, though, IMO.

I'd release hayden and then try to trade kemo for a mid/late rd draft pick.

And since Kemo and Lewis was given almost exactly the same restructuring that would mean that combined they would make around $8.6 million.

IMO, goodbye to both of them. Kemo is good and I wouldn't mind him sticking around but the combined injury and "one-trick pony" talent means he isn't worth it. And I have long been a hater of the overrated pile of poo that is Damien Lewis, that is as a starter. As a rotation guy he's actually good.

I never even thought of that..I wonder if Lewis contract looks the same?

Lewis has been solid, consistent and done nothing but improve in his time here. He's a guy I want around. Kemo is as good as gone, though, IMO.

I would agree that he has improved in his time here and that for the most part he is solid. But consistant is the last word I would use to discribe him. I actually like Lewis, both character and talent, but he isn't a starter and for the money isn't worth it. Drop his salary by a lot and have him be the main part of a DT rotation and I'm all for it.

Lewis can not be the starter if Peppers isn't back in 2010. He just isn't a strong enough of a talent.

I really feel the same way about both Lewis and Kemo. They're okay and I like them as players but I really don't see either standing out that much more than other players on the roster or available elsewhere ie Ed Johnson. And with some of these other players there could be some greatness there we just haven't gotten the chance to see. Whereas Kemo and Lewis have had plenty of opportunity to show us that.

I never even thought of that..I wonder if Lewis contract looks the same?

Per the source at the time, as I remeber it, they were exactly the same structure with a little difference in pay, i.e. Kemo made about $10,000 more.

Per the source at the time, as I remeber it, they were exactly the same structure with a little difference in pay, i.e. Kemo made about $10,000 more.

ok..

IDK if Lewis is worth 2.6million.

ok..

IDK if Lewis is worth 2.6million.

I think Lewis is gonna get the boot. 2.6 mill is too much for him imo.

Lewis will be here. At 2.6 million he is the best DT we have. Kemo will be gone after this year. By not picking up his 9.3 million option we are voiding his contract after this season. As for Johnson we picked him up for depth. With no cap I expect we will pick a bunch of guys on the defensive line hoping to find a few diamonds in the rough.

Hayden will only ever be released in training camp. The guy costs as much as a packet of crisps (relative to other contracts of course!).

This move suggests the Panthers are loading up on DTs in case rehab does not go well for Kemo. If Lewis were to be released due t this, then he would have already been released. Kemo's agent even said that it's not certain he will be back when he said, "For a guy who’s 31, it’s a bit of a reckoning. He’s always worked hard, but he knows he has to work that much harder if he wants to get back on the field."

So even if he does make it back, there is no knowing how he will cope. What is more likely is that we release him and monitor him. If he gets back into shape then we can bring him back if none of the other DTs pan out.

As it is, he is the most expendable. He is the most expensive, the borderline oldest and coming off the worst injury.

1 person likes this

I think Lewis is gonna get the boot. 2.6 mill is too much for him imo.

Ok, so why would you get rid of our only expereinced DT who isn't coming off career threatening injury?

Kemo and Lewis cost approximately the same (I am not 100% on that $2.6 Lewis figure). Lewis and Kemo produced on par with each other when healthy. Kemo is only just walking after being out since August. Why, oh why, would you release Lewis.

Hayden will only ever be released in training camp. The guy costs as much as a packet of crisps (relative to other contracts of course!).

This move suggests the Panthers are loading up on DTs in case rehab does not go well for Kemo. If Lewis were to be released due t this, then he would have already been released. Kemo's agent even said that it's not certain he will be back when he said, "For a guy who’s 31, it’s a bit of a reckoning. He’s always worked hard, but he knows he has to work that much harder if he wants to get back on the field."

So even if he does make it back, there is no knowing how he will cope. What is more likely is that we release him and monitor him. If he gets back into shape then we can bring him back if none of the other DTs pan out.

As it is, he is the most expendable. He is the most expensive, the borderline oldest and coming off the worst injury.

I read recently he was needing another surgery somewhat like a skin graft because while the tendon has healed, the skin covering it was not healing well. After 6 months and it is still an open wound? Sounds pretty bad.