Photo
- - - - -

A compelling story about the issue of gays in the military

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#41 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

A few decades ago, there was an informal study about gays serving in a particular branch of the military. The biggest issue raised in this study was age.
See the study for yourself...
Study about gays in the Department of the Navy

#42 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

before I clicked on the link, I thought that was exactly what this thread needed.

#43 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Gay straight or Bi, as long as they can perform their duties as required, none of that should matter. FWIW, I think lesbians with guns and "that time of month" = a lot of enemy dead.

I have some experience with this during my stint in the Army. We had one of my fellow SF Operators admit he was gay to the rest of us. You would have never guessed it. He was one tough SOB and very reliable when the bullets started flying. He gave us the option of outing him and we chose not to. We did tease him a bunch about showers and such but we still respected and loved the man. Still do.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

To Cat. In regards to whether hot male models were gay, this guy proves it. Not only did he go on to be a male model after the Army but he was also doing part time work as a male stripper.....I guess they are gay :D

As a BTDT, you are an excellent resource when it comes to this subject.

Personally, I like the idea of people just being up front and honest, and let the job and the service speak for itself. I think Don't Ask Don't Tell is really no different than segregation back in the day. It should go away forever. As should all forms of discrimination.

But I wonder this....
You were a member of an elite unit, a group that pretty much understood that your choice of partner didn't really matter when it came time to embrace the suck. All that mattered was you had each other's backs.

But do you think in other less "enlightened" portions of the military this would be a problem?

#44 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

The issue that people who oppose this have is that they think all homosexuals are just sexual deviants that want to do every guy they see. They are narrow minded.

The only thing stoppign this is that old idea that only "real men" are in the military. This should be overturned and we can move on.