• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Does anyone know how we stand as far as salary cap space for next season?

Or have a link to a good site to find information like this.

They showed a thing about it during one of these playoff games, and i saw we weren't near the top or bottom, so I know were obviously somewhere in the middle.

#2 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

I know that they are saying the cap number will be $123,000,000.00. I am pretty sure that we will be fine.

Especially since Pep is going to take a pay cut from what he is making this year. I don't see us signing him to a contract that pays 15 mil annually, at least I hope thats not what it takes.

#3 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

Why would Pep be taking a pay cut?

#4 Skew

Skew

GOLD PREMIUM MEMBER

• Moderators
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hard to say right now.

Bonus $$ made for making the playoffs for players will count against next year's cap. And won't know the amount of bonus until the Panthers' season is actually over.

#5 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Its not a pay cut, but all contracts are back loaded with more money per yr towards the end because contracts arent binding basically. This is the last year of a deal for him so he is making more then in years past. It wont be a pay cut over the contract just less in the first year of the new contract then the last year of the previous. Hopefully anyways

#6 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

Because he is counting almost 15 million against the cap this year. Any contract that he signs will probably pay in the 10 million a year range at best, I hope, never really know.

So in a sense, it will be a reduction in salary.

#7 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

Hard to say right now.

Bonus $$ made for making the playoffs for players will count against next year's cap. And won't know the amount of bonus until the Panthers' season is actually over.

Ahh, I didn't realize that. The other stuff about Peppers makes sense.

So how about the two first rounders then?
Will us not having a first rounder this year help, since the money from the two first rounders won't hit hard until a few years?
Or not be too much of a factor?

I bet our cap space will suck that year when both Otah and Stewart's contracts are in their last year.(unless we have no cap at that time)

#8 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

It all just depends. The first round pick wouldn't have broke us anyways since it will be the 28th selection at worst.

#9 PanthersATL

PanthersATL

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

Check this thread too...

http://www.carolinah...discussion.html

#10 BlindSite

BlindSite

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

We have nothing to worry about. There'll be a few more millions freed up with cuts that come every offseason, plus we've got to re-sign Pep and that should free up 2-3 million, quite easily even at a record contract.

#11 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

We have nothing to worry about. There'll be a few more millions freed up with cuts that come every offseason, plus we've got to re-sign Pep and that should free up 2-3 million, quite easily even at a record contract.

I'm not worried about being over the cap, I'm worried about us resigning Peppers and Gross. We also need huge help along the defensive line. I think it would be freaking amazing if we could get Fat Albert up in here.

#12 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

First off, Haynesworth ain't going anywhere. Tennessee is probably going to throw more money at him than we will throw at Pep.

Secondly, I don't think we would be in the running for him anyways because we not only have priorities this year but in the coming years we have some young talent that is going to want to get paid. Build through the draft and hope you get lucky with a mid range FA.

Do not worry about re-signing Pep and Gross. We will have plenty of money to do so as long as they want to stay here. Now if they are looking to leave I am sure that somebody could throw more money their way but I am positive that we will make them both very good offers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.