Photo
- - - - -

What a Waste...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#16 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

But yet, when they need money, they always seem to be able to find you.

Interesting.

Again, I don't care one way or another.

This is coming from the guy that refuses to get an IPass toll auto toll pay thingy because I don't want them knowing where I am so easily.

I'm a bit off, but again, I am under no grand illusion that I or anyone else can stay "off the grid".

Maybe they aren't as bright as I gave them credit for being.

Or perhaps just this aspect of the government is clueless, and the really big fish know stuff and don't share.

#17 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

They know probably 99% of the information, but it's Constitutionally mandated...so it gives some government bureaucracy a meaning in life every 10 years.

Oh...did you get the mailing...about an upcoming mailing?

#18 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

Yes.

And it's a head count. Not a survey, There are question they shouldn't be asking.

#19 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

From the :"for what it's worth department":

I use the Census every day in my job. Not usually the decennial census, but all the other surveys they conduct that provide annual estimates of demographic and economic characteristics. The American Community Survey, Current Population Estimates, County Business Patterns, Small Area Income and Poverty Estimates, and on and on. I think some of you think this information just comes out of thin air. "They already know anyways..." No they don't. Why don't you just answer the damn questions. "Oh check all of the above for race, haha, that'd be so funny!" What a joke.

They aren't building a database of information about you personally. I have seen raw Census databases. They don't include personal identifiers. So drop the fear factor, do yourself a favor, and fill out the survey.

Name a business and I'll tell you how the Census can benefit your business operations. Seriously, any line of business.

I'll be offline for a while but will check back later.

I know my tone is pretty crappy so forgive me for that. This is just something that I care about a lot.

#20 Hawk

Hawk

Banned

Moderators

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

I hope they sent those to your house via courier?

#21 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

Administrators

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I use the Census every day in my job. Not usually the decennial census, but all the other surveys they conduct that provide annual estimates of demographic and economic characteristics. The American Community Survey, Current Population Estimates, County Business Patterns, Small Area Income and Poverty Estimates, and on and on. I think some of you think this information just comes out of thin air. "They already know anyways..." No they don't. Why don't you just answer the damn questions. "Oh check all of the above for race, haha, that'd be so funny!" What a joke.

They aren't building a database of information about you personally. I have seen raw Census databases. They don't include personal identifiers. So drop the fear factor, do yourself a favor, and fill out the survey.

Name a business and I'll tell you how the Census can benefit your business operations. Seriously, any line of business.

I know my tone is pretty crappy so forgive me for that. This is just something that I care about a lot.

Agreed. When I used census data as part of planning classes in college, I was shocked at the breadth and depth of the information and how useful it is. The wealth of information not only helps people in business, but it helps the government analyze the economy at all levels. It also helps city planners analyze the flow of people and goods within their community and prioritize development accordingly.

So if you guys want to keep mixed income housing and teh blacks out of your upper crust neighborhood, be sure to fill out your census form accurately. :D

Edited by Jase, 09 March 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#22 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Maybe we're striving for a colorblind/no class-envy society...as far as population migrations...no one is talking about lying about the number of persons. Just the crap that is none of their business. Could care less about your job. Do your own research.

#23 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

So they want household names and phone numbers and everything else besides bank account info. No thanks.

They'll get the output of my random identification generator. Names and phone numbers aren't needed.

#24 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Every single Census worker takes an oath to not share any individual/personal information to anyone other than the U.S. Census Bureau. Any Census worker that shares raw personal data with any individual or other government agenciy faces jail time.

Oh, and any individual who intentinally provides false information on the Census can be fined up to $500. Think twice about it. Refusal to submit information can result in a $100 fine.

Nearly every demographic, socioeconomic, and economic indicator produced by any public or private entity relies heavily on input from the Census. Think about the world we'd live in without that information.

The private sector would not have access to the information necessary to optimize business operations, sales, locations, etc.

The public sector would not have acess to the information to properly allocate funding and representatives.

The non-profit sector would not have access to the information to prioritize their investments in geographies and populations that require their assistance most.

Seriously. Take a step back and think about the world without that information. I'm still waiting for someone to list a line of business that wouldn't rely on such information to optimize their operations. Further, I challenge anyone to find me a government program that proivides value and ROI to taxpayers that exceeds that of the Census.

Just fill out the damn form.

#25 Jbro

Jbro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

Every single Census worker takes an oath to not share any individual/personal information to anyone other than the U.S. Census Bureau. Any Census worker that shares raw personal data with any individual or other government agenciy faces jail time.

Oh, and any individual who intentinally provides false information on the Census can be fined up to $500. Think twice about it. Refusal to submit information can result in a $100 fine.

Cops, Politicians & Criminals take oaths too.

That is a smaller fine then spitting gum out a car window. I did not read anything past those two stupid points.

Edited by Jbro, 09 March 2010 - 09:40 PM.

#26 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

NO...this is a waste. They didn't even mention the $10 office pens and such.

Calif. Agencies Grilled Over Spending

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California lawmakers are questioning the spending habits of state agencies in a time of fiscal crisis. The Assembly Accountability Committee held a hearing Wednesday to ask agency heads what criteria are used when deciding whether to purchase new cars or furniture."We've got to answer to our constituents, and they're screaming at us," said Assemblyman Tom Berryhill, R-Modesto. Lawmakers compiled spreadsheets that show millions of dollars of spending on conferences, vehicles and furniture. For example, the Transportation Department spent more than $13 million buying non-emergency vehicles in the first half of 2009 and Education Department spent nearly $1 million on meetings at a hotel.The price of office furniture was a flash point at Wednesday's hearing."A $7,000 cubicle? Is that normal in office furniture?" San Diego Republican Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher wondered.Rob Oglesby, with Air Resources Board, replied that "this is the state contract."Another project's cubicles were billed at $8,000 a piece."Everybody is struggling right now, and those aren't the priorities of California -- making sure we've got new office cubicles," said Assemblywoman Alyson Huber, D-El Dorado Hills.Assemblywoman Audra Strickland called the expenditures an insult to taxpayers who are working hard to make ends meet.State agency directors argue that they have cut costs since the governor ordered reduced spending last year. Lawmakers weren't convinced." When we're cutting drastic critical services, when we've got 44 kids in a class, when we are decimating public safety -- all these types of things -- I've got to go back to my constituents and explain how it made sense to spend $7,000 per employee so they have a place to sit and work," Fletcher said.For his part, Schwarzenegger said he welcomes any exposure of excessive spending.

#27 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

Cops, Politicians & Criminals take oaths too.

That is a smaller fine then spitting gum out a car window. I did not read anything past those two stupid points.

Completely agree and I see why you stopped reading. I shouldnt have used those points in attempt to instill confidence in the Census. I just find it so absurd that so many people are opposed to filling out the survey. It's frustrating.

With that said, please read the rest of the other post.

#28 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

Completely agree and I see why you stopped reading. I shouldnt have used those points in attempt to instill confidence in the Census. I just find it so absurd that so many people are opposed to filling out the survey. It's frustrating.

With that said, please read the rest of the other post.

It's not absurd. We just don't trust ANYONE with our information anymore. I'm not in the phone book for a reason. I'm not on Fagbook for a reason. I'm not on twitter sh!tter for a reason. I don't sign up for ANYTHING with my real info. for a reason. They can play the numbers game with just that...the numbers. All they need is basic info. NOT personal sh!t. Nothing anyone can do to convince me otherwise.

#29 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

HUDDLER

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

It's not absurd. We just don't trust ANYONE with our information anymore. I'm not in the phone book for a reason. I'm not on Fagbook for a reason. I'm not on twitter sh!tter for a reason. I don't sign up for ANYTHING with my real info. for a reason. They can play the numbers game with just that...the numbers. All they need is basic info. NOT personal sh!t. Nothing anyone can do to convince me otherwise.

I understand the reluctance to to provide name and phone number. As for all the other information (the information that actually matters) just provide that. Leave name and phone number blank. Just don't falsify it.