Photo
- - - - -

What do you believe and why do you believe it?...

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

No need for discussion or breaking down other people's beliefs here... I'm just curious to see what people really believe... This will hopefully cover a broad enough spectrum that it will get a lot of responses from the different areas discussed in the Tinderbox...

1. Do you believe in Jesus Christ dying for the sins of future generations, and that through his death, we are all able to be "saved" from future horrors by accepting him as our saviour?

2. What are your views on the Second Amendment?

3. Do you support a woman's right to choose to have an abortion?

4. Do you believe in programs to advance and help your fellow citizens in a time of need, while at the same time enforcing rules on these programs to ensure that they not be abused?

5. Going back to question one... If you answered "no" to this question, do you believe in an intelligent deity that has what is best for mankind already mapped out (fate) and that we really have no choices in life because our destiny is already determined?

6. Do you believe in extraterrestrial life, be it intelligent, or unintelligent?

7. In your opinion, was the US government involved, by direct action or lack thereof, in things such as 9/11 and the Kennedy assassination?

8. Do you think taxes are a good thing, and do you agree that the money generated from taxes go to benefit the average American citizen?

9. What happens when we die?

10. Should homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals, and should they be allowed to get married?

11. Can you think of any more areas I have not covered here that should be asked?

I'll post my answers in a couple of days...

#2 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

No need for discussion or breaking down other people's beliefs here... I'm just curious to see what people really believe... This will hopefully cover a broad enough spectrum that it will get a lot of responses from the different areas discussed in the Tinderbox...

1. Do you believe in Jesus Christ dying for the sins of future generations, and that through his death, we are all able to be "saved" from future horrors by accepting him as our saviour?

4. Do you believe in programs to advance and help your fellow citizens in a time of need, while at the same time enforcing rules on these programs to ensure that they not be abused?

5. Going back to question one... If you answered "no" to this question, do you believe in an intelligent deity that has what is best for mankind already mapped out (fate) and that we really have no choices in life because our destiny is already determined?

6. Do you believe in extraterrestrial life, be it intelligent, or unintelligent?

7. In your opinion, was the US government involved, by direct action or lack thereof, in things such as 9/11 and the Kennedy assassination?

8. Do you think taxes are a good thing, and do you agree that the money generated from taxes go to benefit the average American citizen?

10. Should homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals, and should they be allowed to get married?

11. Can you think of any more areas I have not covered here that should be asked?

1. No
2. Its not well written
3. No
4. Situationally dependent
5. No
6. Yes
7. In 9-11, no way in hell. In the Kennedy assassination, probably not but I am less certain of that answer.
8. Taxes are a necessary evil. In some ways they benefit us, but not consistently.
9. Thats it.
10. All people should have the same basic human rights. Gays have a right to create their own religions, and if that religion allows marriage, then they can get married. But I am against government recognition of marriage, period.
11. Did baseball make a mistake by creating the designated hitter? No doubt about it.

#3 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,263 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Yes

Fine with it.

Yes. That decision is none of my business, but I shouldn't be forced to fund it by Obama.

No. Private charities FTW.

Yes

No

Taxes should be used to keep the infrastructure of America up and running, so they are needed.

I'm going to Heaven.

Yes. None of my damn business and why deny them benefits of marrriage. If they have the balls (no pun intended) to commit to somebody for life, they should be able to experience the same benefits of us who committed to one women.

Why in the hell did you vote for Barry Obama?

Here.

#4 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,345 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

1. no
2. It's not what people think it is but meh
3. sure
4. yes
5. no
6. unable to answer no evidence
7. no
8. yes
9. zombies eat our brains
10. of course
11. should women be able to go to football games topless

#5 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,112 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

1. Do you believe in Jesus Christ dying for the sins of future generations, and that through his death, we are all able to be "saved" from future horrors by accepting him as our saviour? I don't really have a firm opinion on this. Ask me tomorrow and I might.

2. What are your views on the Second Amendment? The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed, and I support this right to a more extreme extent than most. Personally I don't own any firearms.

3. Do you support a woman's right to choose to have an abortion? Past 7 weeks of pregnancy, no. I think it is wrong. I also acknowledge that it would be impossible to enforce such a ban on abortions without seriously infringing on personal rights, so I oppose oppressive laws restricting abortions.

4. Do you believe in programs to advance and help your fellow citizens in a time of need, while at the same time enforcing rules on these programs to ensure that they not be abused? I believe that charity is a personal endeavor, and any time the government steps into the charity business, corruption will be an inherent problem that will always be there. So, no. Maybe I have too much faith in the individual, but I believe if the government got out of the way, people would band together and help each other more.

5. Going back to question one... If you answered "no" to this question, do you believe in an intelligent deity that has what is best for mankind already mapped out (fate) and that we really have no choices in life because our destiny is already determined? Possibly. I think it is foolish to eliminate this possibility.

6. Do you believe in extraterrestrial life, be it intelligent, or unintelligent? The odds of intelligent life existing in the same timeframe as humans are extremely small. But the odds of there being no unintelligent life in the universe are equally small. In the vast history of the universe, I could potentially see the possibility of extinct intelligent civilization. (Like star wars... that was a documentary, right?) In short, I will be surprised if we ever find anything more than unintelligent life in the universe.

7. In your opinion, was the US government involved, by direct action or lack thereof, in things such as 9/11 and the Kennedy assassination? 9/11 - no. Kennedy, perhaps. Other global events, youbetcha.

8. Do you think taxes are a good thing, and do you agree that the money generated from taxes go to benefit the average American citizen? The closer the taxes are to home, the more they benefit the people. The further taxes get from your community, the more diluted it becomes and the more greedy hands it passes through. My ideal government would be a federation of local governments who collect taxes.

9. What happens when we die? Decomposition begins very quickly without the presence of some kind of preservation, I hear.

10. Should homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals, and should they be allowed to get married? Yes, but churches and ministers should have the right to abstain from performing ceremonies if they wish.

In the triangular power struggle of society between corporate, government, and individual interest, which two, when emphasized together, provide the most prosperity?

What situations should collectivism be valued over individualism and vice versa?

In what situations are controlled markets really controlled in any sense of the word?

#6 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

No. I believe there may have been a man named Jesus who perhaps died on a cross, but I don't think it absolved me or anyone else of their sins simply by "accepting him as our savior."

I'm all for it.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

I believe it is possible they exist.

I don't think so.

I think that taxes are a necessary practice for any country/government to survive

Our body shuts down and slowly decomposes until it is returned to the Earth to feed the plants

Why shouldn't they?

No.

#7 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

no

I think there should be some regulations. Honestly I'm not sure how much.

In early stages

yes

No. If there is an intelligent deity, i do not see any evidence that he has anything to do with us down here

Considering the vast size of the universe I think it's very possible there is life on other planets, we are here. If not now then at some point in the universes existence.

no but i don't know for sure

[ugh yesthey are a necessity

Don't know

yes

Do you accept evolution

:)

Edited by Cat, 05 April 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#8 Planiversal

Planiversal

Gigantic Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Answer: No
Why?: Because that doesn't seem compatible with my understanding of human nature, physics, thermodynamics or logic.

Answer: Should be strengthened to maintain the spirit of its intent.
Why: The 2nd amendment was made to foster civic resistance to remnant British colonialism. People forget that the demographics of the time didn't necessarily favor the rebels. An armed citizenry could literally stop an army's movements for years. Today, it has become more of a inconvenience as 'our' forces are the ones that are being kept in balance - but only a minor inconvenience as it is nothing more than an illusory balance. At least the balance of difficult progress is maintained somewhat, though the US military would still be able to move at relative ease - albeit more slowly.

Answer: In it's current state, no.
Why: The status quo does not extend an "equal protection and opportunity" to men either in the negative or affirmative. Something (don't know what) must be done about this. Realms of choice for parenthood exist for women from abortion, adoption, guaranteed custody and tax subsidy and the list goes on ad nauseum - men are not protected at all and I've seen it drive a few of them literally insane with the inequity.

Why: At the end of the day, though seeing starving children in telethons tugs the heart strings just as much as it does everyone else's, I cannot convince myself that it is permissible to take and redistribute wealth based upon social inequity which has it's root causes stemming from a myriad of sources, not least of which is the fact that the person with the wealth originally tended to choose to earn it. If those wealthy people choose to be philanthropists, I applaud and endorse them - but I cannot philosophically say it is sound to forcefully take his wealth from him based on my morality... no matter how much I think he ought to do it of his own volition.

Answer: I don't think about it really. The answer is then "no"
Why: See answer to question 1.

Answer: It is plausible, I do not 'believe' in it though.
Why: I would not be surprised nor would I be unsurprised. We have too little a sample set to divine the probabilities of life arising even if we could understand the exact mechanism by which it did - however, the universe's scale is dramatic and beyond comprehension. That scale, both in time and space - make it plausible that life has developed elsewhere of all variety.

Answer: Question is vague, I'll go with "yes"
Why: "lack thereof" is pretty encompassing. Pearl harbor intel, for instance, has been verified to have existed. As was the knowledge of Osama and the threats - the lack of action is not arguable. What is argued is the motive. Was it incompetence or purposeful? I believe incompetence, I do not have nearly the superhuman fantasy picture of government agents that most have. They are stiffs working 9-5 and chit chatting about what they hope happens next in Lost or Heroes, not mythical computers by which nothing can hope to escape the attention of. Hell, they're not even particularly good about knowing what will happen next in Lost by the watercooler... If they were, they'd be getting paid a lot more.

Answer: Yes. Yes, but by "benefit" I mean significantly less than most.
Why: You nailed it in the question, it must benefit the 'average' American citizen... by which it must mean not a mere majority (51%)... but damn near every citizen. I.E. - Defense, Public Infrastructure, Trade. Otherwise, the collective taxes of the nation should not be used, rather those regions or specialized groups should be pooling their money to support those causes (which would be simpler to do if they weren't giving it all to massive federal budgets).

Answer: Nothing. No more.
Why: See answer to number 1 and 5.

Answer: Yes. No.
Why: They deserve the same protection and advantages for their union that straights have. The error came, as the often do, from a failure of foresight a long time ago when the government came to recognize what was, at its fundamental level, a religious practice. This should be rectified to remove the one qualm I have. Churches should not be forced, by government mandate, to recognize something by their religion's original nomenclature which they believe is wrong as valid. Also, the government should no longer recognize any "marriage" in terms of filing status or tax exemptions, rather - they should notice the 'permanent union' as applied for via court house of all couples. Also, penalty and back taxes should be applied to those that falter on their contract with the government. If people don't like that, then it should not be recognized at all by government and various faiths may administer whatever governmentally valueless label they choose to whomever they choose.

Why: That "should" word.

see above

#9 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

I didn't go into why i believe or don't believe like i do. That would take a book.

#10 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,986 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

1. Do you believe in Jesus Christ dying for the sins of future generations, and that through his death, we are all able to be "saved" from future horrors by accepting him as our saviour? YES

2. What are your views on the Second Amendment? Still legal

3. Do you support a woman's right to choose to have an abortion? As long as it's hers and not from outside forces and in extreme circumstances like rape or incest.
4. Do you believe in programs to advance and help your fellow citizens in a time of need, while at the same time enforcing rules on these programs to ensure that they not be abused? That's a few assumptions. It assumes the programs will help without stating what the programs are. Enforcing the rules I guess you mean like the govt? Who enforces the govt? And don't say the citizens because they don't.

6. Do you believe in extraterrestrial life, be it intelligent, or unintelligent? Very possible

7. In your opinion, was the US government involved, by direct action or lack thereof, in things such as 9/11 and the Kennedy assassination? Lack thereof seems more plausible as things could fall thru the cracks or red tape etc getting in the way. Seems to help #4.
8. Do you think taxes are a good thing, and do you agree that the money generated from taxes go to benefit the average American citizen? Necessary evil. Not always. Term limits would fall into the category of better enforcement of congress.
9. What happens when we die? Only one way to find out. Don't be wrong.

10. Should homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals, and should they be allowed to get married? Sure. I'm for equal rights.

11. Can you think of any more areas I have not covered here that should be asked? Confirmation bias or cognitive dissonance as it relates to the aforementioned questions. :D

The previous answers do not reflect the views of The Huddle in any way.

#11 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

I think Jesus was the answer to a lot of the problems facing the clash of church vs. state (mainly the jews and the romans) during his time. He was no different than any rebel against society, but gained worldwide noteriety unlike any other (and is now the most famous rebel in the history of the world).

Is he the son of God? I certainly don't think so, but God is arbitrary to me (I am agnostic). I think he was a great story and a cabalist that his growing followers could get behind in order to establish a rebellion.

He very well could have been a very smart guy that saw the chance to unite people toward a greater good, and so he used the muse that he was the son of God to further his mission. Whether or not his closest followers believed him or simply understood his purpose, it worked and Christianity is a booming.

No strong views on it really. Gun control is a bad concept however because it would just take the guns away from the people that purchase them legally (In other words it won't curb crime). There are a lot of idiots that buy guns though.

Again, no strong views on this. Women that choose to put themselves in situations where they can become pregnant (knowingly) and still do it knowing she can just abort is sickening. However, I think pregnancy is just a form of biology...so abortions are just another way of halting science (In other words, I don't think pregnancy is some divine miracle or the work of something bigger than us).

To a degree, but I think a lot of those programs are corrupt and mishandled.

5. Going back to question one... If you answered "no" to this question, do you believe in an intelligent deity that has what is best for mankind already mapped out (fate) and that we really have no choices in life becaTo use our destiny is already determined?

I believe God is simply the driving force in the fabric of our time. God is just the idea of bridged gaps and an entity in things that are simply unexplainable by man. God isn't a physical figure, but a self-working intelligence that we will never be able to grasp.

Sure, too big a universe for us to be at the center of it.

I think, to an extent, there was definitely inside knowledge on both accounts. How deep the involvement goes I have no clue on.

So much tax money is wasted on utterly worthless s**t. The tax system has a place in our government but we are in so deep and the system has become so corrupt that taxes in general are demonized every day.

Not a clue in the world...and I hope I don't find out anytime soon!

Same rights? Sure. But I also think marriage should be completely separate from the state. Leave marriage to religion and give all the benefits to civil unions.

Maybe later :D

#12 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Well, I believe in the soul, the cock, the pussy, the small of a woman's back, the hanging curve ball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days.

#13 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,986 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

Well, I believe in the soul, the cock, the pussy, the small of a woman's back, the hanging curve ball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days.

When do we work on our cliches?

#14 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,561 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

I don't know. Not being facetious but the idea of the creator is so complex and mind boggling that I usually go with i have no idea. It seems strange that I can be saved that way but the Universe is a damn strange place.

I think it had to do with the need for a well maintained militia which is not needed anymore. However I am registered libertarian which suggests you should be able to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't bother me.

Yes

Sure

No i believe in free will

Probably. Only because however big my brain can imagine the Universe being it is infinitely bigger. must be something out there

It's possible

Sometimes

To complex for me to know. I suspect it goes black like before i was born. But it would be a pleasant surprise if there were an afterlife or reincarnation.

Sure go for it

Drugs. War.

#15 Starscream

Starscream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLaurinburg, NC

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

Somewhat
I am glad we have the second ammendment
Yes
Somewhat, if we could truly find a way for them to not be abused. But the federal gov't doesn't seem to be able to do so.
I beleive in an intelligent deity who created the world (not from an Adam and Eve standpoint), but not sure if he is a personal God or not. I do pray and am thankful for our creator.

Yes, in some form or another. The universe is too big for us to be the only form of life out there.
In lack of action, yes.
Taxes are necessary for the gov't to run, but we pay too much in taxes now.
I'll tell you when I die.
Same rights yes, but churches should not be forced to perform these marriages. Churches that choose to do so fine; but other churches should not be forced to marry anyone that they do not want to. That applies to both homosexual and heterosexual relationships.
Views on the war in Afghanistan/Iraq? Views on US bases placed strategically around the world (Germany, Japan, Korea...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com