Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g5jamz

47% of Americans pay no federal taxes

40 posts in this topic

Exxon not paying taxes is a blatant lie from DailyKOS.

Forbes is DailyKOS?

Mind you, not all global megacorps enjoy such low tax rates. Try to muster some pity for Big Oil. ExxonMobil ( XOM - news - people ) in its 2009 annual report to the SEC, recorded a larger income tax expense than any other U.S. company last year, some $15 billion, or 47% of pretax earnings.

That's in the article you posted, from Forbes.

That's in the article you posted, from Forbes.

is DailyKOS hidden in there somewhere?

No, DailyKOS is where the lie originated yesterday. And here you are today posting it like a good little robot.

1 person likes this

No, DailyKOS is where the lie originated yesterday. And here you are today posting it like a good little robot.

Forbes is a fairly reputable publication. I doubt they would take anything daily kos writes at face value.

My guess is that the discrepancy lies with some accounting issue that one would have to spend several years studying accounting to figure it out. But I believe that Exxon pays a tremendous amount of taxes, whether it qualifies as income tax or some other form, I don't know.

No, the DailyKOS version of the lie is they pay no taxes.

i don't get it. i post a forbes article and you're ranting at me about dailykos.

and you're calling me a robot?

All I know is I had to write Uncle Sam a $15k check or so a few years back... That sucks ass when you consider some people don't pay anything, or get money back...

Apparently to get money back you have to be lazy, incompetent, and make some of the worst decisions you can.

Apparently to get money back you have to be lazy, incompetent, and make some of the worst decisions you can.

Obama is getting a check?

1 person likes this

All I know is I had to write Uncle Sam a $15k check or so a few years back... That sucks ass when you consider some people don't pay anything, or get money back...

My wife's coworkers include a lot of single mom's. She is filipina and not use to the american tax system, and cannot understand why every year, we have to pay a few bucks (I arrange it like that) while her coworkers get 3-4 thousand back due to earned income credit. I tried to explain it to her, but I think she just wants a reason to gripe about taxes.

Just wait until that VAT hits...