Photo
- - - - -

How to sign your core group and take advantage of the uncapped year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#73 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

The key is how much signing bonus money. Look at Beason. How long of a deal do you want? 5 years? Let's start with that. He made 1.1 million for a base last year so he can get increases of 330k/year. That means in 2010, he'll get 1.43 million, 2011 = 1.76 million, 2012 = 2.09 million, 2013 =2.42 million and 2014 = 2.75 million for a total contracted base salary of 10.45 million. I consider Beason to be one of the top LBs in the league now. That would put is total salary in the 9-10 million range. There are some paid more than that now. So basically, just to get him up with the compensation NOW, we need a 35 million plus signing bonus. If I'm his agent, I'll want to project increases in salaries and ask for even more. Now we have Beason signed. How much do you think we need to sign Kalil?

From my example already posted, I would give Kalil a 3 year extension recognizing we can visit it again with the new CBA and renegotiate. I would give him a total of around 15 milion signing and roster bonuses. 10 million guaranteed up from, another 5 in a roster bonus down the road and another 4 or 5 million in bonuses likely to be earned. Total compensation would be around 24 million for 3 years. More than adequate.

#74 Sandy Claws

Sandy Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

From my example already posted, I would give Kalil a 3 year extension recognizing we can visit it again with the new CBA and renegotiate. I would give him a total of around 15 milion signing and roster bonuses. 10 million guaranteed up from, another 5 in a roster bonus down the road and another 4 or 5 million in bonuses likely to be earned. Total compensation would be around 24 million for 3 years. More than adequate.

His 2009 salary was 460K so, following the 30% rule, his base salaries for those 3 years can be 598K, 736K, & 874K. You're going to have to open up the wallet more if you expect a pro-bowl center to sign a 3 year deal. He & his agent are going to want a longer deal.

#75 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

His 2009 salary was 460K so, following the 30% rule, his base salaries for those 3 years can be 598K, 736K, & 874K. You're going to have to open up the wallet more if you expect a pro-bowl center to sign a 3 year deal. He & his agent are going to want a longer deal.

And the reality is so would we. But both his agent and he have to know that many teams will be facing this and they will all want to lock up their core group of guys as well. With a ton of money going to those guys next year, Kalil will be among a big group of guys who may not paid as well as they would have liked or for as long as they would have wanted given the issues every team will face. With everyone going cheap this year I really doubt they open up the pursestrings too wide next year either.

#76 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:54 PM

Marshall's contract still has to comply. They haven't published the details but I bet you'll find base salaries about 30% up from his 2 million (or so) salary last year. It's going to be loaded with some guaranteed Roster bonuses etc., that can be converted for cap savings if we get one back.

Looking at it you are correct as it was an extension and not a new contract.

#77 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

Looking at it you are correct as it was an extension and not a new contract.

That was one of my questions. With Davis working under the tender if he is given a long term contract does he have to follow the 30% rule. SF says yes. What do you think??

#78 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

I think with a new contract it wouldn't matter so long as the contract doesn't increase 30% in any one given year. The rule is that the contract can't increase more than 30% WITHIN the contract, thus presenting problems with extensions of rookie contracts.

Demeco Ryans was signed for a new contract which included $7 million in salary for 2010, which is certainly more than 30% of his 2009 salary as he was a second round pick originally. I think this is allowed as it is not the same contract so the slate is wiped clean.

The same rules would apply with Davis if offered a brand new contract.

#79 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

"12:47

[Comment From Sam JacksonSam Jackson: ]
Any word on DWill getting an extension of some sort, or are we going to roll the dice with the whole CBA situation up in the air?
Monday April 19, 2010 12:47 Sam Jackson
12:48

Charles Chandler:
Their hands are tied because of new CBA rules this year. They'll have to wait until after the season.

Read more: http://www.heraldonl...l#ixzz0lZWL1b9M"

So it evidently isn't as cut and dry as you think. There are issues preventing them from getting these contract extensions that everyone (including the Panthers FO) done.

#80 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

"12:47

[Comment From Sam JacksonSam Jackson: ]
Any word on DWill getting an extension of some sort, or are we going to roll the dice with the whole CBA situation up in the air?
Monday April 19, 2010 12:47 Sam Jackson
12:48

Charles Chandler:
Their hands are tied because of new CBA rules this year. They'll have to wait until after the season.

Read more: http://www.heraldonl...l#ixzz0lZWL1b9M"

So it evidently isn't as cut and dry as you think. There are issues preventing them from getting these contract extensions that everyone (including the Panthers FO) done.

The issue is the 30% rule as far as an extension. Once his contract expires it won't be an extension and the 30% rules doesn't apply. At least that is what I think I learned in all these posts???????:thumbsup:

#81 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:54 PM

I didn't read the entire thread. Just was passing along something I read today, that I thought was interesting.