• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rod Butsecks

Rod Butsecks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

It isn't often you assign a winning grade to a team that doesn't have a first-round pick. But the Panthers, who dealt this year's first-round pick in a bid to move up for Florida State defensive end Everette Brown last year, get the nod.p/Badly in need of quarterback help after sending Jake Delhomme packing, the Panthers got lucky with Jimmy Clausen falling to them in the second round. And they added even more depth at the position with Wildcat quarterback Armanti Edwards of Appalachian State and Cincinnati's Tony Pike.

More...

#2 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:42 AM

lol its like whoever wrote that went out and found the worst grades for the panthers and just pasta'd them.

#3 Guest_silver82blade_*

Guest_silver82blade_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:21 AM

i don't understand the whole argument that they shouldn't have drafted a qb if fox is out the door next year. teams need a qb. why make the new coach find one? do they understand how difficult it is to find a franchise qb? you can't just go into a draft or an offseason and expect to find one. when they're there, you have to take them and hope it works out. if the new coach doesn't like clausen, he can just trade him for goodness sakes.

#4 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:22 AM

"Here are some obscure writers' opinions."

#5 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:03 AM

i don't understand the whole argument that they shouldn't have drafted a qb if fox is out the door next year. teams need a qb. why make the new coach find one? do they understand how difficult it is to find a franchise qb? you can't just go into a draft or an offseason and expect to find one. when they're there, you have to take them and hope it works out. if the new coach doesn't like clausen, he can just trade him for goodness sakes.

well lets see. it WAS, the panthers cannot succeed this year because they dont have an overhyped quarterback. oh... and they CANT draft one because they dont have a first, because the panthers organization is stupid... for trading away first rounders. but now that they have a hyped up quarterback... that they drafted... without a first... they are still stupid caz of *insert assbackward reason here*... because me the writer refuses to admit being wrong. besides... its not like the panthers have ever been successful... theyve been a talentless, no-name team since their superbowl run, and are totally incapable of having winning seasons.

#6 CaliPanthers

CaliPanthers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:22 AM

Jimmy Clausen has a good chance to beat out Matt Moore for the Starting QB position within the next year. Im a Matt Moore believer but still realistic that Clausen is more talented than Moore and could make the Panthers even more scary. A true Franchise QB, which i think Clausen COULD become, something I dont see Moore becoming. I do feel Moore can be a good starting QB in the league though especially in our run first offense but Clausen in our offense COULD be scary.

Brandon Lafell, I wasnt big on at first but after watching his interview and looking at some more information on him, I think he will be a good pick. He fits what the Panthers do as a team (great blocker), he is a Senior so should contribute from day one. Plays faster than he times and more agile than his frame would indicate.

Armanti Edwards is a pick I really like. I know giving up a 2nd round pick is pretty steep, Edwards the player is a playmaker. By all indications, he looked really good catching the ball at his pro day workout and fielding punts. I read a report that had the Colts taking him in the late 3rd, so the Panthers traded up and selected him. Julian Edleman and Josh Cribbs are both former college QB that became WR. For the last 4 years Edwards has been making plays with his feet. He is very tough to take down, plays with a chip on his shoulder and has a 5th gear. Im confident that he will prove the haters wrong. Should be a good slot in the future, understands zones being a former QB.

Eric Norwood is a very good pick, great value. When i see Norwood I see someone that will compete at the SLB position but also give us a blitzing LB on passing down. A role that Thomas Davis played his rookie year. Norwood is a great football player and the coaches will find the right positon for him.

Greg Hardy is an incredible Value pick. His off the field issues and inconsistent play are the two things that really hurt his stock. His frame and game translate to the NFL though and using a 6th round pick on a player like Hardy could have big time upside. He has already stated he is gonna be the steal of the draft where ever round he goes.

David Gettis is a player im not too familiar with but reading over his scouting report and seeing a few highlights, Gattis seems like a big WR with good speed for someone his size. Seems like he body catches but he can still improve that. Looks like he can be used in the return game some. Gives us depth at the WR position, with the potential to become something.

Jordan Pugh is a player im not familiar with. Dont know if he is a SS or FS. Ive seen he has played CB before. I know Myron Rolle was on the board when we picked him, just something to keep an eye on. Does have very good speed for a safety though, should be good on special teams.

Tony Pike is a best player available. I know it wasnt a need but adding another QB that the teams feels it can develope and possibly become a good QB in the league or trade in the future. I was kinda high on Pike but didnt impress me much during the Senior Bowl or Combine.

RJ Stanford is a player im not too familiar with. Looks like he has good speed, confident and a good cover CB. Should provide good depth and could possibly suprise. Panthers must have rated him above guys like Donavan Warren and other big name CB that didnt get draft or felt like he had a higher upside, so just because he isnt a big name, doesnt mean its a worthless pick.

Robert McClain... see RJ Stanford

I dont think we had many needs going into this draft. Yea WR but other than that, there was no true huge need. Only depth really.

This team has so much young talent on it, been saying this for a long time. The drafting of Jimmy Clausen could be a turning point in this Franchise. I always felt if you put a franchise type QB on the Panthers that we could compete for the Super Bowl year in and year out. Well Clausen has a chance to become that, he still needs to improve but he does have the skills and being able to draft a player like that in the 2nd round is a slam dunk.

Competition brings out the best in players, so whoever wins the QB job next year and into the future will have definitely earned the position and should only make the Panthers better.

#7 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

nice post Cali.

#8 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

lol its like whoever wrote that went out and found the worst grades for the panthers and just pasta'd them.

Macaroni writers, I call them impastas.

#9 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

As for Fox's situation, I LOVE what Gruden said about this during the draft.

He said that it is no big deal. He said that every coach (with only a few exceptions) could be in the last year of their current contract. The only difference is that Fox would not get paid after that one year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.