• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jets footage on the trade back from 65

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

you are correct, it's too early to judge.

one thing that's interesting to think about is, we have have a pretty good idea of what dan is looking for and that vision is a bit more clear in the draft. it's kind of these ferocious guys that have that fight or that dawg in them. some have a lot of natural talent, but are a bit unrefined and untuned, but they play with a lot of aggression. and we can see that he's trying to get us back to a point where no matter what we did, we were going to be putting up a fight.

i think both he and canales have that in mind, but more morgan in the design and he got canales in to get that fight in them tuned and refined and channeled where it needs to go.

looking back at the past couple regimes...rhule, reich, fitt...especially fitt...what was the plan? what was their vision of the panthers? what did they have in mind? i don't think i know. i don't think they knew. 

The biggest problem we've had with this team since Rivera left is that we have become progressively more timid. Certainly on offense, but mostly on defense. 

Football is not a finesse sport. It isn't gentlemanly. You don't want to kill or injure opposing players, but it is essential that you knock them hard enough to intimidate them or at least make them pensive about every move they make. 

We used to be those guys. And we haven't been for a very long time. 

So, I hope Dan and Dave can bring us back to this. We need it. And a tough, hard hitting team always gives you a shot, even when you might not have the finesse talent on the field. 

Yes, it is a passing league, but scared or addled receivers and QBs change the whole game.

We need our grit back. We've been a bunch of neutered Persian cats for too long.

persian cat GIF

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

The biggest problem we've had with this team since Rivera left is that we have become progressively more timid. Certainly on offense, but mostly on defense. 

Football is not a finesse sport. It isn't gentlemanly. You don't want to kill or injure opposing players, but it is essential that you knock them hard enough to intimidate them or at least make them pensive about every move they make. 

We used to be those guys. And we haven't been for a very long time. 

So, I hope Dan and Dave can bring us back to this. We need it. And a tough, hard hitting team always gives you a shot, even when you might not have the finesse talent on the field. 

Yes, it is a passing league, but scared or addled receivers and QBs change the whole game.

We need our grit back. We've been a bunch of neutered Persian cats for too long.

persian cat GIF

i think that in the last year or two of fox, we had started becoming complacent and just accepted losing as not a big deal. we were ok with it. 

with cam (NOT because of Rivera) we started getting some of that grit back, but then after the superbowl run in '15 gettleman killed the team by gutting it. since then we never recovered. guys that could have helped us, he let go. 

rivera was a nice guy. he wasn't a tough leader that brought out the best in people. the league let cam get beat up because they didn't like him rivera and our front office had no spine to stand up for him. 

then rhule came and whatever fight/keep pounding spirit we had in us, he ran out of town. 

you combine all that with what you were talking about, NFL becoming a finesse passing league, made the league soft. i think with the way it appears we are getting rebuilt, we will be bringing back some smashmouth. will we focus on pounding the rock a lot of the game? i sure hope so because teams aren't really built to stop that kind of thing anymore. and the more you are built like that, the further you will go in the playoffs. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RumHam said:

how is it changing your mind? you've seen nothing of the product on the field. WE SAID THE SAME THING LAST YEAR

Because it is my mind--I don't need your approval to change it.   Do you always poo a post before seeking clarification?  I could have explained it, but your intent was not to learn.

Edited by MHS831

Posted (edited)

Read the first line of my post---then read your response.  A few points---I acknowledge that I have not seen the players on the field yet, something you seem to point out in order to attack my opinion--that is what I call going full  Richard Cranium.  I state that he did not get bullied (trade values don't need performance criteria--they make trades without knowing the player's nfl game performance in the draft--should not have to explain that to you.  There are still good deals and bad deals).   He did not get bullied like the trade up last year.  He got us a second rounder back.  How is that like Fitterer last year?  I'll wait for you to answer, but I do not think you will--effectively using things called "facts"

image.png.f66f3b881177aec1dcc15c01f2c3806d.png

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 1:12 PM, rayzor said:

i think that in the last year or two of fox, we had started becoming complacent and just accepted losing as not a big deal. we were ok with it. 

with cam (NOT because of Rivera) we started getting some of that grit back, but then after the superbowl run in '15 gettleman killed the team by gutting it. since then we never recovered. guys that could have helped us, he let go. 

rivera was a nice guy. he wasn't a tough leader that brought out the best in people. the league let cam get beat up because they didn't like him rivera and our front office had no spine to stand up for him. 

then rhule came and whatever fight/keep pounding spirit we had in us, he ran out of town. 

you combine all that with what you were talking about, NFL becoming a finesse passing league, made the league soft. i think with the way it appears we are getting rebuilt, we will be bringing back some smashmouth. will we focus on pounding the rock a lot of the game? i sure hope so because teams aren't really built to stop that kind of thing anymore. and the more you are built like that, the further you will go in the playoffs. 

See the Titans and Derrick Henry. 

That style of play is not winning any super bowls in todays NFL. 

They never made it further than the conference game. That was with a QB, RB, and WR all better than anything our current group has ever put on the field. 

Hiding Bryce with that style of play is really a damn shame. Just play out this year and try again at QB if we have to play like that for him to have any kind of success. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

See the Titans and Derrick Henry. 

That style of play is not winning any super bowls in todays NFL. 

They never made it further than the conference game. That was with a QB, RB, and WR all better than anything our current group has ever put on the field. 

Hiding Bryce with that style of play is really a damn shame. Just play out this year and try again at QB if we have to play like that for him to have any kind of success. 

The worst thing that can happen to this franchise right now is accepting and moving forward with QB play that is "just good enough" to compete. In a league that is so absurdly skewed toward offense and passing the ball specifically you either acquire a dynamic passer or you keep looking until you do.

Bryce is a nice guy his family seem like very nice people but we had the chance and did not pick the right QB and it really doesn't even matter anymore who is to blame. All that needs to happen is we accept reality. Even if Bryce Young looks better this year which will be roughly average or a Teddy Bridgewater if you will we still need to add another QB early in next years draft. The only way this shouldn't happen is if by some miracle Bryce Young has a season like CJ Stroud had as a rookie. But no amount of hopium is going to make the odds of that happening higher than 10%.

• Pie 1