35 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

I have never understood why countries around the world let us keep 10s of thousands of troops on their land. I get the benefit to the US as world police

Japan is an obvious one to say get the heck out. They have a sturdy army.

Cuba is a funny one. Basically we sent them a rent check a few decades ago and they refused to cash it. So we just stayed and they ignore us. Funny for a country that declared us evil and we have embargoed for 40 years

We have tons in Germany and Italy. I would have thought Germany would say..."so WWII was a long time ago..."

Or do they think we are a good deterrent against Russia?

29,000 troops in NK makes sense I guess

I'm not complaining, just is interesting

Tens of thousands of Okinawan residents and leaders demanded a U.S. Marine base be moved off the island at a mass rally Sunday, inflamed by speculation the government may finally accept a plan to merely relocate it to another part of the southern Japanese island.

Okinawans have long complained of the burden of hosting most of 47,000 American troops in Japan under a security pact. Okinawa was under U.S. occupation until 1972 and many residents resent the U.S. military presence as legacy of Japan's World War II defeat.

Tokyo and Washington agreed in 2006 to move sprawling Futenma Marine Corps air field to a less crowded part of Okinawa and to move 8,000 of its Marines to Guam. But when Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama took power last September he said he would not honor the deal struck by his political rivals and promised to find a site off Okinawa for the troops.

"We will not allow the base to stay here," Okinawa Gov. Hirokazu Nakaima told the cheering crowd. "We want the Hatoyama government to keep its promise."

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 21,698 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

Money and lots of it.

Japan as a nation with a actual self sufficient defence force is a recent development. Okinawa is a fairly good staging point for Korea, which Japan has a strong interest in keeping.

#3 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

I hope this starts spreading to the other occupied countries. Libertarians are ahead of the curve. :P

#4 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Do any other countries do this? I don't know of Russian troops spread around the world...

#5 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Do any other countries do this? I don't know of Russian troops spread around the world...

I'm talking about the countries with OUR troops knucklehead.

#6 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

No i know what you are saying. I'm libertarian afterall.

Was really just chatting with myself

carry on

#7 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

:P

#8 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

aww e-friends

#9 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

and lovers

#10 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

aww e-friends

e-jealousy is such an ugly e-trait.

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

Fine...move to Guam. Or pull back to Hawaii. But don't expect a quick reaction time if NK gets ronery and decides to piss everyone off.

#12 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

e-jealousy is such an ugly e-trait.

I'm an e-loner, Dottie. An e-rebel.

#13 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

Fine...move to Guam. Or pull back to Hawaii. But don't expect a quick reaction time if NK gets ronery and decides to piss everyone off.

Well obviously that's dumb. It could tip over.

#14 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

This argument doesn't make that much sense. We can have a carrier group off the coast of NK in short order. probably one off the coast of China right now anyway. Missile strikes would take that long either.

When NK attacks SK our ground troops aren't going to make much difference to the 1/2M SK troops. And it will not be a ground war anyway. those times are past

#15 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

This argument doesn't make that much sense. We can have a carrier group off the coast of NK in short order. probably one off the coast of China right now anyway. Missile strikes would take that long either.

When NK attacks SK our ground troops aren't going to make much difference to the 1/2M SK troops. And it will not be a ground war anyway. those times are past

re: SK...you're right. I'm talking region. There's obviously a need for us to have a base in the area, but response time is critical. Thousands of civilians were killed in short order by tyrants in the past...and we've only become more talented and proficient at killing. Hope it never happens to the levels ww2 took us to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.