20 replies to this topic

#1 360EASY

360EASY

I gotta stay here u dont

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Is it me or is Will Witherspoon still making huge plays......I know its super old but does anybody know why we got rid of him?:confused:

#2 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,141 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:02 AM

i dont know why we got rid of him. i loved him when he was here. one reason why our defense was so good back then . i say hes way better than thomas davis. there was a rumor of panthers trying to bring him back this year but guess they have too many lbs.

#3 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:36 AM

$. $. $.

#4 Malachias

Malachias

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:10 AM

$. $. $.

pretty much that.

IIRC back then the front office basically had to decide whether to extend dan morgan or witherspoon - they decided to re-sign morgan. thus, spoon then moved on and signed a big deal with the rams, who wanted him to start at the MLB spot; that didn't work out, so he was shipped out of town a couple of seasons later...

#5 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:16 AM

Spoon has never really been a play maker. Solid and would always show up in the stat line, but rarely a difference maker.

Yes, this came down to money.

#6 jbland

jbland

Huddle Chiropractor

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

i dont know why we got rid of him. i loved him when he was here. one reason why our defense was so good back then . i say hes way better than thomas davis. there was a rumor of panthers trying to bring him back this year but guess they have too many lbs.

Better than Davis? I always liked spoon but he is not better than td. After last season Davis proved he is one of the better lBers in the league.

#7 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:23 AM

St. Louis overpaid for Witherspoon.

#8 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

Spoon has never really been a play maker. Solid and would always show up in the stat line, but rarely a difference maker.

Yes, this came down to money.

I don't know what your rationale for that is spoon was one ofthe best cover OLB when he left here. He made a ton of plays in coverage.

#9 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,439 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

i think we've done one hell of a job replacing him ;)

#10 SnarkAttack

SnarkAttack

Master of Disaster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

Don't forget it came down to choosing Spoon or Morgan, and we clearly made the wrong choice....

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

Dan Morgan gave us the best chance to win.

-channeling John Fox

#12 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

Love the ignorance. Leave dan moran our of this. We made him a good offer to continue playing olb for us. The rams gave him 33 million to play mlb for them. he wasn't worth the money then...and he certainly isn't as good as davis.

#13 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

It was either Spoon or Foster. Unfortunately, the Panthers chose the latter.

#14 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

To me, as soon as we drafted TD...Witherspoon became expendable. I'm glad we finally stop f***ing around and put TD at his natural position of WLB.

#15 BF91

BF91

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

We can say that not signing 'Spoon was a bad decision, but to be honest we don't know if TD would have developed the way he has, or if we would have ended up with Beason if we still had Spoony. Things like Spony signing elsewhere can make a big difference down the road and affects team's needs. Maybe TD never develops to the stud that he is today and gets cut or is a back-up. Maybe we miss out on drafting Beason because our record isn't the same that year.

Either way, while I love Spoony, we're not in a bad situation now as far as linebackers go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.