976 replies to this topic

#181 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

Awesome thanks a lot for the help. Yes I am close to everything so I'm going to do the above mentioned. Good directions to go, the sweeter the better so I'll try the brown ales first, thanks :)

If you like sweet but still want it to taste like beer (read: not like mikes hard or smirnoff stuff) might I suggest one of the Sam Adams fruit brews. I think Blackberry Witbier is the one out now, but they do a different one for each season. Might be worth a shot for ya.

And here's a few brown ales to try - Pete's Wicked Ale, Bell's Best Brown Ale, Lost Coast's Downtown Brown Ale, and (if you're in NC and can find it) Natty Greene's Old Town Brown.

I know I'm no Beaux Berry, but I play one on TV.

#182 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

If you like sweet but still want it to taste like beer (read: not like mikes hard or smirnoff stuff) might I suggest one of the Sam Adams fruit brews. I think Blackberry Witbier is the one out now, but they do a different one for each season. Might be worth a shot for ya.

And here's a few brown ales to try - Pete's Wicked Ale, Bell's Best Brown Ale, Lost Coast's Downtown Brown Ale, and (if you're in NC and can find it) Natty Greene's Old Town Brown.

I know I'm no Beaux Berry, but I play one on TV.

Hey, everyone who loves beer is equal in this thread. Of the one's you've mentioned, I've only had the Bell's. I really like Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

I've also been meaning to try Sierra Nevada's Tumbler. It's their fall seasonal, but it just recently hit the shelves.

#183 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

Hey, everyone who loves beer is equal in this thread. Of the one's you've mentioned, I've only had the Bell's. I really like Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

I've also been meaning to try Sierra Nevada's Tumbler. It's their fall seasonal, but it just recently hit the shelves.

Downtown is robust, but definately has less of a burnt taste than most other brown ales. Wicked Ale is a good middle-of-the-road style and makes a great fall back (like Newcastle without that slightly watered down taste). Old Town is definately the sweetest of the bunch, almost a pure caramel flavor.

Not a fan of Sierra Nevada, but that's mainly because I'm not a fan of pale ales. Fall seasonals are usually the best beers of the year though....

#184 LowDownBrown

LowDownBrown

Knowledge?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

This Spaten Optimator is smooth. Very easy to drink. Still a lot of flavor. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't drink hopsy beers but wants to try something different.

18 minutes Salt. Someone better bail you out of jail tonight. Otherwise, it wasn't a good birthday :)

#185 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,803 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

;) that's 5 years ago now I have a family and can't go to jail but I'm drunk as hell if that is any consolation.

#186 LowDownBrown

LowDownBrown

Knowledge?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Understood. At least make it a misdomeaner :)

#187 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

Pete's Wicked Ale is a really solid entry point for someone coming off of the mass produced beers. If all youve been drinking is Anheuser Bush/InBev product then Pete's has got a big flavor that will be a nice intermediate step.

Props INGBBA for thinking of it.

Along those same lines another gateway beer could be a Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager. Its light in the mouth for a dark beer. Its not at all hoppy with toasted malts and caramel notes.

#188 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Along those same lines another gateway beer could be a Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager. Its light in the mouth for a dark beer. Its not at all hoppy with toasted malts and caramel notes.

Yep, that's a pretty mild dark beer that I think many would appreciate.

Another interesting gateway dark beer is New Belgium's 1554. I think it's called a black ale, but it's fermented with a lager yeast. It has some of that brown ale/porter taste to it, with the crispness and -- dare I say it --drinkability of a lager. Great beer for a cookout.

#189 JakeFlake

JakeFlake

The King of Kings

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

Need a good beer for tonight's game ... any suggestions?

#190 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

What beers (or styles of beer) do you currently drink?

#191 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

I think Im going to pick up a couple bombers of Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale. Ive had it once before and remember liking it but its been a while so its time to circle back around to this one.

Will likely grab a Hop Stoopid or a Moylans Hopsickle for backup in case I'm remembering a different beer on the Farmhouse.

#192 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

I think Im going to pick up a couple bombers of Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale. Ive had it once before and remember liking it but its been a while so its time to circle back around to this one.

Will likely grab a Hop Stoopid or a Moylans Hopsickle for backup in case I'm remembering a different beer on the Farmhouse.

I've been meaning to try some Hopsickle. I've heard it's about as bitter as it gets. Hop Stoopid is delicious.

I'm going to a buddy's place to watch the game, and will likely just bring some stuff from the fridge. I just picked up a New Holland variety 12-pack, so I'll probably bring that.

#193 JakeFlake

JakeFlake

The King of Kings

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

What beers (or styles of beer) do you currently drink?

I'll try just about anything.

#194 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

I'll try just about anything.

Have you had Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale? It's one of the better examples of its style. If you wanted something more hoppy (and also bitter), I would recommend their Tornado IPA. Both of these beers are pretty good bargains, as they can be had for around $7.99 a six-pack.

That Spaten Optimator that LowDownBrown is talking about might be a good one. It's a really good doppelbock and, if you're not used to the hoppier beers (or just plain don't like them), it's got a nice maltiness to it.

There are plenty of porters and stouts out there that I love, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. You probably don't want to drink a ton of stouts while watching football (though I've certainly done it before).

Let me know if you've got any questions about other styles.

#195 JakeFlake

JakeFlake

The King of Kings

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

Have you had Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale? It's one of the better examples of its style. If you wanted something more hoppy (and also bitter), I would recommend their Tornado IPA. Both of these beers are pretty good bargains, as they can be had for around $7.99 a six-pack.

That Spaten Optimator that LowDownBrown is talking about might be a good one. It's a really good doppelbock and, if you're not used to the hoppier beers (or just plain don't like them), it's got a nice maltiness to it.

There are plenty of porters and stouts out there that I love, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. You probably don't want to drink a ton of stouts while watching football (though I've certainly done it before).

Let me know if you've got any questions about other styles.

Something light and on the sweet side is probably what I am looking for, like a Cider, but I would like to try something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.