#1 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

Though the Panthers envision rookie WR Armanti Edwards on both kickoff and punt returns, he's concentrating on punts for now.

Edwards has a lot on his plate, converting from quarterback to wide receiver while also fielding punts for the first time. Tyrell Sutton is currently penciled in on kickoffs, though that could change before the start of the season. Brian Witherspoon appears to be on the outside looking in.

Source: Gaston Gazette

#2 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Sort of strange that Witherspoon's already "on the outside looking in." I wonder why they say that? Or are they just guessing, just like they're guessing Jarrett will be cut?

I'm holding my breath on Edwards as a returner. I know he's a very gifted athlete, but he just doesn't have much experience doing it. Also, I've held out hope for other great athletes to come in and be effective returners, and it never seems to happen.

I certainly hope he can be a difference maker returning, but I am not expecting it. Instead, I think he'll spend most of this year off the field learning the wide receiver position. We may use him a play or two here or there, but I don't think we'll see a whole lot of him.

I will more than happily eat my words if he comes in and can compete for a spot returning or receiving.

#3 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

I think he'll do fine on punt returns. Moore and Munnerlynn are risks to muff it every time. I doubt Edwards will be.

I don't know how much Edwards is going to be able to do receiving the ball, but he should be able to contribute at least giving us a respectable 3 WR set.

#4 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,687 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

I just hope he learns how to go down. It dose not take long to get an injury with people fly at you full speed.

#5 prowler2k8

prowler2k8

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

I think he'll do fine on punt returns. Moore and Munnerlynn are risks to muff it every time. I doubt Edwards will be.

I don't know how much Edwards is going to be able to do receiving the ball, but he should be able to contribute at least giving us a respectable 3 WR set.

I remember reading that R.J Stanford has legit 4.3 speed and has experience on kickoffs and/or punts, so he may be an option as well. With a crowded defensive secondary, his only shot to make the roster will be on ST.

I'm not yet sold on Armanti Edwards. He'll have a lot on his plate, as stated earlier, learning a new position. With him not having the experience in the return game, this leaves me a little concerned. JMO

#6 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

I just hope he learns how to go down.

That's what she said.

#7 Retemnav

Retemnav

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

At least, if called upon, Edwards would probably be able to complete a cross-field lateral during a punt...

#8 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,944 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

I still think return men are born and not made. After maybe 5 return attempts we should know if Edwards has it in him. Captain....he just makes you too nervous trying to figure out what he is going to do.

#9 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 47,303 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

I know there is a parody thread in this....I just wish I could think it through...

#10 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Makes sense, it takes some time for a guy who has played WR in college to get adjusted to the NFL, PR/KR is where is can contribute right away.

#11 The Don

The Don

Smoke weed!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

whatever, Edwards is gonna be a beast anytime he touches the field. i predict rookie of the year... hell, it's about time Carolina got a star rookie.

#12 C-A-T-S

C-A-T-S

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

Smart because once they see his elusiveness in the open field on punt returns they will be thinking they have to find more ways to get him the football!

#13 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

I still think return men are born and not made. After maybe 5 return attempts we should know if Edwards has it in him. Captain....he just makes you too nervous trying to figure out what he is going to do.

this.
Hopefully, he can do it

#14 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

Sort of strange that Witherspoon's already "on the outside looking in." I wonder why they say that? Or are they just guessing, just like they're guessing Jarrett will be cut?

I'm holding my breath on Edwards as a returner. I know he's a very gifted athlete, but he just doesn't have much experience doing it. Also, I've held out hope for other great athletes to come in and be effective returners, and it never seems to happen.

I certainly hope he can be a difference maker returning, but I am not expecting it. Instead, I think he'll spend most of this year off the field learning the wide receiver position. We may use him a play or two here or there, but I don't think we'll see a whole lot of him.

I will more than happily eat my words if he comes in and can compete for a spot returning or receiving.

This x1,000

#15 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,593 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

I still think Witherspoon is really the returner we've all been waiting for. Small, fast, elusive, and also has the experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com