• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 DickolausJ

DickolausJ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

Punt returner/KR is all about wanting it. Make your cut and go full speed. Mark Jones wasn't even that fast, he just went for it.

I think Gettis will make a good kick returner. Armanti could be a good punt returner he just has to go for it. Witherspoon is not going to be easy to beat out though.

Regardless Armanti will make an impact his rookie year. He is just to talented not to.

#17 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

As the resident Jaguar fan of this forum I must point out that he did nothing but show potential in Jacksonville. He never lived up to that potential though. That is why he was an easy let go this off season. He has legit burner speed but his field vision is very poor.

His career with us, while short, was loaded with disappointment.

106 Returns
0 Touchdowns
6 Fumbles

Nothing really special about it. Give Edwards most of the opportunity to win this gig.

#18 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

That's what she said.

It's an art, no?

#19 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

I still think Witherspoon is really the returner we've all been waiting for. Small, fast, elusive, and also has the experience.

he doesn't really bring anything else to the table though. He's not as good a corner as Munnerlynn, isn't as good on ST coverage as Hudson, or as good a receiver as Moore/Edwards.

#20 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

he doesn't really bring anything else to the table though. He's not as good a corner as Munnerlynn, isn't as good on ST coverage as Hudson, or as good a receiver as Moore/Edwards.

Remember Mark Jones?

#21 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

he could be a Chris Johnson level shock IMO. He is a tick or two slower of course but has the winning attitude and leadership edge over Chris. Both were offensive studs at 2nd tier schools.
I expect very big things and believe this will prove to be one of the best picks in Panther history.

no homo
no mountaineer

#22 AnalyzeThIs#28

AnalyzeThIs#28

Beware of Smash&Dash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

He has a certain swagger on the field, let's hope that transfers to the NFL playing field well. And let's hope he can take them hard hits and get back up within the return game.

#23 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

he could be a Chris Johnson level shock IMO. He is a tick or two slower of course but has the winning attitude and leadership edge over Chris. Both were offensive studs at 2nd tier schools.
I expect very big things and believe this will prove to be one of the best picks in Panther history.

no homo
no mountaineer

he's about 30 or 40 ticks slower than chris johnson.

#24 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

he's about 30 or 40 ticks slower than chris johnson.

valid as you are counting the hundredths of a second and I was not actually trying to be surgically precise with my statement but I thought it was actually closer to 20 clicks with pads ..possibly because RB gear is a bit heavier

#25 KatsAzz

KatsAzz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

I'm really excited about WR/KR Armanti Edwards. He is similiar to Steve Smith and I think he will be his ultimate successor.No one has ever seen Edwards play in the NFL yet but he is is a hardworker and it might be fair to say that he could be starting as well ,with Brandon LaFell,if Dwayne Jarrett doesn't step up.
I have read a few blogs and posts by people that were at the Panthers' minicamp last week. One guy in particular, that works for ESPN, Pat Yasinikas says that Armanti Edwards is in fact Electrifying and he couldn't recall him dropping one pass the entire minicamp and that he may be the WR that Steve Smith needed.

Armanti was a beast at Appalachain State and if you don't beleive me just watch some video highlights of him on youtube. The guy is incredible, he completely dismantled teams at times with his feet and his arm, however; as a NFL WR /KR, it will be a little different than being a college QB.

#26 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

I'm not sure if it's fair to compare him to Steve Smith. They are similar but Smith is/was an absolute burner. Not saying Edwards can't be that but I'm not sure he's as fast as Smitty. They'll be similar WR's but it's hard to say that he or any WR we draft will ever be as dominate as Smith.

However since Edwards will primarily be a WR I'm sure he's working to get faster and work on his routes.

#27 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,106 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

no homo
no mountaineer

Yeah I remember Chris Johnson helping ECU beat that 2nd tier school UNC 34-31 in football in 2007.

#28 CarolinaKat

CarolinaKat

Football Jesus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

He has an awesome name, crazy hair style, award winning skills on the field. And I'm still not sure he's ready for prime time. I wish he would be the Panthers "Neon Deion" Sanders on offense

#29 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

Remember Mark Jones?

ah that is a good point.

#30 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

ah that is a good point.

I can see it both ways, to be honest.

Often Fox has indeed given roster spots to those who can play multiple positions. But I think if Armanti or anyone else really steps up as a gamechanger in the return game, he won't have a problem using them exclusively in that role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.