Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodeo

Prop 8 unconstitutional, overturned

242 posts in this topic

do they make meatloaf tacos?

i'm torn. meatloaf sandwich or Taco Bell. I'm trying hard to think outside the bun

Good lord there is no choice there. Meatloaf Sammich >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>taco bell

do they make meatloaf tacos?

they do at moosehead. its awesome

Good lord there is no choice there. Meatloaf Sammich >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>taco bell

I know I know. I didn't bring my card today tho.

To say that being gay is genetic is really taking the easy way out, because it's really a lot more difficult to work out than that. As has been pointed out many times before, you can't point to a spot on the genome and say, "Yep, there it is, the gay gene, no not that one, the one over there with the feather boa. Yeah, that one, see?"

And it sure isn't about choosing to be or not be gay. Really, really, it's not a choice. Some people choose not to act on their gay impulses, but they are still gay, they are just repressing part of their being. You also can't convert someone into being gay or straight and pharmacology can't turn the "gayness" off in someone without completely subverting their sexuality, personality and individuality.

Is it a wiring issue? Nope, it's not an insanity or an imbalance. It just is something that isn't passed down, learned, acquired, caught or created. The closest thing to it is what is behind a person being left-handed or right-handed. It's not genetic and it isn't learned. While a person can be switched from being left-handed as a toddler and from there on use their right hand for writing, they still exhibit left hand dominance in many tasks.

Why someone is gay is really pretty darned complicated. I've asked my gay family members and friends how they knew they were gay, why they were gay and when did they know? And their answers, while similar in some regards, are very individualistic. A couple claim they were from birth and knew it from the time they first developed an idea of self. Others, the vast majority, had some kind of incident (a mighty strong word for it, but the only one I can think appropriate at the moment) that caused them to realize that they were gay. Note that it's "realized" not "turned."

Others had lived straight lives throughout puberty and into early adulthood, but always felt awkward about it, as if they always had their shoes on the wrong feet. Eventually they came to the realization they were gay, many times by meeting others who were and feeling, finally, at home.

Very well said.

Tough to nail down human behavior, even tougher when you mix in something as nebulous as "sexuality". Always gets everybody's dander up, even those of us that try to think analytically or scientifically.

Many in the medical community thought hormonal influence in utero would be the holy grail. Not so much.

My best guess is multifactorial, which puts it in that witchdoctory realm of other hot potatoes.

Bottom line, and my opinion...if you like to think of yourself as one of those tea party new style Republicans that are all about big brother leaving you the hell alone.....now think for a minute.....how SHOULD you view this issue?

Yeah. Stop being afraid. Nobody is going to give you the ghey.

OK...40yo mother wants to marry her 20yo son. They are both consenting adults.

Cool with that too?

the slippery slope IS the logical outcome if you cannot find a "constitutional" basis to outlaw it....you know...like this judge just did.

The slippery slope of allowing people to drink beer is that there will be some drunk drivers, lets get rid of beer

The slippery slope of allowing people to have sex outside of marriage is that there will be kids born out of wedlock, lets ban premarital sex

The slippery slope of allowing kids to play video games is that some of them will want to do that instead of studying, lets ban video games

This is way fun

the most important thing in the discussion of causes of gayness is... why does it matter?

the most important thing in the discussion of causes of gayness is... why does it matter?

It doesn't.

But I like to understand things, esp. stuff that, in some peoples minds, is important or controversial.

A few years ago the "compelling" argument was "Gay marriage will lessen the signifigance of my own marriage".

There's been hundreds of gay marriages performed since then, and when I dared ask the question to people about how less significant or important their marriage became since then, no one answered of course.

So, is your marriage 10 percent less special now than it was before gays married? 5 percent? 25 percent?