180 replies to this topic

#151 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

The only way USC winning the title could be better, is USC winning the title on NCAA sanctions against an undefeated SEC team....

#152 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

The only team that I feel can make it outside of an SEC team is Oklahoma. In that case, you will beat the piss out of them like the good old days.

It may be more likely that it's a one-loss SEC team, but an SEC team for sure.

#153 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

You have to look at Driskel's running plays vs. his passing plays. He threw from the pocket or in roll-out situations far more than he ran on any designed runs. I do acknowledge that he can make things happen when the pocket breaks down.

We didn't have many, if any, designed QB runs under Weiss. But his attributes point to doing well in an option offense. He is much more suited for the spread option than Brissett, that's the last thing I'll say on that matter.

Brisset is definitely a dual-threat QB. Brisset is to UF what Cam Newton is to Carolina. A QB that has a nose for the first down marker, but isn't exceptionally fast. Watching Driskel run is a little different. He is more athletic, but he doesn't seem to be able to read defenders when running. That's why I think he is a pocket QB if he wants to succeed.

Driskel doesn't seem to be able to read defenders while running? Did you just make that up to take away from Driskel's running ability. I have no idea where that comes from. Dude ran for 1,300 + yards his senior year. He takes off knowing he can turn to his running ability. It's his security blanket. Brisset is nothing like Cam, he can't create separation on his runs like Cam does. He's not that fast. He is the one that likes to stay in the pocket. He has been noted for his calm and collective manner in the pocket as he doesn't get flustered. Much better pocket presence than Driskel has shown. Driskel would rather run than stay in the pocket. Brissett scrambles to pass, Driskel scrambles to run.

Here is article about it: http://www.al.com/sp...brissett_c.html

They have very different styles.
Former coach Urban Meyer recruited Driskel to play the spread option, and he reminded the staff and fans a little bit of former Heisman Trophy winner The Golden Calf of Bristol.
Brissett, meanwhile, signed with Florida because of former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, who runs a pro-style system. Brissett is more of a pocket passer, and the speedier Driskel is more likely to tuck it and run.
"I'd rather stay in the pocket and throw the ball and let somebody else get hit," Brissett said.

I hope that I am wrong about Muschamp and I hope he can show improvement this year. I think it's pretty clear that Jeremy Foley wants to see significant improvement this year. Muschamp's seat is very warm. I think we all remember Urban Meyer's 9-3 and 13-1 records in his first two seasons at UF.

Although Zook wasn't the best of coaches he was a great recruiter. He left UF in a much better state than Urban left UF.

#154 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Driskel ran for a lot of yards because he was a 6'3 230lb QB. Even in high school, the first guy that touched him almost always brought him down. He doesn't see the field like a runner, because he is not one. That was one of his weaknesses out of high school when it came to playing in the spread. That's why people gave Urban grief for trying to sign John Brantley 2.0. He even said in recruiting interviews that he is more comfortable staying in the pocket and likes to run as a last resort.

Brisset was definitely more of a running QB than Driskel in high school. I even got to see 2 games at W.T. Dwyer while there was a UF scout there. It does appear from what you linked that Brissett wanted to become a more pro-style QB, but that is certainly not what he was in high school.

It's hard to judge either player based on last year, because the pocket broke down so often for both of them. Receivers couldn't get open. It was just a bad situation for them both to be in. I certainly see Brissett being the starter when Bowling Green comes into town. He appears to have a much better attitude and appears to be more of a leader. If he can work on the consistency of his throwing motion, he can be pretty good. He has a big body and can make plays with his feet.

#155 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Also, if Brisset does start at least we can be assured he will take shots down field. He has a big arm and uses it (for better or worse).

#156 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

I just can't agree with that and don't see what you are seeing. Brissett didn't run for nearly as many yards as Driskel. Driskel is most certainly a mobile QB and uses that to his advantage. If he ran for so many yards being 6'3" 230 you would have to assume he has to be pretty quick and sees the field well. Watch his HS highlights he was out-maneuvering people way more than running people over.

I haven't seen this critiques of Urban recruiting Driskel and being another Brantley.

I do agree on Brissett's arm. But I also like him because he fits our system better.

#157 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

It will be interesting to see the vertical passing game. Brisset is a big guy, but his mechanics have a tendency to break down at times. I know they have been working this spring on keeping his elbow up even when things get hectic. I hope he can keep that up. It's tough to alter throwing motions.

#158 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

I think throwing motions are overrated. There are plenty of QBs in the NFL with quirky deliveries. If it works and it poses no long term problems than I wouldn't tinker with it too much. I guess consistency of his throwing motion will be the key with Jacoby.

#159 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I think throwing motion is overrated in college as long as it is consistent. Like you said, he needs his mechanics to be consistent. They tend to break down a bit, so they have been working on it.

#160 Wesmesss

Wesmesss

Panthers/ECU/Bobcats

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

ECU Pirates

App St: W
@USC (Gamecocks): L
@Southern Miss: L
@UNC: W
UTEP: W
@UCF: L
Memphis: W
@UAB: W
Navy: W
Houston: L
@Tulane: W
Marshall: W

8-4

I feel I'm being pretty optimistic here but I'm really not sure what to expect from this years squad. We're replacing our whole offense pretty much but because of the system Lincoln Riley runs I think we'll reload just fine. The improvement will be on the defensive side of the ball where, for the first time since Ruffin McNeil has been there, will be a strong unit.

I predicted a win @UNC because UNC will be rebuilding under a new coach. We have played there a few times in the last few years and I think our players and team will finally be ready to walk away with a win. There is actually a lot of coaching turnover in C-USA which could also bring different results. Its still May, so these are just my whimsical predictions. Either way, GO PIRATES!

#161 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

WVU

Marshall W
James Madison W
Maryland W
Baylor W
Texas W
Texas Tech W
Kansas St W
TCU W
Oklahoma St W
Oklahoma W
Iowa St W
Kansas W

Well thats what the home in me wants to say. but playing OSU and then OU right behind them is going to be to much so I see them losing to OU and maybe TCU,

#162 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

I got the Buckeyes only losing one this year, to Meat-chicken

#163 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

The U, 8-4

#164 CarolinaPride5

CarolinaPride5

Legendary.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Utah State

8-4

#165 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

App State

at ECU-L

Montana-W fug the Grizzlies but this could be a toss up. See McNeese State game 2009

Citadel-W

at Chattanooga-W

Coastal Carolina-W

Elon-W

at Samford-W

Wofford- ? (I don't trust our line this year and App is getting into the tough conference games)

at Western Carolina-W lol

at Georgia Southern-L

Furman-W (it's black saturday bitches)

I see an 7-4 to 8-3 type year this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.