• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 BrooklynMan

BrooklynMan

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:38 AM

Has anyone noticed his slow throwing motion? I'm not talking about his release (which is quite fast). He kind of turns his shoulders and shows the CB's where he's going to throw the ball half a second before he throw's it. That INT he threw tonight might have been because they Jet's safety read his shoulders and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks this is going to be a problem down the road?

#2 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

Clausen puts an unusual amount of torque on his body when he throws. I think he's pretty good at looking off the safety, but only time will tell if he is tipping off his throws.

#3 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

The interceptions happened because he just stared down his one WR making it easy for a pass to be picked. You have to wonder though after last week when he was looking off defenders did he just regress or did we gameplan poorly and tell him to not think too much, just pick a guy and go with it?

#4 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

I'm not worried about his throwing motion at all. Clausen is going to be a good one, folks. I'm particularly impressed by how quick his feet are and how he slides in the pocket while keeping his eyes down field. He has good feet, good arm strength, and he seems to have a pretty good command of the offense.

That INT was typical for a rookie QB playing in his first preseason, so there is no need to get too excited about that. He just needs time and lots of reps, and he should be fine. I wouldn't trade him straight up for Sam Bradford, based on what I've seen so far, and he is most definitely better than Colt McCoy.

#5 Jpjr

Jpjr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

The interceptions happened because he just stared down his one WR making it easy for a pass to be picked. You have to wonder though after last week when he was looking off defenders did he just regress or did we gameplan poorly and tell him to not think too much, just pick a guy and go with it?

I wouldn't read too much into this pick. It was a stupid throw, but the product of him having MUCH LESS time to work in the pocket than last week. I could tell he was spooked towards the end because he was getting hurried or sacked every other play. The Jets were blitzing like mad because it was obvious that the OL could not pick it up. They sacked Clausen rushing only 3 guys towards the end even when they weren't blitzing. I think because of where the game had regressed to, he regressed and got the ball out of there too fast without seeing that safety anticipating the slant.

All this said, it was a bonehead throw that should not have been made.

#6 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

Clausen has had a private QB coach since he was 10 - his throwing motion is fine. He stared down that receiver and the corner made a nice play. Dan Marino would have been picked off in that situation if he stared a wideout down like that. Just a rookie mistake.

#7 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

He's the best rookie QB I've seen in a Panthers uniform. That includes Kerry Collins, who I liked a lot.

Clausen was throwing hard with a lot of zip on the ball, once it's out it's there fast!

#8 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

I give Clausen a pass on the INT for staring down the DB and having him run out of bounds.

That dude is going to catch some hell in the film room.

#9 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

He's the best rookie QB I've seen in a Panthers uniform. That includes Kerry Collins, who I liked a lot.

Clausen was throwing hard with a lot of zip on the ball, once it's out it's there fast!

I think he's throwing it a little too hard. I mean wow. I don't think we have many recievers that can catch these bullets. Jarrett and Smith are about the only guys who I think could do it.

#10 Future Of The Franchise

Future Of The Franchise

The Ambassador of Booty

• HUDDLER
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

The sky is falling, THE GAUD DAMN MUTHAFUGIN' SKY IS FALLING BIOTCHES!!!

#11 TheSaint

TheSaint

Lengthy Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

I was gonna point this out. He never ever looked off. Not once that I saw. Correct me if im wrong. Also seems like he threw to the Panthers side of the field almost every play. Even when they switch sides in the 4th. Weird, but probably just a coincidence.

I did leave midway thru the 4th.

#12 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

I think it's funny. We're all wanting a GOOD QB so badly, that we're finding imaginary flaws.

He stared down his WR (as many of have said). As far as him throwing too hard, that's possible. But I think once he learns his receivers a little more, he'll figure out how much zip he can put on the ball. As of now, its POSSIBLE by the end of his career, we're talking Clausen being the best QB's to ever play in Carolina, and possibly one of the best Panthers of all time. With that being said, he could also be average. But I will take average over 11 weeks of interceptions and banging my head on a wall.

#13 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Both quarterbacks stared down receivers before throwing the ball.

#14 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Both quarterbacks stared down receivers before throwing the ball.

Yup. /thread.

#15 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

It was a quick out to the receiver. He made the mistake of not looking off his target at all - but you see that type of throw all the time in this league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.