134 replies to this topic

#1 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

Many fellow conservatives say they understand the property rights and 1st Amendment issues and don’t want a legal ban on building the mosque. They just want everybody to be “sensitive” and force, through public pressure, cancellation of the mosque construction.

This sentiment seems to confirm that Islam itself is to be made the issue, and radical religious Islamic views were the only reasons for 9/11. If it became known that 9/11 resulted in part from a desire to retaliate against what many Muslims saw as American aggression and occupation, the need to demonize Islam would be difficult if not impossible. [...]

It is repeatedly said that 64% of the people, after listening to the political demagogues, don’t want the mosque to be built. What would we do if 75% of the people insist that no more Catholic churches be built in New York City? The point being is that majorities can become oppressors of minority rights as well as individual dictators. Statistics of support is irrelevant when it comes to the purpose of government in a free society—protecting liberty. [...]

This is all about hate and Islamaphobia.

http://www.ronpaul.c...the-nyc-mosque/

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,558 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

The word of Paul.

*Praise be to Ron*

#3 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

Suck on that, Chucktown.

#4 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Suck on that, Chucktown.

/thread

#5 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

I'm in Chucktown's corner, but that is kinda catchy.

#6 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,439 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Yes, I understand they have every right to build it, that it's a basic violation of the civil rights guaranteed by the US Constitution to deny them build, and that the only real opposition is based off of reasonless hatred of all things Islam, but can't they just compromise and just do what we tell them to do?

Why do people not get that?

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Remember, Chucktown dropped off the Libertarian train (even though he was just riding the caboose I guess) a while ago when he figured stuff like this out.

Meat just does not care about the Constitution as compared to temporary, artificially constructed right wing outrage.

#8 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

Well, now that Ronnie P has seen fit to grace us with his opinion, I still don't care about it.

#9 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

I hear some branch davidians are wanting to build a skyscraper near Bricktown overlooking the memorial there in OKC...everyone's cool with that right?

btw...as I've always said...they are completely within their right...and people that are actively persuing methods to shut the build down are nuts.

Now...if you want to investigate the waiter that's suddenly a millionaire to build the thing...now THAT's an avenue I'd like to see persued and looked into.

#10 jimbo baggins

jimbo baggins

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Location, location, location

Posted Image

#11 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Remember, Chucktown dropped off the Libertarian train (even though he was just riding the caboose I guess) a while ago when he figured stuff like this out.

Meat just does not care about the Constitution as compared to temporary, artificially constructed right wing outrage.

So you guys think the outrage is based on hate that has nothing to do with the sense of loss that day? You have completely detached yourself from the attacks? Yes, it was Muslim EXTREMISTS. But put yourself in the shoes of the people who lost loved ones that day. It was such a senseless fugging attack. Those people weren't soldiers. They were bankers, brokers, and people flying to see loved ones. Muslims funded the attacks. They celebrated in the streets afterward. No one can forget those images. I can see why it would be hard for the families of victims to forgive and forget.

If that was your mom who died on the plane, or your son who jumped from the burning towers, or your dad who went up to save people, what would you think if all you were asking was for them to simply build it away from where your loved one died that day and people like you told them to get over it because it's unAmerican? You'd probably tell someone like you to go to hell, wouldn't you?

That's all this is about, the right of these people to complain. If the imam doesn't change his mind, they're going to build the mosque there. And who knows? Maybe two years from now it will be a non story and it will be a sign of healing. But let these people, and all people who still smart from that day, voice their displeasure.

It's Freedom of Religion (left) vs. Freedom of Speech (right). I still have yet to see anyone say they don't have the legal right to build there. Not one person.

#12 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,076 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

With the number of nuts out there today, I would give the mosque 12 months before someone tries to burn it down or blow it up.

#13 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

They don't have the legal right to build there.

There you go.

#14 jimbo baggins

jimbo baggins

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

suddenly the pubs are the party of bleeding hearts

#15 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

So what is the minimum safe distance for hurt feelings?

6 blocks?
8?

It is near ground zero, not on it.
If hallowed ground it was to be, the necessary zoning should have been taken care of LONG ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.