#1 ncguy2184

ncguy2184

Mmmm BoJangles......

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach S.C

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt indicated on Twitter Friday that the Panthers may let DeAngelo Williams walk in 2011 free agency.

It's hard to fathom at first glance, but the Panthers are well stocked in the backfield (Jonathan Stewart, Tyrell Sutton, Mike Goodson) and have quite a few impending free agents whose extensions may take precedence. If D-Willy made it to free agency, he could theoretically become the highest paid running back in football. He's probably hoping for the opportunity.

rotoworld

#2 DudeNamedJeremy

DudeNamedJeremy

That's what she said.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

k i wont

#3 Baschski

Baschski

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

I'd cry.

But for real, Sutton and Goodson are good but if Williams leaves and Stewart gets hurt I'm not sure those guys can handle the load. With as much as we run the football, and the fact that Smith only has a few good years left, we're going to need more than one feature back. We have the cap space. Sign the f'ing guy.

#4 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

if it aint broke...

#5 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

Tickle Me & Rub My Belly!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

"if it aint broke...break it"- Panthers Front office

Fixed

Edited by The_Cannon, 10 September 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#6 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,469 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

i think we have around 6 months before we should even be thinking about this.

#7 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,536 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

First of all link, secondly why the hell would the Panthers be "saving" up all this money to resign our core players when we are going to let our most explosive play maker just walk once he needs a big contract. At this point speculating this is pointless and quite frankly I'm pretty sick of stupid conspiracy theories.

#8 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

it's never too early to cry doom

#9 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,536 posts

Just because we haven't signed big name free agents this offseason doesn't mean we are never going to spend money. You guys are idiots

#10 ncguy2184

ncguy2184

Mmmm BoJangles......

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach S.C

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

First of all link, secondly why the hell would the Panthers be "saving" up all this money to resign our core players when we are going to let our most explosive play maker just walk once he needs a big contract. At this point speculating this is pointless and quite frankly I'm pretty sick of stupid conspiracy theories.

Are you to lazy to go to www.rotoworld.com?

#11 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

I think we need to keep him. I think he'll also be pretty reasonable. I know you never really know, but he seems like a classy guy. If he wasn't, he would have demanded a new contract back in his breakout year or he wouldn't play like so many have already. If he was smart, and I think he is, he'd take maybe a smaller contract to stay with the Panthers and play with Stewart, which will probably extend their careers by a few years or more by sharing the load.

While it wouldn't make sense for some teams, for the Panthers it makes perfect sense to pay DWill. I know we have Sutton and Goodson, but what have they proved.

We'll probably have the money to resign DWill, Beason, and Kalil I'm sure.

#12 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

It depends purely on Mike Goodson. If he looks special I'd consider it, but only because we have other guys we need to resign.

Edited by OneBadassCat, 10 September 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#13 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

He mentioned the whole giving running backs a 2nd contract is risky thing, but that's not the case with DeAngelo.. People always think of 30 to be the time running backs start dropping off, but really it's the amount of carries. Here are some examples:

LaDanian Tomlinson - 2026 carries
Clinton Portis - 2026 carries
Edgirrin James - 2188 carries
Shaun Alexander - 1717 carries

^^those are the amount of carries that each running back had before their stats really started dropping off. DeAngelo Williams has a whopping 754 carries in 4 seasons. To put that number in perspective, Chris Johnson has 609 carries after just 2 seasons. As long as Carolina uses a 2-back system, it's HIGHLY unlikely that DeAngelo will get more than 300 carries in a season.

I'll be pretty pissed if they let him walk.

#14 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

He mentioned the whole giving running backs a 2nd contract is risky thing, but that's not the case with DeAngelo.. People always think of 30 to be the time running backs start dropping off, but really it's the amount of carries. Here are some examples:

LaDanian Tomlinson - 2026 carries
Clinton Portis - 2026 carries
Edgirrin James - 2188 carries
Shaun Alexander - 1717 carries

^^those are the amount of carries that each running back had before their stats really started dropping off. DeAngelo Williams has a whopping 754 carries in 4 seasons. To put that number in perspective, Chris Johnson has 609 carries after just 2 seasons. As long as Carolina uses a 2-back system, it's HIGHLY unlikely that DeAngelo will get more than 300 carries in a season.

I'll be pretty pissed if they let him walk.

Exactly, our situation is different. We've used DWill and Stewart in such a way that they are fresh, all season, and share the carries. Dwill DID run a ton in college, so you have to factor that in I guess.

#15 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

One reason Williams fell all the way to us was because of the college carries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com