Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New First Round Mock Draft 10/14

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Some things to think about....

If we end up with a top 3 pick, is it really out of the realm of possibility we draft a QB? If we have a new coach/staff in here, they may want their own guy.

Also, I think drafting a top WR is a good move. This team does NOT develop WR's. Maybe if we get a new staff in here, they will, but drafting that high increases the likelihood that that player will be decent. Not sure we need projects like Lefell or Edwards, or Jarrett, etc.

What I would love, is for Clowny/Gettis/Thomas to step up the second half of the season and prove something. If this happens, and we still have a high round pick, we could trade down and get more picks and still get who we need in the 1st (a DT, seriously).

Posted

Some things to think about....

If we end up with a top 3 pick, is it really out of the realm of possibility we draft a QB? If we have a new coach/staff in here, they may want their own guy.

Also, I think drafting a top WR is a good move. This team does NOT develop WR's. Maybe if we get a new staff in here, they will, but drafting that high increases the likelihood that that player will be decent. Not sure we need projects like Lefell or Edwards, or Jarrett, etc.

What I would love, is for Clowny/Gettis/Thomas to step up the second half of the season and prove something. If this happens, and we still have a high round pick, we could trade down and get more picks and still get who we need in the 1st (a DT, seriously).

A new coach is much more likely to bring in a veteran QB that understands the offense he wants to run.

If we're bad at developing WR's (which I'm not sure about yet since we have a new receivers coach for the first time since the beginning of the franchise that helped develop Anquan Boldin) then why would we want to draft another one? Why not use the large amount of cap space we'll have next year (or whenever there is football again) to bring in a veteran WR? Drafting a WR high does not necessarily guarantee a better chance of success, it's very difficult to project how a WR will translate to the NFL.

I do like the idea of trading down from a high pick, but I think Robert Quinn is the real deal and might be too good to pass up, even after sitting for a year and we desperatley need a dynamic pass rusher to replace Peppers.

Posted

We've got to bolster the defensive line. We'll probably end up with a top three pick. I think the best option would be DT Marcell Dareus from Alabama, no doubt. We have a void in the middle that he can fill, pressure the QB and stuff the run. Wideouts take too long to develop. We should concentrate on developing the ones we have and pick up a solid vet, period. Address depth on both lines. Now, the QB situation..... hopefully that sorts its self out by the end of the season.

Posted

Dareus from Bama is more of a DT.

That is who I believe we would draft.

I would rather trade down, which is going to be valuable because their will be a rookie pay scale before these guys are signed. Both players and Owners want a rookie scale, so this is def going to happen.

Does this guy look like a DE, to you?

610x.jpg

6' 3" 310

I'm all for Dareus, but I have seen some refer to him as an end in a 3-4. Guys like Ngata and Marcus Spears are of similar build and play that role in a 34 and if he is better suited for that, then I'd be apprehensive. To me, he looks like an athletic big interior force so as long as he can come in the way Suh and McCoy were last year with that kind of future impact, then he should be our guy. As for the Prince v. Peterson, I think Peterson is as dynamic of a DB that I've seen in quite some time. Prince is a good 1A, but Peterson reminds me of a hybrid Darelle Revis/LaRon Landry athlete. In an ideal world, 2 of our 3 WR's step up (Thomas and Gettis) to balance out Smitty and we draft Dareus. We bring in a coaching staff that can improve our offense and utilize our TE's and roll with Smitty/Thomas/Gettis/Rosario and have our "Suh/McCoy" beast with Dareus in the middle to open up Johnson, Brown, Hardy, Beason and Connor to wreak havoc on D.

1 person likes this

Posted

DT is far and away our biggest need and has been since Jenkins left.

Posted

No way that the DEs go before Patrick Peterson. He will be the best player in the draft.

Posted

Dareus from Bama is more of a DT.

That is who I believe we would draft.

I would rather trade down, which is going to be valuable because their will be a rookie pay scale before these guys are signed. Both players and Owners want a rookie scale, so this is def going to happen.

Does this guy look like a DE, to you?

610x.jpg

6' 3" 310

Dareus is a defensive tackle in a 4-3 system. He'd play DT for the Panthers. However, he would be a DE in a 3-4 system. The thing that makes him so valuable is that he can play in both systems.

Posted

It's a HUGE risk to use the # 2 overall pick on a WR. Remember the trap Detroit fell into trying to fix their WR problems in the 1st round of the draft?

I'd guess we will take Robert Quinn, need a playmaker on the defensive line.

Has Everette Brown been that disappointing thus far to you guys?

Posted

As far as the concerns between Amukamara and Peterson... We, along with most sites, view them as 1a and 1b. I'm actually higher on Peterson, but the guy that does our cornerback rankings has Amukamara as 1a.

Posted

Dareus is a defensive tackle in a 4-3 system. He'd play DT for the Panthers. However, he would be a DE in a 3-4 system. The thing that makes him so valuable is that he can play in both systems.

Bama runs a 3-4 base. Dareus is one of the DEs.

Either way, he can play the interior in a 4-3, or an end in a 3-4.

He's pretty much unblockable, unless he's playing South Carolina. ;)

Posted

I have been getting a "2004 draft" vibe from this years prospects. Not sure why.

Posted

Has Everette Brown been that disappointing thus far to you guys?

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm okay with EB. I don't know if Catman is a UNC guy or not, but I don't see DE as being as big of a need, though I do agree that we need a dominant game changer on the DL. For what we gave up for Brown, combined with Hardy's potential and Johnson having just turned 24 and getting his first taste of starter minutes, I'm okay with holding off on DE for a season. DT, WR, OL are my opinions on where we need to go.