Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stopped by practice today...

78 posts in this topic

Posted

I was really focused in on him, so at the time I wasn't thinking about how he compared to the other receivers... but I noticed that he seem to run very clean routes, explode out of his breaks and make good aggressive catches (with his hands, snatches the ball out of the air).
so he looked equally good with whomever was throwing the ball, i guess?

Posted

Im so not a fan of switching QBs all season. I feel like we are getting into a Anderson and Quin type situation. You should stick with one guy win or lose.
agreed. i forget about that one. i remember well denny green going back and forth between warner and mccown. quite a few times he wouldn't announce who was starting until right before the game. that didn't really do anyone any good.

Posted

so he looked equally good with whomever was throwing the ball, i guess?

I'd say that's a fair statement since I wasn't really focused on who was throwing him the ball as much as I was focused on him.

I'm not taking sides here at all, but Moore looks good in practice - has from day 1 this year. That's not to say Clausen looks bad, but Moore is smooth, quick and the ball jumps out of his hand.

Posted

agreed. i forget about that one. i remember well denny green going back and forth between warner and mccown. quite a few times he wouldn't announce who was starting until right before the game. that didn't really do anyone any good.

Yeah, I agree as well... at a certain point you have to pick a guy and stick with him (especially when your dealing with a rookie) but since neither of these guys have performed particularly well this year and we have a bye, I can also understand why they are still giving both of them the opportunity to take the job at this point (although performance in practice has never been a problem for either one of these guys).

Posted

is the defense trying to duplicate what other defenses are doing in games? throwing 9-10 in the box?

Posted

is the defense trying to duplicate what other defenses are doing in games? throwing 9-10 in the box?

No, not that I noticed.

They were in shells today so there was nothing heavy going on, but most of what I saw I would characterize as us playing our style of defense. I would also say that I didn't see many running plays being executed (if any) it was 99% passing plays. It's funny what you recall when someone starts asking questions.

I think you raise an excellent point, maybe they did that on a day I wasn't there? If not, it would seem to make perfect sense to me. I'm not worried about taking reps away from our defense if it means our offense can get better at handling pressure.

Posted

Are they throwing cupcakes at Clausen? I hear he hates that.

Posted

No, not that I noticed.

They were in shells today so there was nothing heavy going on, but most of what I saw I would characterize as us playing our style of defense. I would also say that I didn't see many running plays being executed (if any) it was 99% passing plays. It's funny what you recall when someone starts asking questions.

I think you raise an excellent point, maybe they did that on a day I wasn't there? If not, it would seem to make perfect sense to me. I'm not worried about taking reps away from our defense if it means our offense can get better at handling pressure.

I doubt they have installed the gameplan for next Sunday nor is the scout team ready to go. I suspect they went with their regular playbook trying to get the two new guys up to speed. I figure they will come back and implement everything next week.

Posted

No, not that I noticed.

I doubt they have installed the gameplan for next Sunday nor is the scout team ready to go. I suspect they went with their regular playbook trying to get the two new guys up to speed. I figure they will come back and implement everything next week.

i can see wanting to get thomas up to speed on the offense, but when have we been able to implement our offense the way we would like? until they start replicating what they are actually facing in game time situations, it isn't going to be doing much good.

1 person likes this

Posted

i can see wanting to get thomas up to speed on the offense, but when have we been able to implement our offense the way we would like? until they start replicating what they are actually facing in game time situations, it isn't going to be doing much good.

Since this practice was largely passing and not running the 8 or 9 men in the box scenarios don't really factor that much. In fact it is harder to pass again a shell especially vertically then it is against a stacked box where there is single coverage.

As for blitz packages they won't work on those until next week. Truth is that most blitzes unless it is against a team like the Jets or Baltimore are situational. The best way to avoid them it avoid third and long.

Posted

"i can see wanting to get thomas up to speed on the offense, but when have we been able to implement our offense the way we would like? until they start replicating what they are actually facing in game time situations, it isn't going to be doing much good."

Bingo. I've always felt like the weakness of the Panther D are the same plays the Panther O rarely executes.

Ever notice how poorly Panther defenses over the years have played TEs who can catch? How many times have the Panthers been gashed by a TE who can catch? And just how often do the Panthers use their TEs in the passing game?

How about screen plays and counters? Matt Forte tore up the D in the first quarter simply cutting back against the flow. Throw in a couple screens- something else the Panthers rarely use- and the D looks pedestrian again.

The Panthers defense looks its worst when trying to stop plays that the Panther offense rarely uses.

Posted

I also practiced a little reverse psychology, I had Clausen sign a custom Madden 11 cover with his image in a Panthers uniform and I gave him an extra copy I brought (good incentive to get guys to sign and generally a decent thing to do).

I'm hoping this act of pure self-interest will also have the unintended side effect of applying a reverse Madden curse on him. With his struggles, perhaps being on the cover of Madden will actually help?

If this works, I'll post my paypal account so you can all send me embarassing sums of money as a tribute to my genius... If it turns out that it actually makes him worse, then it's Zod's fault.

1 person likes this