Photo
- - - - -

PETA wants NFL to test Vick's mental health

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,821 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

http://www.montrealg...3004/story.html

NEW YORK * An animal treatment watchdog group wants disgraced former National Football League star Michael Vick to undergo mental tests before he can be reinstated.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) sent a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday saying Vick should be checked to see if he is a psychopath before having any chance of a return to the NFL.

Vick is serving a prison sentence on conspiracy charges in connection with his financing of a dogfight gambling ring. Evidence in the case showed he killed dogs in such brutal manners as drowning, beating and electrocution.

"Saying sorry and getting his ball back after being caught enjoying killing dogs in hideously cruel ways for many years doesn't cut it," PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said.

"Commissioner Goodell knows that he has an obligation to the league and to millions of fans, including children... to make sure Michael Vick is mentally capable of remorse before he can touch, let alone wear, an NFL uniform again."

The move comes after PETA has negotiated with Vick's representatives for 18 months about an agreement for Vick to film an anti-dogfight advertisement after his release from prison.

But a PETA statement said Vick's attorneys sought an assurance that the group would support his return to the NFL.

Protesters have gathered outside court hearings and at NFL club offices to protest Vick's actions and an end to such incidents would help Vick's bid to secure a job with an NFL team when his sentence ends before the start of next season.

PETA has since decided to withdraw the TV advertisement offer and avoid taking a position upon Vick's NFL return pending results of a brain scan and psychiatric evaluation.

The group questions if Vick has anti-social personality disorder, a condition that might keep him from feeling remorse and impact future behavoir.

#2 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

I'd be more amused if they put him on Jeff Foxworthy's 5th Grader show.

#3 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:20 AM

As much as I despise of Michael Vick and the things that he did, I probably hate PETA even more.

He's done (or will have done) his time if he gets a chance to play again. PETA, just have faith in the judicial system and let the man live his life.

#4 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:07 AM

Why is Mike Vick and football still being brought up?

If any team would even THINK about signing this scum it would be a team that has even lower values than Vick himself :mad:

#5 Skew

Skew

GOLD PREMIUM MEMBER

• Moderators
  • 6,187 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

Good for PETA.

#6 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

As much as I despise of Michael Vick and the things that he did, I probably hate PETA even more.

He's done (or will have done) his time if he gets a chance to play again. PETA, just have faith in the judicial system and let the man live his life.

:iagree:

#7 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

:iagree:

It just won't be with the Falcons.

#8 MurkN

MurkN

Simple And Plain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

Why is Mike Vick and football still being brought up?

If any team would even THINK about signing this scum it would be a team that has even lower values than Vick himself :mad:

Well I guess we can already gift wrap him to the Cowboys.

#9 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

"Saying sorry and getting his ball back after being caught enjoying killing dogs in hideously cruel ways for many years doesn't cut it," PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said.

Doesn't cut it? Really? She speaks as if people give a fug about her opinion.

Took the words out of my mouth.

#10 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

PETA and Vick deserve each other.

#11 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

PETA needs to be tested for mental health.

#12 carolinapanther4life

carolinapanther4life

Oregon's Finest

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

PETA has no authority to make such demands.

#13 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

PETA would want me to give up my birds and let them fly free.

(they obviously have no clue just how spoiled these little buggers are)

Can't honestly blame them for balking at supporting his return. i think the idea of his doing a PSA for them is a lousy one, honestly.

Vick is going to have to face Roger Goodell, the man whose face he lied to repeatedly, in order to get back into the league. I don't buy for a moment that it's a lock he returns next year, and it could be even longer than that.

#14 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,821 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

PETA has no authority to make such demands.

That is true. If a mental evaluation was needed, it would have been ordered it at his sentencing. He is doing his time, making it up to society, if he can really ever do that. But this kind of request needed to be brought up in court.

#15 Camel

Camel

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com