Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PETA wants NFL to test Vick's mental health

39 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[url]http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/PETA+wants+test+Vick+mental+health/1203004/story.html[/url]

NEW YORK * An animal treatment watchdog group wants disgraced former National Football League star Michael Vick to undergo mental tests before he can be reinstated.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) sent a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday saying Vick should be checked to see if he is a psychopath before having any chance of a return to the NFL.

Vick is serving a prison sentence on conspiracy charges in connection with his financing of a dogfight gambling ring. Evidence in the case showed he killed dogs in such brutal manners as drowning, beating and electrocution.

"Saying sorry and getting his ball back after being caught enjoying killing dogs in hideously cruel ways for many years doesn't cut it," PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said.

"Commissioner Goodell knows that he has an obligation to the league and to millions of fans, including children... to make sure Michael Vick is mentally capable of remorse before he can touch, let alone wear, an NFL uniform again."

The move comes after PETA has negotiated with Vick's representatives for 18 months about an agreement for Vick to film an anti-dogfight advertisement after his release from prison.

But a PETA statement said Vick's attorneys sought an assurance that the group would support his return to the NFL.

Protesters have gathered outside court hearings and at NFL club offices to protest Vick's actions and an end to such incidents would help Vick's bid to secure a job with an NFL team when his sentence ends before the start of next season.

PETA has since decided to withdraw the TV advertisement offer and avoid taking a position upon Vick's NFL return pending results of a brain scan and psychiatric evaluation.

The group questions if Vick has anti-social personality disorder, a condition that might keep him from feeling remorse and impact future behavoir.

Posted · Report post

I'd be more amused if they put him on Jeff Foxworthy's 5th Grader show.

Posted · Report post

As much as I despise of Michael Vick and the things that he did, I probably hate PETA even more.

He's done (or will have done) his time if he gets a chance to play again. PETA, just have faith in the judicial system and let the man live his life.

Posted · Report post

Why is Mike Vick and football still being brought up?

If any team would even THINK about signing this scum it would be a team that has even lower values than Vick himself :mad:

Posted · Report post

Good for PETA.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Nicbsbll2']As much as I despise of Michael Vick and the things that he did, I probably hate PETA even more.

He's done (or will have done) his time if he gets a chance to play again. PETA, just have faith in the judicial system and let the man live his life.[/quote]

:iagree:

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Nicbsbll2']As much as I despise of Michael Vick and the things that he did, I probably hate PETA even more.

He's done (or will have done) his time if he gets a chance to play again. PETA, just have faith in the judicial system and let the man live his life.[/quote]

:iagree:

It just won't be with the Falcons.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kyle82']Why is Mike Vick and football still being brought up?

If any team would even THINK about signing this scum it would be a team that has even lower values than Vick himself :mad:[/quote]
Well I guess we can already gift wrap him to the Cowboys.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jangler']
"Saying sorry and getting his ball back after being caught enjoying killing dogs in hideously cruel ways for many years doesn't cut it," PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said.[/quote]

Doesn't cut it? Really? She speaks as if people give a fuck about her opinion.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Posted · Report post

PETA and Vick deserve each other.

Posted · Report post

PETA needs to be tested for mental health.

Posted · Report post

PETA would want me to give up my birds and let them fly free.

[I](they obviously have no clue just how spoiled these little buggers are)[/I]

Can't honestly blame them for balking at supporting his return. i think the idea of his doing a PSA for them is a lousy one, honestly.

Vick is going to have to face Roger Goodell, the man whose face he lied to repeatedly, in order to get back into the league. I don't buy for a moment that it's a lock he returns next year, and it could be even longer than that.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolinapanther4life']PETA has no authority to make such demands.[/quote]

That is true. If a mental evaluation was needed, it would have been ordered it at his sentencing. He is doing his time, making it up to society, if he can really ever do that. But this kind of request needed to be brought up in court.

Posted · Report post

PETA - [B][U]P[/U][/B]eople [B][U]E[/U][/B]at [B][U]T[/U][/B]asty [B][U]A[/U][/B]nimals

Posted · Report post

As much as I hate Vick this is absolutely insane, he doing his time and shouldn't be bothered after that. I also have nothing against him coming back into the league, everyone deserves at least a 2nd chance.

Posted · Report post

can we move on from michael vick the man has done his time...some people are just never going to let this go....the police bust dog fighting rings all the time and that shit barely makes the news and PETA dont fucking picket

Posted · Report post

the reason they want him tested before entering the nfl, is his psyche evaluations from prison suggest that he does have some sort of personality disorder. Since they were talking with vick about doing tv commercials and stuff they got their hands on the report, hence why peta withdrew the offer for the commercial. The report is from the USDA office and shows that he lied about being the ringleader (said he just funded it) and about attending and betting on the dogs.
I do however wonder if with the new evidence from the recently released report if Virgina stays on course and goes after him for the felony charges for just dog fighting. (it's a felony in Virgina with a sentence up from 5 - 20 years in jail.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jangler']That is true. If a mental evaluation was needed, it would have been ordered it at his sentencing. He is doing his time, making it up to society, if he can really ever do that. But this kind of request needed to be brought up in court.[/quote]

Your right The USDA should've brought this up in court but didn't since they were only going for conspiracy charges, The recent report from the USDA shows that he does actually fit the profile for someone with a Personality disorder.

Posted · Report post

PETA needs a mental health exam.

Posted · Report post

5-20 years for dog fighting is retarded.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Saint J']5-20 years for dog fighting is retarded.[/quote]

Yep. Should he be thrown to the dogs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Saint J']people who enjoy dog fighting are retarded.[/quote]
Fixed.

As to Vick, what you have to remember is that the dogfighting was at the heart of a [I]gambling[/I] operation. You can bet the NFL remembers that. You can also bet that Roger Goodell remembers Vick lying to his face.

His reinstatement is far from being a lock.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='countryboi']can we move on from michael vick the man has done his time...some people are just never going to let this go....the police bust dog fighting rings all the time and that sh*t barely makes the news and PETA dont f*cking picket[/quote]

We have to make sure a man like Vick never ever becomes a QB in this league again.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='countryboi']can we move on from michael vick the man has done his time...some people are just never going to let this go....the police bust dog fighting rings all the time and that sh*t barely makes the news and PETA dont f*cking picket[/quote]

actually they usually don't picket they use more visual and extreme methods for demonstrating, but yes they do. I went looking for the vick story from them and they had a story about a guy from I believe philly getting a dog of his back that he abused and they an email addy for some body in philly for you to email and complain about it. I guess trying to have the dog taken from his abusive owner.