Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama signs executive order to close Gitmo

92 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Huge step in America restoring its moral high ground in the world.

Awesome day

Posted · Report post

*golf clap*

Posted · Report post

Flash forward two years from now. One of the terrorists was identifed as XXX XXX XXXXXX, who was released from Guantanamo Bay in 2009...

Posted · Report post

hmm ... cautiously optimistic...

Posted · Report post

Flash forward two years from now. One of the terrorists was identifed as XXX XXX XXXXXX, who was released from Guantanamo Bay in 2009...

That is a hard name to pronounce

Posted · Report post

It's like MalcolmX times a gazillion!

Posted · Report post

I think the XXXX's covered up the name Timothy McVeigh

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure this is the right thing to do.

Pretty sure.

Just really hopeful it doesn't bite us in the ass somehow.

Posted · Report post

If Bush had actually come up with a workable plan to deal with these people that didn't violate our own standards of human rights and due process this would not be a concern.

Gitmo has been a real problem for us, and has probably done more good for recruitment and inspiration for our enemies than harm. There will be a plan to house the most dangerous people, but it is inevitable that there will be some pissed off guys going back somewhere. There will also be a lot of guys going back with the knowledge that there is a justice system that eventually works over here and that may in fact help us.

Posted · Report post

If Bush had actually come up with a workable plan to deal with these people that didn't violate our own standards of human rights and due process this would not be a concern.

Gitmo has been a real problem for us, and has probably done more good for recruitment and inspiration for our enemies than harm. There will be a plan to house the most dangerous people, but it is inevitable that there will be some pissed off guys going back somewhere. There will also be a lot of guys going back with the knowledge that there is a justice system that eventually works over here and that may in fact help us.

Agreed. I just keep thinking of that scene in Saving Private Ryan, where they let the German go because he's begging for his life and then later in the movie he comes back and kills a couple of them. I know it's just a movie, but putting one of the Gitmo guys back into the Middle East doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure this is the right thing to do.

Pretty sure.

Just really hopeful it doesn't bite us in the ass somehow.

Ditto

Posted · Report post

First off, I agree that Gitmo is not the right thing but I don't know the right thing to do in this situation either. As far as some released terrorist going to get all misty eyed because we have a justice system, please forget it. These guys are zealots and fanatics. They'll hate us and Israel until either they're all dead or we are. We can minimize some damage (closing/fixing Gitmo)to those muslim's that are on the fence and haven't made up their minds to make jihad on us.