Trasistioning to a 3-4 defense...
Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:34 PM
1. Thomas Davis doesn't fit a 3-4, but his contract is up at the end of this year. So it's not like their is a penalty for getting rid of him, his contract would be comparable to the contract for a top 3-4 backer. He wouldn't want to stay anyway.
2. Jon Beason doesn't really fit too well but I think he is good enough to be effective. It's not ideal but I think he can handle it.
3. We could get Dan Connor on the field more often.
4. We don't have anybody committed at DT most guy's this year have their contracts end in 2011. So you could add in some 3-4 guys easy.
5. Eric Norwood and Dan Connor fit better in a 3-4.
6. We have a ton of cap room to bring in whoever we want.
1. Dan Connor and Jon Beason probably couldn't be consistently effective blizters.
2. I don't see Everette Brown working out at OLB.
3. New system.
4. We'd be inefficiently using the talents of Beason, Davis, and Anderson.
So overall I'm not in favor of it. But I don't see it being a total trainwreck like my previous thoughts on it. It could be done and it work out well within a season or two.
Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:36 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:41 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:49 PM
Sorry we are going to the 3-3-5.
What about 3-3 with four db's and a "monster" (Start Beason, Davis, and Anderson. Bring in a ringer to rush from the outside like Hardy, Brown, etc.)
Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:51 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:30 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:35 PM
Saying it's not that "hard" makes you look stupid.
Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:08 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:11 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:17 PM
D-line needs a complete overhaul regardless, but Johnson and Hardy are going to be our best DE's next year (barring a FA signing) and neither of them would do well in a 3-4.
Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:19 PM
Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:40 PM