Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brokenbad

Russ Grimm on radar for Panthers

196 posts in this topic

The life has been sucked out of the Panthers once again,Russ Grimm as HC would assure that the final nail would be driven into the coffin. :(

I don't know where I stand with this one, because I do want a charasmatic, younger - Tomlin or John Harbaugh (or Jim :yesnod:) type of guy. I also want a coach who's offensive playcalling has more variety than a draw, power, toss, slant, go, and hook route that ours consists of.

I know Grimm is highly respected. I also know he played under Gibbs, and coached under Cowher, and quite possibly could bring a potent offense with him - as his time with both the Redskins and Steelers exhibited, a power run game can come with a great passing game as well.

I think because he was a "Hog" there is a stigma that he's just fat, boring, and unskilled - like Jeff Davidson.

Lets just look at the facts here.

The steelers with Grimm were a run first team that stuck to the run no matter what. They lived and died with it. The wheels on the bus go round and round.

The steelers without Grimm were more balanced and led to more points and less work from the great Dick Lebeau.

Oh did I mention that the Steelers had to rely on there Defense to win games when Grimm was there?

Another great fact is that Jim Skipper has a better resume then Grimm and has produced better numbers.

The life has been sucked out of the Panthers once again,Russ Grimm as HC would assure that the final nail would be driven into the coffin. :(

Why?

Grimm has had success everywhere he has gone. 3 superbowl rings as a player. Offensive line coach for the Steelers in 2005 when they won a Superbowl averaging 140 yards a game rushing. The Cardinals went to the Superbowl and their offensive line was one of the best in the league.

I certainly don't know if he is going to work out for us, but his resume is certainly more impressive than Harbaugh's.

Why?

Grimm has had success everywhere he has gone. 3 superbowl rings as a player. Offensive line coach for the Steelers in 2005 when they won a Superbowl averaging 140 yards a game rushing. The Cardinals went to the Superbowl and their offensive line was one of the best in the league.

I certainly don't know if he is going to work out for us, but his resume is certainly more impressive than Harbaugh's.

If he were a great candidate he would have been given a job by now. As of now he is not even been given a chance to be a OC. Not that its a must but if you hire a head coach you want him to bring something more then just the OL to the table. I mean Fox was a good DC before he was a head coach.

Oh and as said before Jim Skipper has just as good of a resume.

Why?

He's not "exciting" enough.

I like defensive guys, but Grimm is a hard nosed HOF'er that brings instant respect in the lockerroom.

He'll be tough, it'll be a physical team that plays from whistle to whistle.

I like him as a possibility and he's been on the HC radar for a couple years now.

instant respect in the lockerroom won't win you games and harbaugh would command just as much respect, even though he doesn't have a nice yellow jacket. i have seen nothing from him that shows he would be able to compete in a league that is getting more and more aggressive offeensively through the air. the only thing i see from him is a throwback to a type of football that is increasingly getting passed by on the side of the road. i seriously don't see him being any better or much different than fox.

Why?

thats fine as a player. that doesn't make you a good coach. people are giving him far too much credit for being a part of a couple teams that did well. i'm sure his contribution helped, but they weren't won because of him.

i respect him as a player, but i don't see anything that that says this is a guy that help the pantehrs move into the future. i don't see him as being a guy with progresive or innovative ideas. i see run the ball, stop the run. i see tough, but not aggressive. i see old school in a new school and i see bringing a knife to a gun fight because "thats the way it worked when i played."

oh...and being an offensive coach, riding the coattails of some very good and well coached teams to a superbowl or two isn't more impressive than a guy taking a small crappy team and building it into a winning program, not once, but twice. grimm has been around longer and what has he buillt?

for a young team that is in the rebuild stage, i want someone who has made it happen, not someone that has been there while others built it.

Lets just look at the facts here.

The steelers with Grimm were a run first team that stuck to the run no matter what. They lived and died with it. The wheels on the bus go round and round.

The steelers without Grimm were more balanced and led to more points and less work from the great Dick Lebeau.

Oh did I mention that the Steelers had to rely on there Defense to win games when Grimm was there?

Another great fact is that Jim Skipper has a better resume then Grimm and has produced better numbers.

Really? Last time I checked, Grimm has a Superbowl ring, Skipper doesn't....

The Steelers must of done something right in order to get that point... Granted, they are known for their defense but they had a pretty good run offense which is why Grimm is a obvious choice.

Grimm was so awesome that the Steelers passed him over for a totally unproven DB coach from outside the organization... that should tell you something.