• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#151 D34Williams

D34Williams

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

I'm not 'officially' on the Harbaugh/Luck bandwagon, but I'm liking the idea of a college coach, or a successful coordinator either in the NFL or NCAA. Even though I think that traditionally it's harder on a college coach to make it successfully in the NFL, especially quickly. I don't have a name I am stuck on yet, but I shouldn't have said 'hate' to see Grimm here. While I think it could possibly work, I kind of see it like Fox, and keeping things maybe traditional around the organization. I think the team needs someone who is going to revamp the offense, and rebuild on that side of the ball. Where I see Grimm possibly being a character who might try to continue to push and push and see if he can get what we have currently to work. You kind of see what I mean? I feel like I'm rambling...

#152 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

I'm not saying Grimm can't be a good coach, but it's fair to note that the Steelers passed him over for a 35 year old DB coach that they had no prior relationship with.

Tomlin was a defensive coordinator for one year after being a DB coach, and the Steelers have a history of hiring coaches in their 30s.

#153 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

Tomlin was a defensive coordinator for one year after being a DB coach, and the Steelers have a history of hiring coaches in their 30s.

Yes, that's correct - my bad.

I still think it says something about Grimm's qualifications as a HC that they passed him over for Tomlin.

#154 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Why? We dont' need a NAME coach, we need the RIGHT coach. All these 'names' were NOTHING at one time till given a chance. Maybe it is Russ' time?

#155 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

But it's important to remember that this whole idea of Grimm being a HC candidate for us is based on pure speculation by Schefter, so it's really not worth getting excited about either way.

#156 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Sure have, and all it says is that you have to interview a minority candidate... not hire them.

I doubt the Steelers would have hired Tomlin simply because he is a minority if they thought Grimm was more qualified.

Again guys, don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm not saying Grimm can't be a good HC but it says something that the Steelers passed him over for an external candidate.

i'm not saying this is why he got hired or that he wasn't qualified but many league insiders felt that the steelers could put more teeth behind the rule that was created because of them(think tony dungy)

#157 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

I would not be happy with his style of coaching. If your gonna get a hard nosed HC make it Zimmer.

Thanks.

#158 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,038 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

instant respect in the lockerroom won't win you games and harbaugh would command just as much respect, even though he doesn't have a nice yellow jacket. i have seen nothing from him that shows he would be able to compete in a league that is getting more and more aggressive offeensively through the air. the only thing i see from him is a throwback to a type of football that is increasingly getting passed by on the side of the road. i seriously don't see him being any better or much different than fox.
thats fine as a player. that doesn't make you a good coach. people are giving him far too much credit for being a part of a couple teams that did well. i'm sure his contribution helped, but they weren't won because of him.

i respect him as a player, but i don't see anything that that says this is a guy that help the pantehrs move into the future. i don't see him as being a guy with progresive or innovative ideas. i see run the ball, stop the run. i see tough, but not aggressive. i see old school in a new school and i see bringing a knife to a gun fight because "thats the way it worked when i played."

oh...and being an offensive coach, riding the coattails of some very good and well coached teams to a superbowl or two isn't more impressive than a guy taking a small crappy team and building it into a winning program, not once, but twice. grimm has been around longer and what has he buillt?

for a young team that is in the rebuild stage, i want someone who has made it happen, not someone that has been there while others built it.

So basically, you want Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells. Don't see anyone else out there that fills that bill.

#159 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

I think if we have to pick a Steelers coach it should be Bruce Arians. Not that Im loving that pick but he did make the Steelers better.

#160 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

Do people even know what Grimm's style of coaching would be or are they just jumping to conclusions based on his appearance? Yes, I think they are.

#161 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

Do people even know what Grimm's style of coaching would be or are they just jumping to conclusions based on his appearance? Yes, I think they are.

He is a old school run first coach. It was one of the reason the Steelers picked Omar Epps over Grimm.

#162 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,418 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

He is a old school run first coach.

booorrrrrrrrrinnnnnggggggg

#163 sk8termom

sk8termom

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

Well...my friends who are huge Steelers fans will be happy. All I have to say is we better pick Luck. Other than that I don't care.

I'd be even happier if he took Arians with him

#164 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

booorrrrrrrrrinnnnnggggggg

I was thinking ineffective but Boring works.

#165 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Why? We dont' need a NAME coach, we need the RIGHT coach. All these 'names' were NOTHING at one time till given a chance. Maybe it is Russ' time?

i don't care about the name. i care about someone that shows a lot of potential in being able to craft a champion team that will be ahead of the curve rather than fighting against it. before you say i'm jumping on the harbaugh bandwagon, i've been pulling for this guy to be our coach for well over a year now. quitea bit before all they hype came.

But it's important to remember that this whole idea of Grimm being a HC candidate for us is based on pure speculation by Schefter, so it's really not worth getting excited about either way.

true. schefter has a tendency to pull stuff out of his anus like florio. he doesn't do it as often as he used to, but it still happens.

So basically, you want Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells. Don't see anyone else out there that fills that bill.

i'm refering to people that have worked at building a successful program or heavily contributed to it. like zimmer has with defenses he's been involved in. like harbaugh has done with the two programs he built. i just don't see anything soecial about an oline coach. i don't see why i would want a team that is having to deal with some great offensive minds trying to stick to some old school brand of football.

it's got nothing to do with his appearance. it has everythig to do with him being an old school coach who is living off his HoF playing career. if it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be talking about him at all.

He is a old school run first coach. It was one of the reason the Steelers picked Omar Epps over Grimm.

this^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com