52 replies to this topic

#31 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,503 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

I think he's okay. I suspect he'd be even better if he had a competent safety backing him up.

#32 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,955 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

Marshall gets picked on because he's the #2 corner and not quite as good as Gamble.

I really don't understand how our pass defense has been good the past three years if Marshall and Godfrey are god awful and we have had no pass rush to speak of. Gamble and Martin must be godly.

But, but...when statistics don't support our pessimitic view, we just keep saying.....Marshall sucks...he gets abused...Godfrey is a joke.

Yet, those who are better at evaluating talent than any of us disagree.

#33 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,955 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

I think clausen can throw the ball down field he just won't do it.

Clausen looks less like a starting NFL QB than Cantwell did.

I hoped that JC would be the real deal. However, he has shown me absolutely nothing to prove that he can be a starting NFL QB.

I accept rookie mistakes. Yet, Clausen looks so scared and uncomfortable in the pocket that it is almost comical.

He has shown that he struggles reading defenses....can't go through his progressions....is scare shitless after 2 seconds and dumps it off to the RB.

Sorry, but if we go into next season hanging it on the HOPE that Clausen can miraculously get away from "Check Down" Jimmy, we are screwed.

#34 HSCBandit07

HSCBandit07

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

Being that Goodson is the only one on the team doing much of anything on offense, I would be throwing it to him too

#35 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

JC: HERE YOU GO MIKE!
MG: THANKS JIMMY LOL!
JC: GO GO! SAVE MY JOB! I'm still learning LOL :(
MG: <3 i'll try

#36 Ohio

Ohio

The Wizzard of Wisdom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hakeem Nicks had 3tds, yeah good efficiency

#37 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Marshall is a good press corner. When we play zone he looks bad.

#38 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,809 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

Marshall is a good press corner. When we play zone he looks bad.

Anyone can be a good press CB. All you have to do is hold your guy as long as you can within 5 yards.

#39 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

Anyone can be a good press CB. All you have to do is hold your guy as long as you can within 5 yards.

Not nearly as easy as it sounds. WR know when the ball is snap, the CB doesn't. The CB has to wait for the WR to move, then try to jam him. And WR are taught how to get off jams. So I disagree, not everyone can be a good press CB.

#40 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,809 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Not nearly as easy as it sounds. WR know when the ball is snap, the CB doesn't. The CB has to wait for the WR to move, then try to jam him. And WR are taught how to get off jams. So I disagree, not everyone can be a good press CB.

Most CBs can jam. If they cant then there not good CBs.

I mean really if you want to get technical not everyone can be a CB ether. Thats why its hard to find a good corner, but when you do he 99% of the time can jam his WR.

Now releasing and maintaining coverage is something only good CBs can do.

#41 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Marshall has always looked like he had the build of a safety to me.

#42 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

Most CBs can jam. If they cant then there not good CBs.

I mean really if you want to get technical not everyone can be a CB ether. Thats why its hard to find a good corner, but when you do he 99% of the time can jam his WR.

Now releasing and maintaining coverage is something only good CBs can do.

Ok let me rephase. Marshall is best when he is allowed to jam. He isn't a zone CB.

#43 weyco2000

weyco2000

• HUDDLER
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:01 AM

Ok let me rephase. Marshall is best when he is allowed to jam. He isn't a zone CB.

In 2011 he won't be a Panther either, thank God!

#44 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:48 AM

Marshall gets some flak doesn't he?!

Unfortunately most of it is fairly accurate.

He has given up 4 TDs this year whilst only intercepting two passes and breaking up a further 3. On top of this, passes aimed at him have a whopping 75% completion rate which is the worst % amongst himself, Gamble (60.9%) & Munnerlyn (48.6%). That 75% is 3rd worst amongst the 65 cornerbacks who have played at least 50% of their teams snaps.

QBs who target him are racking up a rating of 103.1, behind Gamble (91.5) and Munnerlyn (74.1). This is 13th worst amongst the same 65 cornerbacks. He also has committed 5 penalties, which leads all defensive players on our team.

He is great against the run though, picking up 54 tackles (having missed 10) and has 15 defensive stops to his name.

He just isn't playing like a starting calibre cornerback and in fact is being outplayed by many nickel backs across the league. He was better last year, but poor in 2008. I just think that he will never be a truly consistent performer and suffers from extreme lack of discipline. He might manage to muster a decent contract in the off season, but he certainly (based on his production thus far) is not worth it.

#45 Baschski

Baschski

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:01 AM

Anyone knocking ANY of our corners for giving up a high completion percentage doesn't understand football. We play a zone defense that is designed to keep passes in front of the secondary and deny big plays. Our defensive philosophy is to give up shorter plays and not allow big plays over the top. For the most part it works pretty well, but it will give up a high completion percentage on shorter and intermediate passes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com