Photo
- - - - -

Carolina Panthers owner Richardson to PSL owners: I take full responsibility

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#121 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

Sounds like a "Jerry-come-lately" to me.

I understand that the PSL owners are very important, but it would have been nice----and politically correct---in my opinion, if he had addressed his comments to ALL Panthers' fans. It's probably a tangent, but to me there is just something perverse about directing comments to a piece of the fan base. Frickin' elitist pandering and pooh poohing of the rank and file. It kind of seems like hollow business-speak to the PSL owners, without truly getting in touch with the emotional lifeblood of the fan base.

"emotional lifeblood of the fan base" ... what? I mean, what crap.

#122 FuzzyDuck13

FuzzyDuck13

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Would have liked to see him change his philosophy away from boring 70s steelers football that even the steelers don't want to run anymore.

#123 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

So, if you are still pissed in April....what exactly are you going to do when you get that little invoice?

Either attempt to sell at at devalued prices or simply turn it back in. At some point the $4.5K I pay year for entertainment, ceases to be entertainment and even the initial investment can't make up for the loss of time and lack of enjoyment.

My point is this is a business to me too. I invest. I expect investment by the business provider. If it's not there, and the business plan indicates it is not going to be, I'm stopping my bleeding. I leave it to others younger and dumber than me to invest in it.

#124 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

People that "invested" in PSL's to make money were going about it the wrong way. If your investment advisor told you to buy a PSL as a good investment you should fire them immediately. A stadium only has life span of X number of years. After that, they will sell PSL's again for the next stadium. Granted I am sure prior PSL owners will get a better rate, but that option will have to be repurchased.

I think most people paid the money because they knew the city of Charlotte had to in order to get a NFL team. Also, the city was still in pain over the way the Hornets left and desperately wanted another pro team that wasn't baseball.

For the PSL haters - it is the way of sports now. They are even doing it for college football now. It has all become a big business.

#125 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

Either attempt to sell at at devalued prices or simply turn it back in. At some point the $4.5K I pay year for entertainment, ceases to be entertainment and even the initial investment can't make up for the loss of time and lack of enjoyment.

My point is this is a business to me too. I invest. I expect investment by the business provider. If it's not there, and the business plan indicates it is not going to be, I'm stopping my bleeding. I leave it to others younger and dumber than me to invest in it.

That blows but I cant say that I blame you

#126 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

That blows but I cant say that I blame you

It does and I feel for PSL owners as well. As I stated before, this isn't just a Panther problem, this is now the way of the world for all sports. If you want ANY college or pro season tickets you will have to poney up several thousand dollars just to get the option to buy season tickets. In college they call it Gamecock Club, Pirate Club, etc. This isn't any different than NFL. If you don't continue to pay that $ in college you lose your seats and if you want them back years from now you will have to go through the same process and it will take time to get your priority back. At least with PSL rights you can resale and recoup some of your investment. For college or most other sports, you don't get anything back. Not saying it is right, but it is just how sports is now. A buddy of mine has 2 lower level decent USC season tickets. He pays around $4k a year and these are "decent" seats.

Unless I am missing something, it really isn't any different for PSL owners. It sucks if you are hanging on trying to get your money back, but spending several thousand every year in season tickets waiting for your $10k investment (or whatever you spent) to come back doesn't make sense to me. I am into fishing and when it comes to hobbies, and watching football games is a hobby, you can't ever justify the $ spent. If you are trying to do this then you need to get a new hobby.

Edited by jtm, 09 December 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#127 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

People that "invested" in PSL's to make money were going about it the wrong way. If your investment advisor told you to buy a PSL as a good investment you should fire them immediately. A stadium only has life span of X number of years. After that, they will sell PSL's again for the next stadium. Granted I am sure prior PSL owners will get a better rate, but that option will have to be repurchased.

I think most people paid the money because they knew the city of Charlotte had to in order to get a NFL team. Also, the city was still in pain over the way the Hornets left and desperately wanted another pro team that wasn't baseball.

For the PSL haters - it is the way of sports now. They are even doing it for college football now. It has all become a big business.

I didn't invest my time and finances to make money, now or into the future.

I invested my money because I love pro football and wanted to see it played at it's highest level and if it not highest, then at least competitive.

#128 RockECU

RockECU

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

Also, the city was still in pain over the way the Hornets left and desperately wanted another pro team that wasn't baseball.

Huh? What the heck? The Hornets didn't leave until well after 2000 (2002 if I remember correctly). We were awarded the franchise sometime in 1993. First year of play in stadium was 1996. Had nothing to do with any pain regarding the Hornets.

#129 RockECU

RockECU

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

I invested my money because I love pro football and wanted to see it played at it's highest level and if it not highest, then at least competitive.

So true! COMPETITIVE. What I've seen looks like practice. And ticket prices still go up during a bad economic downturn/