Photo
- - - - -

The Rooney Rule....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

Are you a fan of this rule?

Yes, Meeks was interviewed for several head coaching positions. But its hard to tell which interviews were genuine and which were just to satisfy the Rooney Rule which mandates an African American be interviewed for each Head Coaching job.

If I was Meeks, it would piss me off to think I was just being flown in to satisfy some rule.

#2 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

Are you a fan of this rule?

Yes, Meeks was interviewed for several head coaching positions. But its hard to tell which interviews were genuine and which were just to satisfy the Rooney Rule which mandates an African American be interviewed for each Head Coaching job.

If I was Meeks, it would piss me off to think I was just being flown in to satisfy some rule.

While it can piss you off, it does also get your foot in the door, so to speak. Going through the process can be benfeficial. Even though that candidate may not be hired at that moment, the lessons learned from the interview process can be beneficial in any future searches.

#3 hdevonxz

hdevonxz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:11 AM

well it states a "minority" has to be interviewed, notjust a black person.

#4 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:13 AM

correct, my mistake

#5 joemac

joemac

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

What about midgets? Are they covered under the Rooney Rule? They could even make a reality show about the whole process. "The Littelist General Manager"

#6 Panther Boyd

Panther Boyd

Hates Stupid People

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

I think the rule is BS, and is biased. Look at the case of the Rams, they clearly wanted to sign Haslett after the mid-season turn around, but due to the Rooney Rule, they were obligated to interview a minority, thus he was never hired. But when the 49'ers decided to keep Singletary, were they obligated to interview a white or hispanic coach first? I would hate to think that a rule is necessary in a league that we all love such as the NFL, but if you were an owner with billions invested in a team and interviewed several coaches, white, black, hispanic, or martian, would you not know who you wanted for the job?

#7 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

What about midgets? Are they covered under the Rooney Rule? They could even make a reality show about the whole process. "The Littelist General Manager"

This shows real promise IF weekly, a lucky viewer gets to toss the losing midgets each week into a pool of acid.

Or at least a pool of gatorade.

#8 HighHorse

HighHorse

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:39 AM

Great avatar!

#9 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

I would love to have midgets coaching. The only problem would be if he wins the Superbowl or even a conference championship, he may drown from having the giant cooler of gatorade dumped on him. They'd have to bring in a thermos I guess.

#10 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:47 AM

I think the rule is offensive and racist in origin.

#11 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

I think the rule is offensive and racist in origin.

In a rare moment, I'm going to have to agree with Cyberjag on this one. :D

It's essentially affirmative action in the NFL. Not that affirmative action is entirely without merit: I think it had a place in a society that was by-and-large racially divided.

The National Football League, however, is not necessarily a microcosm of society as a whole. African American players, of course, have always been successful. But in the last decade, African American coaches have become more prominent and have been equally successful.

Also, consider this: if someone is against hiring a minority, they're probably going to do so whether they interview that person or not.

#12 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

If you had no Rooney Rule in place there would be no black head coaches in the NFL. Just like if you had no civil rights legislation passed in the 60s, segregation would still be rampant all over this country. The owners obviously feel they need something to police to themselves. For those saying its racist, has there ever been a time where you had more black coaches than white ones? Are there any black owners in the NFL?

The Rooney Rule works. Ask the Rooney family and Mike Tomlin.

#13 uncpanther

uncpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

If this Rooney rule promotes a fair shake for everyone then it is a good thing, but we should be to a point now in our society were there is no need for rules to make sure everyone gets a fair chance. If the owners refuse to have someone other than white interviewed for a job then they are racist. It should be an open position that goes to the best candidate regardless of race.

#14 bLACKpANTHER

bLACKpANTHER

º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º

• HUDDLER
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

If you had no Rooney Rule in place there would be no black head coaches in the NFL. Just like if you had no civil rights legislation passed in the 60s, segregation would still be rampant all over this country. The owners obviously feel they need something to police to themselves. For those saying its racist, has there ever been a time where you had more black coaches than white ones? Are there any black owners in the NFL?

Thank you...........

#15 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:31 AM

I'm normally down with most of your posts, but this first statement is total bullsh*t man. And who is keeping a black person from buying an NFL team? I'm sure Wayne H. would have sold the Dolphins to a black guy had a black guy outbid Stephen Ross.

Edited by SouthCakPanther, 27 January 2009 - 09:36 AM.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com