167 replies to this topic

#16 ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Cunning Linguist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

I'm normally down with most of your posts, but this statement is total bullsh*t man. And who is keeping a black person from buying an NFL team? I'm sure Wayne H. would have sold the Dolphins to a black guy had a black guy outbid Stephen Ross.

TRUE... but it still may be needed, how are we to know what goes on inside billionaire minds...but on the other hand with Obama in as the prez thats pretty much sayin everybodys down with the brown nowadays... jus sayin...:)

#17 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

Before the Rooney Rule you had what? 2 black head coaches in a league that is 70% black? Its the truth. Look at NCAA football, their track record of hiring black head coaches is HORRIBLE. 119 schools, thousands of black athletes, but only 4 black head coaches. Its a joke. The NBA doesnt have a Rooney Rule. You know why? Because there's a plethora of black NBA head coaches hired and given opportunities every year. The owners dont need to police themselves because they dont have a problem finding black head coaches. NFL owners did, thats why they all (yes all 30 teams) agreed this needed to be put in place.

#18 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,970 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

I'd like to see the number of black assistant coaches who actually submit resumes and show interest in head coaching jobs. In the NBA, black guys actually show interest in coaching positions. Are there an equal number of black guys and white guys interested in open NFL and college jobs? Or do black coaches not submit resumes because they feel there is no chance? If there are 10 open college coaching jobs in a given year, how many black coaches express an interest vs. how many white coaches express an interest? Wonder if those types of figures are available. Because if 10 black coaches interviewed and one white coach interviewed and the white guy got the job, perhaps there are grounds for a case if the 10 black coaches were qualified (i.e. experience, winning records, etc.). For instance, Auburn University is one that I question because the guy from Buffalo had much higher qualifications IMO.

#19 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

Having two black head coaches in the superbowl should have done more for the cause than the rooney rule can offer

#20 omgwtf

omgwtf

DJ Lance Rock

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

Why aren't there any mexican head coaches you rascist pigs

#21 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

Why aren't there any mexican head coaches you rascist pigs

Mexican is not a race

#22 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

Why do we not have female coaches? They're as much a minority, you know.

#23 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

Before the Rooney Rule you had what? 2 black head coaches in a league that is 70% black? Its the truth. Look at NCAA football, their track record of hiring black head coaches is HORRIBLE. 119 schools, thousands of black athletes, but only 4 black head coaches. Its a joke. The NBA doesnt have a Rooney Rule. You know why? Because there's a plethora of black NBA head coaches hired and given opportunities every year. The owners dont need to police themselves because they dont have a problem finding black head coaches. NFL owners did, thats why they all (yes all 30 teams) agreed this needed to be put in place.

You make some good points here. But my thing is, if an owner already has some predisposed bias against black coaches, do you really think an interview is going to change his opinion?

#24 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

Why do we not have female coaches? They're as much a minority, you know.

Is the league 70% female?

#25 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

Actually the men are the minority in the US. Its like gender apartheid.

#26 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

You make some good points here. But my thing is, if an owner already has some predisposed bias against black coaches, do you really think an interview is going to change his opinion?

they cant force the owner to hire anyone but the NFL can at least make sure that minority coaches get a interview. About 70 percent of the NFL players is black..when only about 20 percent of the NFL head coaches are black..now the percents maybe a lil higher or lower but not by much and clearly show i need for the rule

#27 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

Is the league 70% female?

Maybe white NBA players, since they're the minority, deserve more consideration for roster spots.

#28 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:15 AM

John Fox never even played in the NFL.

Clearly, experience as an NFL player is only a fraction of the overall picture in hiring a coach.

No?

#29 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,792 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

they cant force the owner to hire anyone but the NFL can at least make sure that minority coaches get a interview. About 70 percent of the NFL players is black..when only about 20 percent of the NFL head coaches are black..now the percents maybe a lil higher or lower but not by much and clearly show i need for the rule

The % of players who are black in the NFL is completely irrelevant.

If someone is not hiring an African American coach because of his race, then that is wrong.

But, forcing teams to hire someone because of his race is equally wrong.

#30 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

No one forces teams to hire anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com