Photo
- - - - -

What makes Blaine Gabbert different from Tony Pike?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

gabbert's stock might soar with a good combine & pro workout day. it doesn't look like it now but by the time it's all said & done both he and newton could go top 10.

#32 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Gabbert and Newton are the only QBs with a shot at the Top 10.
I'm not too sure what to make of Mallett's stock over the next few months, but I have feeling Locker is about to have a drop of absolutely epic proportions.

What a moron for not coming out.

#33 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Stats aren't everything, but if he can't at least be a standout player in college what makes you think he will be one in the NFL?

As far as the comparison to Tony Pike, I was at least impressed with him when he played at Cincinnati, which is something that I can't say about Blaine Gabbert.

#34 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Ryan Mallet was at least able to put up good numbers against good competition.

#35 bbell21

bbell21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Stats aren't everything, but if he can't at least be a standout player in college what makes you think he will be one in the NFL?

As far as the comparison to Tony Pike, I was at least impressed with him when he played at Cincinnati, which is something that I can't say about Blaine Gabbert.

Was Josh Freeman a standout player in college? No and that is Exactly who Blaine Gabbert reminds me of. Freeman played in a spread system in the big 12 at K State and didn't put up big numbers at all but you could see that his leadership and physical tools! Which is exactly what you see with Gabbert he will struggle at first in the NFL just like Freeman but the finished product would be well worth it. The front office should trade down to about number 5 to get him while picking up another pick like we did with Kerry Collins back in the 95 draft! And as I am sure you guys know most of the time when a brand knew coaching staff is brought in they usually bring in their guy at QB (Fox/Jake, Smith/Ryan, Morris/Freeman, Harbaugh/Flacco) I can only hope we take the same approach with Blaine and take the time to develop him!

#36 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Was Josh Freeman a standout player in college? No and that is Exactly who Blaine Gabbert reminds me of. Freeman played in a spread system in the big 12 at K State and didn't put up big numbers at all but you could see that his leadership and physical tools! Which is exactly what you see with Gabbert he will struggle at first in the NFL just like Freeman but the finished product would be well worth it. The front office should trade down to about number 5 to get him while picking up another pick like we did with Kerry Collins back in the 95 draft! And as I am sure you guys know most of the time when a brand knew coaching staff is brought in they usually bring in their guy at QB (Fox/Jake, Smith/Ryan, Morris/Freeman, Harbaugh/Flacco) I can only hope we take the same approach with Blaine and take the time to develop him!

Cam Newton is pretty comparable to Josh Freeman too. He has shown in live action that he is a good leader (see Auburn v. Alabama). He plays in a spread offense like Gabbert, plus he put up much better numbers against much better teams in much more difficult situations.

#37 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,482 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

Cam Newton is pretty comparable to Josh Freeman too. He has shown in live action that he is a good leader (see Auburn v. Alabama). He plays in a spread offense like Gabbert, plus he put up much better numbers against much better teams in much more difficult situations.

Not trying to take away from Cam here, but not all spreads are created equal and do not ask the same thing of every quarterback... Cam's spread was much more run-focused. He still got it done in the air of course, but the type of spread offense run was different.

#38 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Blaine Gabbert eats butterflies and shits rainbows.

#1 PICK!!!!!!

jkjkjk I'm completely undecided at this point.

#39 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

In all honesty, I don't think Gabbert is the #1 pick this year, I do however think that he could be something special given the time to develop, not thrown in immediately though.

#40 bbell21

bbell21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

I agree with you brother both guys Cam and Blaine are comparable to Freeman! I compare Cam maybe a little more to Mcnabb mainly in the personality, mobility, and arm strength departments minus the choking in big games and I don't believe Donovan played in a spread at Syracuse. I like Blaine and Cam I just don't know if our front office will like Cam because of all the controversy of his past which to me isn't an issue he is alot more intelligent and stable than a guy like Mallet who if we pick anywhere in the top 12 is complete JOKE, but one thing is for sure Cameron would bring excitement back to our franchise! Werther its Newton or Gabbert or maybe even a FA I think the majority of our fan base can agree on one thing Clausen isn't the guy at QB going forward!

#41 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

Gabbert gets up from the above tackle and Tony doesn't

#42 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:15 AM

The idea of having Gabbert or Pike as our QB makes me hope Clausen stays healthy all year

#43 Evil Hurney

Evil Hurney

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Casserly (former GM) likes Gabbert the most out of the top 4 QBs.

#44 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,482 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

dunno why people are putting Gabbert & Pike in the same category.

Gabbert has the physical tools. We'll see if his combine goes well. If so, expect his stock to rise even further; he could be a top 5 or top 3 pick if not the #1.

#45 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,763 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

people keep on saying that gabbert has all the physical tools. who cares? how many don't? he just isn't that good of a QB...at least not first round good. i seriously don't see what all the hype is about. get him in the pocket under a little pressure and the dude gets happy feet and tries passing the ball only his happy feet have messed up his throwing and puts the throws in danger of getting picked off (in the pros easily). in the pros he'd be way too panic prone which would make him mistake prone.

that could be coached out...but it would take some time. he's one oif these guys that you absolutely would not want starting his rookie year or else you are looking at another jimmy clausen experience.

Edited by rayzor, 09 January 2011 - 12:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.