275 replies to this topic

#31 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

I'm in the "hope he does well, but I'm not confident in him" boat.

#32 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

Clausen will be better this year or he will be gone. Thats it.

#33 Hoenheim

Hoenheim

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

I admit I was one of the people who were quick to criticize Jimmy during the season, but I know that our inept coaching staff (and our young, inexperienced, often injured, and all around terrible team members) was a major factor in why he played the way he did. I think that if he starts most of the games next season with good play calling and coaching, with a roster upgrade, we'll really know how good he is.

#34 The Other Colbert

The Other Colbert

new

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

blinded optimism.

I hope he does well too. But I just don't see anything in Jimmy Clausen that is going to make him our guy. I'm glad Rivera isn't throwing him under the bus like Foxy did.

#35 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

By definition, the jury is still out on any 2nd year player... it takes at least 3 years to fully evaluate a rookie.

It used to be unthinkable that a rookie QB could have any success, then we had a run on guys like Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez, Bradford, etc who experienced some success... so now the expectation is that a rookie QB should be ready to play right away or he sucks.

I don't know if Clausen will ever be a viable NFL QB, but I do know it's too early to decide that now.

#36 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

Catman, are you on the Panthers payroll? You sound like it. Its ok, this is just a forum, u can voice ur true feelings here.

#37 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

it takes at least 3 years to fully evaluate a rookie.

So we made need 4-5 years to determine he stinks?

Man the next few years are going to be tough

#38 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

cough Dwayne Jarret cough

#39 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

cough Dwayne Jarret cough

cough You can't count that since that coaching staff is NOT here anymore cough

#40 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Catman, are you on the Panthers payroll? You sound like it. Its ok, this is just a forum, u can voice ur true feelings here.

It's not a matter of feeling, it's a matter of fact.

#41 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

*cough* not adding anything I'm just sick *cough*

#42 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

blinded optimism.

I hope he does well too. But I just don't see anything in Jimmy Clausen that is going to make him our guy. I'm glad Rivera isn't throwing him under the bus like Foxy did.

I agree 100%

Call me a retarded fan if you want, but i was on the "jimmy will suck in NFL" bandwagon before he was even drafted. If he ends up being our franchise QB then I will make a public apology, but I've never liked the kid and I don't think he will be a good pro.

#43 Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel

Respect the Rivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

As others have stated, the kid had nothing to work with. And kid is the best term for him in NFL stature. He turned 23 when the season started, had a terrible O-line that was without their beast of a RT. All of the RB's were hurt at some point this year, two rookie WR's and the best offensive weapon was oft-injured and pouty when he wasn't. Tight ends? Really... come on. His GM/owner gave him no weapons via free agency and his coaching staff was out to lunch and he had minimal leadership getting him acclimated to the NFL speed of the game. Yes, he looked terrible and his release is too low, small hands, etc., but passing judgment on a 2nd round QB (that could've gone late 1st), played in a pro-style offense at a top college program after one season is kinda jumping the gun. I'm not saying he will be Steve Young or Joe Montana, but to ship him out without evaluating him for a couple of seasons is a little brash.

#44 RealisticFan

RealisticFan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

I am hesitant to be PRO Clausen, but I am not ruling out improvement and progression in his play. That said, he had no chance to succeed this year so it's a bit harsh to make any firm judgement on him either way.

Regardless, we should bring in a vet who has impeccible work ethic off the field. If the best thing Jimmy achieves is always being prepared and working hard, the worst we have with him is a great back up.

This is where I stand on the matter as well. Don't be overly critical and accept his faults, but still be willing to accept that he may not be the future if he shows that to be the case.
:grouphug:

#45 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

I don't know for sure that Clausen is a bust, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to be very good, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com