82 replies to this topic

#1 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,460 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

It will be this Saturday on NFLN (not sure what time yet). Marty Hurney will be on hand.

Todd McShay listed some players to watch:

* Offensive tackle: There is still plenty of wiggle room on top of our board. Colorado's Nate Solder, Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi and Boston College's Anthony Castonzo are the top three senior prospects (the only underclassman in the mix is USC's Tyron Smith, who is No. 11 overall).

* Defensive end: Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan, Iowa's Adrian Clayborn and Miami's Allen Bailey can all get after the quarterback. All will be players to watch this week in Mobile.

* Boston College OLB Mark Herzlich: Herzlich's story is well known at this point. He was one of the top outside linebacker prospects in the country when doctors discovered a tumor in his leg and he missed the entire 2009 season. The courage and resiliency he showed in coming back is remarkable. Unfortunately, teams can't afford to draft based on emotion and he hasn't been the same player since he's returned to the field. If he can show the same kind of range and athleticism he showed in 2008 this week, his stock will benefit.

* Texas A&M DE/OLB Von Miller: Miller played a hybrid outside linebacker/defensive end role at Texas A&M and he projects best at outside linebacker. He has some experience dropping into zone coverage, but teams will want to see how well he opens his hips and matches up in man coverage drills. Miller should also wow scouts with his first-step quickness, body control and closing speed during one-on-one pass-rushing drills this week.

* Oregon State DT Stephen Paea: We don't question Paea's ability to play the run. At 6-foot-1, he has the low center of gravity to get under offensive linemen and the strength to hold his ground once he establishes position. The key for Paea will be showing he can get to the quarterback this week.

* Defensive tackles: In addition to Paea, keep an eye on Baylor's Phil Taylor, LSU's Drake Nevis and Clemson's Jarvis Jenkins when watching defensive tackles this week.

http://espn.go.com/b...the-senior-bowl

Actually are coming from Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, who selected some of the guys McShay listed. theres a bigger list that I don't have, because I don't have ESPN insider.

#2 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

Michigan State LB Greg Jones measured 5-foot-11 and 240 pounds during Monday's Senior Bowl weigh-in.

I know some teams will pass on him because of his size but he is good player.

#3 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,566 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

Too bad LB is of little concern for us.

Hope to see some good things come from this week.

#4 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,297 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

granted, a little too much can be made out of the combine/senior bowl/etc, but it'll be nice to see a little distinction from key players..

#5 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

i know mcshay is really interested to see how locker will do with a decent offensive line.

#6 firstdayfan

firstdayfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

I'm interested in seeing some of the tight ends. The shrine game was a disappointment so I'm hoping to find some favorites in the senior bowl. I will also have my eye on Andy Dalton to see how he responds. Should be fun.

Practice is today on NFLN by the way.

#7 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

i know mcshay is really interested to see how locker will do with a decent offensive line.

Yea Locker could move his stock up if he has a good game. I doubt it will move him to the first round though.

#8 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,778 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

For those of you that have it, NFLN will be broadcasting the practices this week leading up to the game with Mayock and Charles Davis, two of the most knowledgeable guys in the game, especially draft-wise stuff...

They offer interesting insight into the players throughout the practice.

Speaking of Jake Locker, I'm really starting to change my mind about him. First play of 7 on 7s, as Mayock is talking about his issue being accuracy and no balls should hit the ground, Locker throws an INT. No pressure, simulated rush, nothing. Just throws a pick. 2nd throw he throws about 5 feets over the head of a checkdown in the middle of the field to the RB.

#9 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,297 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

I'm watching the practices now.. love that Mayock is on there breaking everything down..

I wouldn't put much stock in today's practices, proudiddy.. the QBs don't have any rhythm with these receivers and they are all full of nerves today as it is...

#10 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,566 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Mayock has Locker as #2 QB.

#11 GoHeels74

GoHeels74

Thank You TJ!

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

I watched the 1st practice and I was very impressed by the two WR's from Boise State. The really fast one (I think his name was Titus Young) absolutely burned Kendric Burney (CB from UNC) in a 1 on 1 drill. That guy is going to be a big time playmaker in the NFL.

#12 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

This is true but the Panthers will go BPA no matter the need.

#13 GoHeels74

GoHeels74

Thank You TJ!

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

This is true but the Panthers will go BPA no matter the need.

I wish we'd stop this BPA crap. I think the Panthers should draft their biggest needs first then go BPA in the later rounds. Our biggest needs are obviously QB and DT and since there are no elite QB's at the top of this draft we should take the best elite DT which is Nick Fairley.

#14 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,963 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

In terms of OL I am very interested in Gabe Carimi...that guy is a beast and from a school known to work well with O-linemen-Wisc.

#15 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

For those of you that have it, NFLN will be broadcasting the practices this week leading up to the game with Mayock and Charles Davis, two of the most knowledgeable guys in the game, especially draft-wise stuff...

They offer interesting insight into the players throughout the practice.

Speaking of Jake Locker, I'm really starting to change my mind about him. First play of 7 on 7s, as Mayock is talking about his issue being accuracy and no balls should hit the ground, Locker throws an INT. No pressure, simulated rush, nothing. Just throws a pick. 2nd throw he throws about 5 feets over the head of a checkdown in the middle of the field to the RB.

He blows. Sure, he has the measurable and potential. But he just isn't a good qb. I can't wait to see what that returnoffox guy has to say about this. He was a Locker nuthugger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.