20 replies to this topic

#1 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

And people question why I might want (or need) a .50 cal rifle!

Leon Lott's Big Toy

Richland County, South Carolina Sheriff Leon Lott planning to pursue charges against Michael Phelps...This is the same Sheriff from here in the Citings section of Reason Mag.

In March the sheriff and SWAT team of Richland County, South Carolina, posed for a photo with an impressive new piece of equipment: an M113A1 armored personnel carrier. The vehicle, which moves on tank-like tracks, features a belt-fed, turreted machine gun that fires .50-caliber rounds.

The sheriff, Leon Lott, obtained the $300,000 vehicle through the 1033 program, named for a 1997 federal law streamlining the Defense Department's transfer of surplus military equipment to local police departments.

Charles Earl Barnett, a U.S. Marines veteran and retired police major who has served on several United Nations and NATO military and peacekeeping missions, says a .50-caliber machine gun is "completely inappropriate" for domestic police work. It "causes mass death and destruction," Barnett says. "It's indiscriminate. I can't think of a possible scenario where it would be appropriate."

Sheriff Lott has named his new acquisition The Peacemaker, explaining in a press release that the name is fitting because "the bible refers to law enforcement in Matthew 5:9 'Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.' "

Let's just hope God helps the next kid who lights up at a University of South Carolina frat party.

#2 natty

natty

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

Posted Image

I could see a use for that in day to day police work.

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,619 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

They sell quite a few of these for law enforcement, and they take the machine gun off.

#4 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,163 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

People roll differently down in SC shinner.
Ask Phelps that.
They still allow fireworks and no motorcycle helmets. I love me some Palmetto State.

#5 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,100 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

All this has happened since I moved down here.

(I swear it's not my fault; I haven't even had a traffic ticket) :(

#6 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

They sell quite a few of these for law enforcement, and they take the machine gun off.

I didn't find the original article so I don't know if this one came with the mini gun or not....judging by this looney sheriff's words I don't think his ego could stand having the vehicle without it though. And even if he did take it off, I'm sure it could be mounted easily enough for population control.

#7 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,619 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

That picture posted above does not have a 50 cal mounted. Don't know if its accurate or not though.

But it doesn't really matter what the cop wants, its what the US government will allow him to buy. I may be wrong, but I don't think the police can legally buy a 50 cal MG.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 07 February 2009 - 11:41 PM.

#8 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

holy poo

#9 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:25 AM

it will be a sad day if they charge phelps. there is no way they can prove that it was marijuana that he was smoking. all of us know that it was, but it is their job to prove it.

#10 natty

natty

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

That picture posted above does not have a 50 cal mounted. Don't know if its accurate or not though.

But it doesn't really matter what the cop wants, its what the US government will allow him to buy. I may be wrong, but I don't think the police can legally buy a 50 cal MG.

It probably not accurate. I just searched images for M113A1 and picked a nice menacing looking one. :)

#11 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,969 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

within proper cities apcs can be useful in breaking up protests that get too out of hand.

there's no reason to have one in SC, though. the population is too spread out for it to do any good and it's not like the fat cows are ever going to take to the streets for anything that doesn't have something to do with hardee's going out of business.

#12 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,900 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

I don't know. My town is trying to enforce the law against parking work vans with graphics in your driveway. You also can't park your boat trailer in your driveway. We might need one of those M113A1s. Motherf*ckers don't play in Tega Cay.

I love South Carolina BTW. We had a 50% property tax reduction. I can buy fireworks. I can finally buy beer on Sunday in Tega Cay. And most importantly, I can golf year-round. Shot an 84 yesterday.

Edited by SouthCakPanther, 09 February 2009 - 09:46 AM.

#13 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

And no smoke in our restaurants!

Short DMV lines, too. lol

#14 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

They needed that thing yesterday at Fort Mill Golf Club to vaporize the group front of me. If it takes you 7 shots to reach a green on a Par 3, you suck and should spend your money on lessons, not green's fees.

Thankfully the guys at the clubhouse were nice enough to give us a free round when we complained. We teed off at 1:30 and made the turn well close to 5:00.

#15 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,900 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

[quote name='Carolina Husker']They needed that thing yesterday at Fort Mill Golf Club to vaporize the group front of me. If it takes you 7 shots to reach a green on a Par 3, you suck and should spend your money on lessons, not green's fees.

Thankfully the guys at the clubhouse were nice enough to give us a free round when we complained. We teed off at 1:30 and made the turn well close to 5:00.[/QUOTE]
:eek: I would have went f*ckin' nuts.

I drove the green on number 11 (par 4, Grand View- Tega Cay GC) yesterday. Rolled just off the back. The group in front of me had two kids. They were well off the green when I hit. As they were driving away in the cart, the one kid got out, ran down behind the green, and picked up my ball.

Still won $23 playing Wolf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com