86 replies to this topic

#61 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

How much does the President get paid?

So if the CEO's get the same salary as the president, do they also get all the other perks of being president? A couple of jumbo jets to ride around on, hundreds of flunkies to do their bidding, along with secret service protection for the rest of their lives? :)

#62 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

So if the CEO's get the same salary as the president, do they also get all the other perks of being president? A couple of jumbo jets to ride around on, hundreds of flunkies to do their bidding, along with secret service protection for the rest of their lives? :)

I'd be totally happy for all the CEO's to make 400,000 a year and get all the perks that (for all intents and purposes) they already get. That'd be a damn sight better than say 80 mill plus the perks.

#63 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

Obama flew Air Force One down to Williamsburg, VA last week. I guess the Hummer was in for repairs.

#64 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

I'd be totally happy for all the CEO's to make 400,000 a year and get all the perks that (for all intents and purposes) they already get. That'd be a damn sight better than say 80 mill plus the perks.

No CEO gets anywhere close to the perks the president gets. Of course many (but not all) of those perks are a requirement of the job.

#65 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

Obama flew Air Force One down to Williamsburg, VA last week. I guess the Hummer was in for repairs.

Presidential motorcade from DC to Williamsburg would have made traffic a nightmare all the way down 95/64. Probably would have cost more than it did to fly AF1.

#66 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

Presidential motorcade from DC to Williamsburg would have made traffic a nightmare all the way down 95/64. Probably would have cost more than it did to fly AF1.

Why not just host the damn thing in Washington, then?

#67 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

I think the pay caps are a very bad idea. There are stock options to play around with but I see it as the equivalent of bailing out the Detroit Lions and saying they can only pay their head coach $100K. Why kind of talent do you think they'll get with that pay?

#68 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,753 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

Gotta placate the public, and to be honest, the corporate retreats and parties that we have all heard about really piss taxpayers off.

#69 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

Of course they did it to appease the public, but that doesn't make it less retarded.

Lets give them money to get back on their feet, but bust a kneecap in the process. It just doesn't make sense.

Everyone just needs to come to grips that some of these guys are assholes - assholes that play a major part in the health of our economy.

#70 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

Of course they did it to appease the public, but that doesn't make it less retarded.

Lets give them money to get back on their feet, but bust a kneecap in the process. It just doesn't make sense.

Everyone just needs to come to grips that some of these guys are assholes - assholes that play a major part in the health of our economy.

Yea? So? They don't get carte blanche to spend taxpayer money however the fug they feel like, then come back and ask for more. If you are shitty enough at your job that you put your multi-billion dollar company in the hands of the feds then no, I don't think you should get your pizza party this year. Sorry, tough poo. You behave like children, you get treated like children.

#71 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

zod

#72 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

The armchair Presidenting here is lol-worthy

#73 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

Yea? So? They don't get carte blanche to spend taxpayer money however the f*ck they feel like, then come back and ask for more. If you are sh*tty enough at your job that you put your multi-billion dollar company in the hands of the feds then no, I don't think you should get your pizza party this year. Sorry, tough sh*t. You behave like children, you get treated like children.

I suggest you think about the situation logically instead of emotionally. If you're against the bailout that's fine, I'm not too happy about it either. But if it's going to be done then do it, and don't put a stupid provision that limits their ability to rebound.

This isn't about vacations and parties, it's about paying someone a proper salary for the job they do. You hire people based on their talent, you give them a salary based on that talent - it's as simple as that.

If my tax dollars are going to go to a company then I want that company to succeed so they can repay. I want that company to get the best people they can, at a salary they deserve.

No matter what, tax money is going to pay for new diamond earrings for some trophy wife, trying to limit pay to executives doesn't change that.

#74 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

natty i think we've proven inconclusively that money doesn't guarantee you get to hire the best people in the financial industry

#75 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

I suggest you think about the situation logically instead of emotionally. If you're against the bailout that's fine, I'm not too happy about it either. But if it's going to be done then do it, and don't put a stupid provision that limits their ability to rebound.

This isn't about vacations and parties, it's about paying someone a proper salary for the job they do. You hire people based on their talent, you give them a salary based on that talent - it's as simple as that.

If my tax dollars are going to go to a company then I want that company to succeed so they can repay. I want that company to get the best people they can, at a salary they deserve.

No matter what, tax money is going to pay for new diamond earrings for some trophy wife, trying to limit pay to executives doesn't change that.

give them a good salary, they deserve it, and they are in the private sector they deserve more than those in the public sector, but bonuses? fug that. bonuses for failing? for not only tanking your company, but the economy at large? fug that. It has nothing to do with emotion, how can you talk about paying people fair salaries when these companies are laying off tens of thousands of people instead of cutting their management's pay? What good is that doing? The stimulus bill, regardless of how I feel about it was created to infuse the system with money, to provide work and jobs for the people, not to keep the rich in the standard of living that they are used to while the working and middle classes take the hit. I understand that people are going to abuse the system regardless, and greed during flush times is a necessary evil in a capitalistic society, but everyone has to take the hit now, the people, the managers, the unions, everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.