Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kettle

The Official Home Brew Thread

149 posts in this topic

Please explain?

rack(siphon) the beer off the yeast cake into another container before it is completely finished fermenting. around the 5th day. your bottling bucket will probably work if you can seal it. if you can't seal it then go from the fermenter to the bottler and then back again after cleaning the fermenter. let it sit for a while before bottling. the instructions with my kit say 2 weeks.

yea, i'd say it decreases the amount of yeast in your bottles by about 3/4. Just make sure you don't kick up the yeast in your primary when you go to rack.

When I transferred my last I just dumped 5 gallons of apple cider into the primary on top of the yeast cake and let er rip. Voila... cider.

give more details please. my wife would love this. how long did you let it sit? did you still bottle with priming sugar? etc.

i have two fermentors so I when i transferred the last batch into my secondary, I left the yeast cake on my primary. I had gone down to the farmer's market earlier and got 5 gallons of fresh (no preservative) apple cider. Dumped cider on top of yeast cake. Let sit. KICKING fermentation.

I've never made cider but I've been reading up on it. You can increase alcohol content dramatically by adding sugar. Either way the primary issue is that your cider is gonna be dry and it's gonna be difficult to back sweeten it without creating bottle bombs. I dont mind dry cider so it's not a problem for me.

I haven't bottled yet. i've read that it's recommended to leave in primary for 4 weeks or so. Cider seems to take a little longer for whatever reason.

i'm still working my way through it. plan on leaving in primary for a while then rack for a couple of weeks then in bottles for like 4 or 5 months. I'll keep you updated.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=bd793c8de31bfb2c11d7e0de111934be

lots of good info here.

Maybe I can get a glass vessel from my grandfather.

He used to make a lot of wine, and should have some sitting around.

Just tasted my DFH aprihop clone, and it is fantastic.

I am going to bring some brews to the GreenBay tailgate.

I am hoping to score a ticket in exchange. ;)

Okay, so all you guys get good at this, then I will throw some funds behind it when ready and we can start our own micro-brewery. Who wouldn't want to make beer for a living?

Every guys dream isn't it.

I think that is a very very difficult business to succeed at from a business standpoint. But I applaud anyone for even trying. I applaud you boys for even home brewing. I remember watching Beer Wars and the guy from Dogfishhead talking about how hard it was, but again,hats off.

I'm only half way thru this thread, but it's these kind of quality threads I enjoy reading on the huddle, rather than the 300th, Armanti Edwards wildcat/gimic play thread.

@TheSaint. It is pretty hard, but its worth it. With these kits that I'm using it takes around 3 hours including clean up to put a brew together. Then, depending on how good you want your brew to be and how much patience you have, you'll wait anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks before you drink one. It has really satisfied the desire I always had to grow my own bud. Since this is legal and I no longer smoke, home brewing was a great hobby to get into.

Next weekend my wife is going out of town for a baby shower, and I have the whole weekend to myself. I plan to bottle my dunkelweizen Friday night, and then brew a Russian Imperial Stout on Saturday. I've been wanting to do that one for a while, and I found the kit in a brew shop today. It should come out great and somewhere between 8 and 9%.

Got everything done that I wanted this weekend. Also, popped open my last liter of the nut brown ale that I made to kickoff the regular season. I hated to see it finished, but man it was good.

Next tasks are going to be labeling the dunkelweizen which I've decided to call Monkey Dunk. Gonna put together an image of an Ape slamming a basketball for that one. Should also be moving the stout into secondary next weekend.

I bottled a stout this weekend. 7% ABV. I got 46 of them, and they should be good in a few weeks. I'm not sure what I'll do next. This really is a time consuming hobby with cleaning, brewing and bottling so I'm not even sure when I'll find the time to do another one. Hopefully within the month, but its hard when you have a family to take care of and other hobbies you want to devote time to.

I just brew while I'm watching football... It's perfect.