Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam Newton Workout Phenomenal

694 posts in this topic

Posted

That is because people make stupid comments like "Big Ben came from a spread, draft Cam Newton!"

My overall take on him is neutral. You know why? I see flaws, but he's got ALL the measurables and it gives him huge upside. I think he's a project, but that isn't meant to be some kind of derogatory statement. Rivers and Rodgers were reportedly projects coming in, too. I also have commended the fact he was able to stay focused despite the NCAA crap going on this year, and I even said that was evidence that ran counter to the people comparing him to VY. I've also said over, and over, and over... and I'll say it again here... that if the Panthers believe in Cam Newton they better pull the trigger and draft him #1. I'm glad I'm not a scout that has to decide that.

I've seen five games from him, and while I was impressed by how he decimated people in college, I wasn't blown away by what he was bringing to an NFL QB position. That is just my personal opinion, but it can change. I'm also not going to get very excited when he looks impressive at a workout because other prospects have done the same and been awful. I'm also going to correct people who say things like "well he plays in the same offense as Bradford so he can transition just as quick" or "Big Ben was a running quarterback and he did fine." And before you say it, I've also commented about people who think he will fail because of VY/Russell, but there are plenty of people who do that already. So yes. At times I may look like a hater, but it's more a hate on pooty comparisons and hype than it is on the player himself. =P

That's cool you can admit your reaction is negative when Cam is brought up because of stupid comparisons of him.

That makes sense.

I think.

Maybe.

1 person likes this

Posted

That's cool you can admit your reaction is negative when Cam is brought up because of stupid comparisons of him.

That makes sense.

I think.

Maybe.

:rolleyes:

I like to disagree on forums. I like to debate. I don't take it personally. I enjoy discussions with facts and different opinions. This causes me to dislike stupid comparisons about any player, though, because they are usually driven less by facts and more by strange opinion.

Cam Newton draws a lot of strange comparisons because of how big an unknown he is, that's all.

Posted

If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering

This is the problem. Scouts didn't see it.

Because they weren't allowed, not because Newton held them away.

The scouts will see him at the combine, at pro day and during team workouts. This private exhibition doesn't preclude the usual stuff.

Posted

:rolleyes:

I like to disagree on forums. I like to debate. I don't take it personally. I enjoy discussions with facts and different opinions. This causes me to dislike stupid comparisons about any player, though, because they are usually driven less by facts and more by strange opinion.

Cam Newton draws a lot of strange comparisons because of how big an unknown he is, that's all.

I can vouch for that. Me and Mav have been battling it out for two weeks now over Cam. But he hasn't made it personal. He just likes to fight and so do I.

Cam is the single greatest player of all time. Mav can't deny it :thumbsup:

Posted

Me and blackcat versus the world!!!! or at least Mav and the real deal :)

Posted

Here's a 10 min vid of Cam's workout:

">

Posted

The most important thing for the Panthers at this point is that any player generates the type of interest that gives the #1 pick the leverage to create multiple options.

Posted

That is because people make stupid comments like "Big Ben came from a spread, draft Cam Newton!"

sounds good to me

And here I thought this kind of thing only happened on sitcoms :lol:

Posted

What is a newton?

cookiesgalleryfignewtons.jpg

Posted

free box with every jersey!

Posted

Me and blackcat versus the world!!!! or at least Mav and the real deal :)

You really don't want blackcat on your team...you'd be better off choosing KoolKat.

I never claimed to have inside info. I'm going by what I have heard countless number of experts say for countless number of years in the media. The lengths you people go to put down anyone who doubts Cam are hilarious....

This.

Haha 2003 was even worse. Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller and Rex Grossman all taken in the first. Granted Carson was awesome till his leg got shredded but still.....

Best QB from the class UDFA Tony Romo....

No, Palmer is by far the best QB from that class. Palmer has been in one of the worst environments around and was a top 3 QB until he got hurt.

Matt Moore will probably go to Dallas, Who is Dallas's back up QB? total speculation though

Wouldn't be surprising one bit. The staff really liked him there, especially Garrett, so I could see him landing there and wouldn't think anything of it.

That was the first time I saw it. Hope we at least bring him in for a workout and interview after the combine whether he throws there or not.

We will most definitely bring him in for a workout and interviews, same with the other top 10 guys. We'll probably bring in Gabbert as well.

One thing to look for in that extended video is when he gets to the top of his drop, look how long it takes him to shift his weight and finish his throw. His drops are getting faster but it still seems that he doesn't shift his weight well and it might be because he is off balance during his drop trying to go too fast.

You don't really see him hit that fifth step, plant and throw. He usually has to hitch and it takes him some time to shift his weight going forward to throw.

Posted

I also want to remind everyone about The Golden Calf of Bristol's workout last year and his improved throwing motion. This season you could see he reverted back to his old habits and the "improvements" didn't stick. When the bullets are flying it's a lot different then when they aren't.

Just some food for thought, take it as you will.