186 replies to this topic

#136 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

anyway Cam Newton is a project. We always knew he was. Anyone who thought differently is crazy.

For the record I have agreed with this throughout. But when I look at projects I think that people with footwork issues can make a more rapid development than people with throwing mechanics issues. It is easier with the footwork than revamping your "swing". Plus I think it is a positive that he is mobile enough to make plays with his feet until he feels more comfortable.

I know he is a project. Just not the type that will take 2 or 3 years (mechanically that is, it takes most all QB's 2-3 years mentally).

#137 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Haven't seen the interview yet and only recorded part of it.

He did throw another third person bomb in there.

#138 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,998 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

He did throw another third person bomb in there.

Wow, pretty stupid.

#139 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

Wow, pretty stupid.

You know. I guess I get it. But he does it in a introspective and not in a arrogant way. It just simply doesn't bother me. Maybe I am blind but I don't see it as a negative.

#140 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

So he thinks about himself in the third person or something? Still don't like it at all.

#141 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

taylor also had a 10' 6" broad jump, just saying, kids a stud athlete just not the hieght people want.

#142 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

I don't get the whole speaking in third person thing. It just doesn't really make sense to me.

And, I do hate that as soon as someone brought up the whole "entertainer and icon" thing, he, of course, said that it was taken out of context, and he should've specified what he was talking about. What the hell could he have meant?

"Hey, I'm an entertainer and icon."

"So, you think you're an entertainer and icon already?"

"That's not what I mean. I meant that I'm very humble, and I think that I will fit in well with my teammates."

"Wut?"

#143 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,215 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

Likely hurt our chances of getting the best possible trade down offer :(

#144 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

So he thinks about himself in the third person or something? Still don't like it at all.

I mean it in the sense that he says things like, "I want to be the best person that Cam Newton can be."

He isn't saying it in arrogant ways like , "Cam Newton is going to play football the way cam Newton wants to play football." It isn't that kind of stuff. I get it rubs some people the wrong way but I think that it is petty to criticize the guy over it.

#145 jks85

jks85

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

it's not petty when you look at the mentality of most people who refer to themselves in the 3rd person. sure it might not matter at all, but idk how it could be a good thing so we are looking at something that is neutral in the best case which is disconcerting. mix that in with the entertainer and icon talk and yeah, have to worry where his head is

#146 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

ehh. Still sounds weird.

It's one thing if he's like "Analysts are always saying things about me like Cam plays in a spread" but this isn't that kinda stuff..

#147 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

do not want

#148 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

I've been looking over the top QB last night and today. I'm not a scout so everything I'm gathering is the words of people who play scouts on TV. With that said here is what I've gathered on the top 4 QBs.

Cam Newton: Newton is a big physical QB who has a good arm and great athleticism. He is a bit raw as it comes to working with progessions and reading defenses before the snap. The one big comment that I've seen that has stood out to me was that Newton must "see his recievers in a window" in order to throw them the ball. That isn't so much a negative in general as it is just a trait that he has but one that is hard to reteach at this point in his career and one that doesn't fit well within the Air Coryell / Zampesse / Turner offense. That type of mindset is a better fit with a West Coast offense. Comparable QB would be Steve Young and Donovan McNabb.

Blaine Gabbert: Gabbert has a lot of good qualities but he also has his weaknesses. The biggest of which is that his accuracy is horrible when he is asked to throw deep or over the middle. Again this doesn't mean he can't be a good QB in the NFL but not in a ACO. He could fit into a WCO but would be the best fit in a EPO as his biggest strength is that he is very good before the snap, readind defenses and going through his progressions. Comparable QBs would be Kyle Orton and Matt Cassel.

Jake Locker: Locker is a very athlectic and accurate QB with a strong arm. His decission making has been his biggest weakness so far and his size isn't as ideal as it could be. His arm suggests a great fit in an ACO but his size could be an issue. Comparable QBs would be Drew Brees and David Gerrard.

Ryan Mallett: Mallett has the size and arm stregnth of your prototypical franchise QB. He's not that mobil or athletic but he isn't a statue either. He most accurate when throwing over the middle and down the field. Maturity has been a concern but if your looking for a QB to fit into the ACO that this team will probably run then Mallett fits that mold to a T. Comparable QBs would be Phillip Rivers and Troy Aikman.

Mallett is the best fit for Chud's offense. That doesn't mean he should be drafted #1 overall though but when talking about all of the QB prospects he is the best match. So it also doesn't mean he shouldn't be the #1 overall.

But again, just my opinion and that is of a guy that doesn't even play a scout on the internet...

#149 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

Who said Locker was accurate? His lack of accuracy has been the knock on him from the start.

#150 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,814 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

Cam has great mechanics, quick release, nice follow through.

He needs to work on his footwork. What did you expect with him working on it since the first of the year?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com